Athlon 3000G and A520 chipset...

Kshipper

I don't know why I did this but I was convinced that the Athlon 3000G CPU and my Gigabyte A520M DS3H motherboard were compatible. I popped it in. Updated the BIOS to F14. Ran Passmark's Memtest86 for 4 passes and then proceeded to install Win10 x64 21H2 and I even ran all my stress tests without any issues.

Everywhere I look it says the Athlon 3000G is not compatible with the A520 chipset and yet it is working! I only discovered this when I was looking for support for the Athlon 3000G on an MSi B450M Pro-VDH WIFI. The weird part is that all the info I have says the B450 chipset supports this chip but the Msi B450M Pro-VDH WIFI does not:

Does anyone know what will happen if I just leave it as is? I am now wondering why it is not supposed to work. Voltage to the CPU? It does have a loud whine to the CPU, like a coil whine.

Athlon 3000G is Zen1 part. Due to BIOS size limitations, A520 boards BIOS chips are not required to contain AGESA code etc for Zen1 parts. If manufacturer could and does contain those, there is no physical reason why it wouldn't work. Chipset has no part determining if CPU works or not. BIOS has.

There is always coil whine, usually it's not hearable. Nothing to do with CPU compatibility.

Zen1 eh? interesting...since the BIOS says it supports Zen 1 CPUs. Well, I will take a chance and leave it in the first machine but on the 2nd A520 build I popped the Athon 3000G back out and slid in a Ryzen 3 3100 and the coil whine is gone. Thx for the info =)

Oh and this is what I was looking at where AMD says no to A520 and Athlon:

Back