Atari reveals its console's new name; preorder date announced in April

midian182

Staff member

Following earlier confirmation that the company was working on the project, Atari revealed the first images of its Ataribox console in July last year. Now, at San Francisco’s Game Developer Conference (GDC), the legendary games firm has revealed more info on its mysterious machine, including a new name: the Atari VCS.

The company will show off the newly renamed console to the press at GDC this week, along with the Classic Joystick and the Modern Controller. As the names suggest, the former is a modern recreation of the Atari’s iconic, single-button joystick, while the latter is the firm’s take on a modern controller—one that features an Xbox One-style layout.

The reason for the two differently designed peripherals is that those who want to play retro Atari games on the VCS will be best served using an original-style joystick. The gamepad, meanwhile, can be used for the few PC games it can run.

The new console mixes classic and contemporary looks that were inspired by the 1977 Atari 2600’s wood finish. The machine's internals, however, are firmly set in the modern era. We know it contains a custom AMD processor, a Radeon GPU, and that the VCS is capable of running Linux. It also has an SD card slot, HDMI output, and four USB ports.

Exactly when you’ll be able to order the VCS is unclear, but we’ll find out next month: Atari said it would announce the pre-order dates in April. These were supposed to start last December, but Atari delayed them as it wanted “more time to create the platform and ecosystem the Atari community deserves."

Little else is known about the VCS, including the all-important game lineup. Atari did say it’s a new, connected device designed for today’s living room, rather than just a “retro box.” We’ll just have to wait and see if the console justifies its $250 - $300 price tag.

Permalink to story.

If it has a r7 2700u and comes with every atari game inside it, could be interesting, especially if RAM/storage can be upgraded.

But this is atari, so it will probably have like 5 atari games nobody wants (cybermorph) and will have some lame subscription service to get the rest, while making the internals out of recycled feces. And the AMD chip will be a turion II with a 9800 pro GPU. Or something equally ridiculous.

If it has a r7 2700u and comes with every atari game inside it, could be interesting, especially if RAM/storage can be upgraded.

But this is atari, so it will probably have like 5 atari games nobody wants (cybermorph) and will have some lame subscription service to get the rest, while making the internals out of recycled feces. And the AMD chip will be a turion II with a 9800 pro GPU. Or something equally ridiculous.

Hey now, the 9800 Pro was awesome... in 2003. :D

So...a slicker version, with an Xbox controller, of the Atari Flashback that sells for $30-50. Yeah. No.

For a moment I thought it was an article about Veritas Cluster Service but alas, it's named after the Atari 2600 Video Computer System.

Hey now, the 9800 Pro was awesome... in 2003. :D
I loved mine. Let me play KOTOR at a graphical setting above "pudding with sticks in it" and the Sims 2.

Actually, all this Pc talk gives me an idea: why doesnt atari make some PC cases. If they were to release the Atari ST or atari 800 case with mini ITX mounting points, they would probably sell way more then this console will.

I'd love an atari ST with a ryzen 2400g or i5+1050ti :)

Obviously the above are not the target crowd.
Ultimately it comes down to how the games play. Anyone who’s played emulated games, including plug in boxes, knows most run way too fast!
It’s missing a port though. Sega has the right idea with a classic plugin that could also play original games. If Atari could do that and play them correctly at the correct speed the price is worth it

I want it... Not enough to be one of the first to lay out the cash for it, but I'm highly anticipating the reviews.

This could be really cool and hopefully provides a little more variety to consoles.

I am of the opinion that consoles are not for FPS, strategy etc (thats what PC is for) and they have to hit a local multiplayer experience (beers and games) or something a little more outside the norm for this to work.

I am interested to see what this looks like at launch

Somehow I really can't get even a spark of interest in this.... I owned a 2600 before.

Nowadays, everyone just want to milk the cash from whatever is the latest trend. Instead of genuinely trying to revolutionize the gaming scene with innovations and new ideas.

What games can possibly be different (from PS*/Xbox/Nintendo/Android games) running on this to be worth buying this new console?

Anyway, I'm sure there are many who will run head to heels to get this. Not unlike the gamers who paid money for the new snes/nes mini consoles.

Thankfully the emulation scene is mature enough to run all these older classics.

Obviously the above are not the target crowd.
Ultimately it comes down to how the games play. Anyone who’s played emulated games, including plug in boxes, knows most run way too fast!
It’s missing a port though. Sega has the right idea with a classic plugin that could also play original games. If Atari could do that and play them correctly at the correct speed the price is worth it
When did you last run an emulator? 1995?

Modern emulators do a ton of painstaking work to make sure they run at proper speed, and you can limit a games speed if you truly feel it is running too fast.

Nobody will pay $300 for a bunch of old atari games. They dot have the nostalgia or quality that nintendo did, hence why they got kicked around so hard.

Back