Asus intros two new Z77 boards, one with native Thunderbolt support

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Asus has added two new motherboards to their Z77 lineup that include support for Thunderbolt connectivity, the P8Z77-V Premium and the P8Z77-V Pro/Thunderbolt. The Premium is an entirely new offering that will be the first board certified by Intel to include the technology while the Pro/Thunderbolt adds support to the existing Pro board.

The Premium offering includes four PCI Express 3.0 x16 slots, support for Ivy Bridge processors, DDR3 memory up to 2800MHz and 20 power phases just for the CPU. Bluetooth 3.0 comes standard and there are six SATA 6Gb/sec ports, two eSATA 6Gb/sec ports, six USB 3.0 headers and two Intel Gigabit Ethernet controllers.

thunderbolt asus z77 asus z77

Asus is also throwing in a 32GB mSATA SSD designed to use Intel’s Smart Response caching technology and Rapid Start technology. There is no pricing available for the Premium just yet but we can pretty well assume it won’t be cheap.

"Intel and Asus have worked closely on the implementation of ThunderboltTM technology onto Asus motherboards", said Jason Ziller, Intel's Director of Thunderbolt Marketing. "The P8Z77-V PREMIUM is the first Thunderbolt certified motherboard in the industry, a testament to its solid design and compatibility."

Despite only having a single Thunderbolt connection, this won’t be a problem as the technology allows users to daisy-chain up to six devices through a single connection. The company worked with third party hard drive manufacturers like LaCie and Elgato to ensure Thunderbolt compatibility with Windows. This is certainly a step in the right direction as far as Thunderbolt’s rollout is concerned. Up to this point, the technology hasn’t seen much support outside of select Apple products.

Permalink to story.

I always see these articles and then look for them available online and cant ever seem to find the products that Techspot says "added to their lineup" and so on. I guess maybe when I think "added to their lineup" I think I can go out and by it then, but that's apparently my misconception.

I usually then tend to completely forget about these products, not always, but often.

Most people who actually have an intention of buying hardware;
1. Know where to look to find it and,
2. Have a reasonable expectation that product announcements usually precede widespread availability...a bit pointless putting out a product press release a couple of months after initial release just to ensure that every corner of the world has it on shelves

Guest said:
I usually then tend to completely forget about these products, not always, but often
Too much aluminium in your diet, or not all that interested in the product to start with? Most of us contemplating the purchase of a $US300+ motherboard might actually manage to keep at least some degree of interest for the week or so before it starts hitting the shelves

At $50/2m for a thunderbolt cable, on the PC it's dead before it's even started..
New adopter tax. Care to guess how much a bog standard HDMI cable retailed for in 2005-06 ? How about $90 active DP adapters less than eighteen months ago- a part that's now sub-$30.

Probably an easier proposition to take the long view when it comes to new tech....not difficult to find failed would-be Nostradamus's on sites everywhere telling all and sundry that product X wouldn't have a viable future because of the prevailing conditions of the present.

Back