Atari suspends VCS manufacturing contracts, likely signaling the end of its short life

Shawn Knight

Staff member
RIP? Atari's grand comeback has seemingly hit a major roadblock as the company announced the suspension of direct hardware manufacturing relationships in its most recent earnings report dated December 16. The company didn't mention any alternative partnerships meaning the VCS could be headed for an early grave.

Atari's return to the grand stage of gaming was always a longshot, but one the company was willing to take. It started teasing a new game console, initially known as the Ataribox, in mid-2017 and many at the time thought it would be little more than a retro mini console like the NES Classic Edition (in hindsight, that's probably all it should have been).

The Ataribox eventually because the Atari VCS and as we'd learn, it was much more than a mini console pre-loaded with classic games. The system would pack a custom AMD processor with Radon graphics and ship with up to 8GB of RAM and 32GB of eMMC storage.

Pre-orders were set to open at the end of 2017 but got pushed back to May of 2018 through Indiegogo. Things seemed promising at first despite the $199 starting price, but then more delays came. A promised 2019 window came and went, then the pandemic gave Atari another reason to delay in 2020.

Ultimately, the first units wouldn't make it out to early backers until the very end of 2020. Retail availability wouldn't occur until halfway through 2021 but by that point, did anybody really care?

Atari in its latest financial report said earnings for the first-half of the year ending September 30, 2022 were €4.3M ($4.6 million), down 27 percent compared to the same period last year. Worse yet, revenue from hardware sales dipped a whopping 92 percent – from €2.3M to €0.2M – during the same time frame.

For what it is worth, the base console has been slashed from $199.99 to $159.99 over on Atari's site. Optionally, you can nab a bundle that comes with the Speakerhat for $303.99. At this point, the Lego Atari 2600 kit seems like the better buy.

Permalink to story.

Atari just royally screwed this pooch. Late launch, far too high a price for what was a basic fancy emulation box, alienating their backers and the designer of the hardware itself and just, well, no long term plans for this thing.

They would have been far better shipping an open platform with a basic AMD hardware set and opening the system up for modding and open emulation instead of whatever bizzare hybrid approach they took here.

If these Atari goons actually had a working brain they would've made this thing much smaller, palm sized maybe, using something like a Raspberry Pi under the hood with custom software/emulation. It would have been much cheaper to produce and probably higher margins on sales too. But no, they had to go with pointlessly over-powered and over-priced hardware. Custom AMD CPU for an Atari emulator? Get real.

I've been playing video games since the late 80's and I would never buy one of these classic remakes for anything above $50. Once you start asking for $99 or as high as $199 for some novelty/nostalgia item like this you're basically shooting yourself in the foot.

Hmmm it might be worth buying one, keep it boxed and store it for 20 years or so. Then come back to Tech Spot and say "Hey guys, remember that reboot Atari console that never was.." Then sell it for a fortune :)

The storage is unfortunate. I actually looked into getting one of these for my parents, my dad still uses a Core 2 Quad desktop which honestly runs a treat with Ubuntu, but this would run even better! The 32GB eMMC rather than a larger, faster amount of storage is unfortunate; but given the miniscule size of 2600 games, and indeed the 8-bit Atari computer games (if they include any of those), it could still hold probably every Atari game ever made.

Ahh well...

Back