Atari unveils first images of its Ataribox console

midian182

Staff member

Back in June, a YouTube video arrived that suggested iconic gaming firm Atari was working on a new console. Today, we finally get a good look at what the “brand new Atari product, called the Ataribox, looks like.

Bringing the Atari brand into the modern age came as such a surprise that many people thought the YouTube video was a fake, but CEO Fred Chesnais last month confirmed its authenticity and that the company was “back in the hardware business.”

The teaser hinted that the new machine’s look was inspired by the classic 1977 Atari 2600’s wood finish. Thanks to an email sent out to Atari fans (via The Verge) this has now been confirmed.

The new console comes with ribbed lines, a raised back, and a front panel that can either be glass or wood. In addition to the retro-style Ataribox, there’s another version with a more contemporary design that comes in red and black.

When it comes to modern features, Atari has included an HDMI port, SD card support, and four USB ports. The full hardware details won’t be released until a later date, though it is said to have "modern" specs and be powered by PC technology.

As for what games it will play, Atari has promised a slew of classics alongside “current content.” In all likelihood, the Ataribox is the company’s own version of Nintendo’s wildly successful NES Classic Edition and its upcoming SNES Classic.

“We know you are hungry for more details; on specs, games, pricing, timing,” Writes Atari. “We’re not teasing you intentionally; we want to get this right, so we’ve opted to share things step by step as we bring this to life, and to listen closely to the Atari community feedback as we do so.”

Permalink to story.

I don't know, that is a big claim... the thing is for a newer generation an Atari is something they merely went through before the Nintendo came out, for others, it was phreaking amazing, it had some really great games.

I won't lie, I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm really interested on what they mean by "modern specs" using "PC technology". That terminology is so vague (probably intentionally so)

I'm really interested on what they mean by "modern specs" using "PC technology". That terminology is so vague (probably intentionally so)
I doesn't really matter how modern does it? Surely any hardware from the last 10 years would play 30 year old games with ease. I'm tempted to say it could work flawless using hardware from a 10 year old low quality cellphone.

Atari which is great at that time but does not have the "magic" like the Nes/snes have. Im not shelling for this but somebody might enjoy this.

Last edited:
I'm really interested on what they mean by "modern specs" using "PC technology". That terminology is so vague (probably intentionally so)
I doesn't really matter how modern does it? Surely any hardware from the last 10 years would play 30 year old games with ease. I'm tempted to say it could work flawless using hardware from a 10 year old low quality cellphone.

Right but are they talking modern Intel/AMD processors or ARM? That makes a world of difference lol

What do they have against stacking?
I would say heat constrictions, possibly malfunction of the device, a home down in flames, just sayin.

Edit: Ok... before someone starts asking how a stack can lead to a home down in flames... let's say someone without the luxury of a logical mind and common sense puts a series of books on top of it, or let's say just the one, or how about that nanny that loves putting her crochet in everything... so on so forth.

You should never stack anything on your console, that is the best way to get it to over heat and die.

I think what David is getting at, and I would also be interested to know, is if Atari is going head-to-head with Xbone and Piss4 or if they're going to compete solely with Nintendo. Two very different possibilities. To play with the big boys you'd need higher-powered hardware, but there's no reason Atari couldn't cram a decent TV-PC into this thing and still keep up. It's Nintendo that still thinks it's hilarious to release the most underpowered product possible every generation.

Is Atari going to compete in the ~400$ range, or the ~200$ range? Would new content mean modern games? It seems like Atari has a few published recently, though I haven't checked around. Sega sure has.

The nostalgia value for Atari is not nearly as strong as the NES/SNES, but this'll still be pretty cool. Also that wood (probably faux?) front panel looks quite nice.
It just looks familiar to me:
latest

How about if we agree to call it, "nostalgia trim"? ;)

But,it's absolutely faux. The trim looks like either rosewood or mahogany, (too red to be walnut?), and both those woods are off limits due to the "CITES" endangered species treaty.

Since I'm already way off topic, CITES now prohibits the export of Indian rosewood, which was being used as a replacement for tropical American rosewood, due to the fact most of the latter species are largely gone from the face of the earth.

In fact, the new CITES regulations have musicians in a panic, wondering if they'll be able to cross international borders with their guitars. Rosewood is the most common wood used for guitar finger boards...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CITES

But relax, and keep your ecologically conscious shirt on. The original Atari 2600's "simulated wood trim" was plastic, as I'm sure this will be.

Last edited:
Wait...their putting all the connectors on the *back*? Unless they plan on including at least one wireless controller this is utterly stupid..nobody will put up with this in 2017.

Wait...their putting all the connectors on the *back*? Unless they plan on including at least one wireless controller this is utterly stupid..nobody will put up with this in 2017.
Well sure, all the connectors are on the back. A connector on the front would completely ruin the sleek facade of fake plastic wood....;)

Well yes it is 2017, so what has wired controllers anymore? :p

I hope this doesn't usher in the return of fake wood paneling that was all the style in the 70s/80s.

It would be the new Dreamcast? They are making a crazy move by trying to compete with Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony. It would be great if they are making an E.T remake:p

The fake wood station wagon sides I could handle. But those ungodly fake convertible tops, "Landau roofs", were absolute abominations:
048-800x524.jpg

259392.jpg

Especially after the car got to be about 10 or so. Then the leatherette faded, took water, and most likely started to rot the metal of the roof.

LOL...great pics. I think I'm more afraid of our appliances, stereos & TVs being fake wood again, too. Literally everything back then was in a wood case.
Have you walked through Home Depot recently, and checked put the prices of lowly #2 common pine boards? Suffice it to say, fake wood is pretty much all you'll be getting from here on out, get used to it.

In fact, a 1" x 4" x 8' maple board is $30.43....:eek:

Oh boy I never thought something could derail this badly, Kudos captain lol
Hey wait, Cliff posted the station wagon photos, a stroke of pure genius if you ask me. Ya gotta give credit where credit is due...! :D(y)

Besides, exactly how seriously are we supposed to take Atari?:confused:

The nostalgia value for Atari is not nearly as strong as the NES/SNES, but this'll still be pretty cool. Also that wood (probably faux?) front panel looks quite nice.
It just looks familiar to me:
latest

How about if we agree to call it, "nostalgia trim"? ;)

But,it's absolutely faux. The trim looks like either rosewood or mahogany, (too red to be walnut?), and both those woods are off limits due to the "CITES" endangered species treaty.

Since I'm already way off topic, CITES now prohibits the export of Indian rosewood, which was being used as a replacement for tropical American rosewood, due to the fact most of the latter species are largely gone from the face of the earth.

In fact, the new CITES regulations have musicians in a panic, wondering if they'll be able to cross international borders with their guitars. Rosewood is the most common wood used for guitar finger boards...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CITES

But relax, and keep your ecologically conscious shirt on. The original Atari 2600's "simulated wood trim" was plastic, as I'm sure this will be.

yeah familiar to me too.lol.Dad had a mercury colony park wagon back in the sixties with 3 kids and one on the way.lol.

wood look was a plastic sticker/laminate that pealed off over time.

Now in my mid 50's my first console as a kid was the first colecovision a couple of game . hockey and soccer.just a blip on the screen ,yes a black&white tv .I remember the lines would burn in bad.. ,then our first color set and later an Atari console ,now I feel old ..:(

it was my kid that had nes ,snes,ps1, that I watched grow up playing and I played too mariocart/lee travinos fighting golf were 2 of our nes fav's

Last edited:
Back