AT&T to launch three DirecTV-powered streaming services later this year

Shawn Knight

Staff member

AT&T on Tuesday revealed intentions to launch a trio of DirecTV-powered streaming video services that'll allow users to watch content over wired or wireless connection regardless of current provider.

AT&T said in a press release that the services, scheduled to arrive in the fourth quarter of this year, will allow users to watch on nearly any device including tablets, smartphones, smart TVs, streaming media boxes and on PCs. The three packages that'll be offered include DirecTV Now, DirecTV Mobile and DirecTV Preview.

DirecTV Now is said to offer viewers access to live and on-demand programming from many networks and will feature much of what is on DirecTV today including premium add-on options. DirecTV Mobile, meanwhile, is described as a mobile-first solution for people that want to view premium video on a smartphone while DirecTV Preview is a free, ad-supported service that'll show content from Audience Network, Otter Media and "many other networks."

When AT&T announced intentions to purchase DirecTV in May 2014, many assumed AT&T would leverage its mobile network to eventually stream video service from the satellite provider. The nation's second largest wireless provider even went so far as to abandon its in-flight wireless plans to focus on the deal.

Aside from some TV and wireless bundles, however, AT&T hasn't really done much with the acquisition to date. That'll change later this year and could really give services like Sling TV a run for their money, assuming of course that it's reasonably priced as AT&T promises. The service may also attract those whose jobs require them to travel frequently or those that live in apartments where satellite dishes typically aren't welcomed.

Permalink to story.

I paid for directtv for years and they were horrible to work with any time their equipment needed replacing. They kept raising prices. They wanted to charhe more for hd. When HD ota became standard I dropped dtv and never missed it for a minute. I still get mail weekly begging me to come back. No wonder they have to raise prices.

Back