Asus launches the VivoBook S510, an Ultrabook for those on a budget

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Price and style often go hand in hand when shopping for a new laptop. In general, the more money you’re willing to plop down for a machine, the better it’s going to look and feel. As Asus highlights with its latest Ultrabook, however, that doesn’t always have to be the case.

The Asus VivoBook S is an affordable machine that looks way more appealing than its price point would suggest. It features a modest 15.6-inch matte display with a resolution of 1,920 x 1,080 driven by either an Intel Core i5-7200U or Core i7-7500U processor, Intel HD graphics and 8GB (or up to 32GB) of RAM.

Local storage is handled by a 128GB M.2 SATA solid state drive and a 1TB 5,400 RPM hard drive although again, for a bit more coin, you can upgrade to a pair of 1TB SSDs (there’s also an SD card reader for easy expansion / file transfers).

Windows 10 comes standard, as does the 802.11ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.1 wireless connectivity and 42WHr, 3-cell li-ion battery. You also get a full complement of I/O ports including USB 3.1 Type-C, USB 3.0, USB 2.0, HDMI and a combination audio jack.

What sets the system apart from most budget laptops is the beautiful brushed aluminum chassis and slim measurements. The VivoBook S measures 14.2 inches wide and 0.7 inches thick with a bezel of just 0.3 inches which Asus says affords an 80 percent screen-to-body ratio.

Pricing starts at just $699 (Core i5, 8GB of RAM and a 1TB hard drive) although I’d highly recommend springing for a model with a solid state drive (starting at $799). Systems are available as of writing from several retailers including B&H and Newegg as well as directly from Asus.

Permalink to story.

799 A BUDGET? a budget is the used $350 lenovo laptop I got from ebay and no regrets here

These are actually quality built laptops though, not cheap plastic and questionable components inside. Yes, they are not cheap, but they are what the original ultrabook concept was meant to be, just a few years later.

799 A BUDGET? a budget is the used $350 lenovo laptop I got from ebay and no regrets here

These are actually quality built laptops though, not cheap plastic and questionable components inside. Yes, they are not cheap, but they are what the original ultrabook concept was meant to be, just a few years later.

well said. very well built and beautiful. trying to get zenbook 3 deluxe or latest zenbook pro UX550. unfortunately both are unavailable here in my country.

Back