Asus U56E laptop randomly reboots - except when fireworks from winning spider solitare is running

I have an ASUS U56E laptop that randomly reboots when running anything, minesweeper, spider solitare, IE explorer. No bluescreen appears, the screen goes black and the machine reboots. If you win a spider solitare game and leave the fireworks running in background it does not reboot, but if you leave the fireworks running for a while as soon as you kill the fireworks it shuts down immediately. I have run temperate checks, memory check, full disk scan, and reloaded the machine from initial disks. I even brought it to Best Buy and their geek squad told me they tested it thouroughly by running a video streamer on it and it didn't shut down after 4 hours so there is nothing wrong with it. I don't know where to go from here and appreciate any suggestions.

"reloaded the machine from initial disks" Did you do a clean install of Windows and reapply all the Windows Updates?

Yes, I did a clean install of Windows and reapplied all of the updates. It made no difference and the machine continues to reboot periodically.

How old is the laptop, and what does it do before it stops?

Try taking out the battery and running the machine without it, and see what happens.

I have the same problem (u56) and it was best advice to send it back to Asus. I am not happy man since it's only 1 month out of warranty. I even uploaded a YouTube video to sure what the problem was.

I am curious if anybody has any further advice for me. I have the same issues. I bought it at Best Buy so I was forced to use their process of a solution since it was still under warranty. When the computer was returned back to me, they claimed to have replaced the motherboard and told me I had 30 days on that repair. The problem was not fixed by the replaced motherboard (if they indeed even replaced it). I feel like I am about to have a very unpleasant fight on my hands since in the time the computer was gone "being fixed", the original one year warranty expired. I am wondering if that 30 days is now only on the motherboard.
I did ask the question of Best Buy as to where exactly the computer got sent. (Was it Asus or their own repair facility) The answer was rather indirect but the gist of it was that it was their own people "authorized" by Asus, but not Asus themselves.

My bigger question is that if they really did replace the motherboard and the problem is still occurring, What else could it be?

Thoughts? Advice?

It IS a motherboard issue. I sent mine to Asus in December (also bought it from Best Buy) and got it back shortly after Xmas. It worked for one hour and then completely shut down and refused to start. Sent it back and the "new" motherboard was replaced in early January. It's been working fine since then.

I was close to going past my warranty date, too, and basically just asked that if the repair failed, could I have some assurance that they would still fix the problem? I was told that if the repair failed within a "reasonable amount of time" they would replace it and cover the cost. Asus is good about cleaning up their messes. Their warranty stuff always gets flak for being slow, but ultimately their reputation stays strong because they actually take care of the problem.

I would suggest sending it back and pointing them to this thread where it is clear that an issue exists with this model's original motherboard.

Best of luck.

Mine went back to asus three times on this issue. The first time they reinstalled windows just as I had done on the phone. Second time, they replaced the hard drive. Finally, the third time they replaced the motherboard and the problem is seemingly fixed though it is now back for a fourth time on a wireless issue. Your problem sounds just like my motherboard issue and though it pains me to say it, you may need to start dealing with asus directly since it is still under warranty from Asus. However, this may void whatever you've got from best buy.

I have the same problem, I use Debian Gnu/Linux so it's not the OS, the problem begins when I work in air conditioned environments, in hot places without air conditioning it works fine by hours.

by the way: I've changed the Memory and Hard Drive and still rebooting.

Back