Athlon 6000+ or Intel Core Duo 6420?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mokaboy

Athlon 6000+ or Intel Core Duo 6420?

Both around same price, im a AMD fan and last 2 processor have been AMD but theres alot of hype around Intel at the min. Just want the best deal and would like peoples opinion before i splash out.

In this case, the 6000+ is the winner. The 6420 is a mobile processor and not a high end intel processor. check the cpu charts on tomshardware.com

At stock speeds, the 6000+ is the winner. But a simple overclock of the E6420 yields far superior performance. And Tedster, what exactly do you mean by mobile processor?

ok, i have gone for the e6400 as i found it new for a very respectable £72 delivered. Thats about $141. I thought this was a good deal does anyone agree? The e6420 was £100 delievered ($197) and the 6000+ was £95 delievered ($188).

I have done my research and found the e6400 to be only slightly less than the e6420 in terms of performance with the only real disadvantage being the cache.

I am now searching the web frantically for a suitable motherboard. I have been eying up the MSI P6N Platinum which i can snatch at a reasonable £85 delivered. I nearly went for it but thought id come here first to get some opinions. I would like a motherboard with eSata and prefereably 2 pcie slots for future upgrades.

the title should now be changed to 'Which 775 Motherboard for £80?'

I would need
esata
pcie x2 slots
sata2

Please can someone share advice.

You need two PCI-E x16 slots I presume? For SLI or Crossfire? Neither is worth it unless you need high performance at ultra high resolutions like those above 1600x1200. Looking at it that way, the GigaByte GA-965P-DS3 is a superb motherboard that can be found for about 60-70 pounds.

yes for SLi/Crossfire

the dual pcie was only really for future upgrades as i currently have a x1800gto 256mb which can play all the games i have atm perfectly.

This motherboard is what im looking for but theres no eSata which i would like to be included.

If he plans on using his Radeon X1800 GTO 256MB he'll need a Crossfire motherboard. Since SLI is only for NVIDIA GeForce cards.

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
At stock speeds, the 6000+ is the winner. But a simple overclock of the E6420 yields far superior performance. And Tedster, what exactly do you mean by mobile processor?
cpu makers make 2 kinds of processors. Desktop processors and mobile processors. Generally, mobile processors are designed specifically for laptops. So you can have a Athlon 6000+ and an Athlon 6000+M (for mobile)

The difference is in voltage use, clockability adjustment, and other factors that are generally transparent to the end user. In the past (and still true mostly today) mobile cpus were unlocked - meaning their cycles could be sped up faster for overclocking (known as stepping up the multiplier). The athlon XP series were famous for this.

Stock desktop CPUS, generally have their clocks locked - except for gaming editions of the processors like the Athlon FX series. In order to overclock, the FSB has to be adjusted.

beef_jerky4104 said:
If he plans on using his Radeon X1800 GTO 256MB he'll need a Crossfire motherboard. Since SLI is only for NVIDIA GeForce cards.

I thought SLi boards would be fine for crossfire?

ive found a DFI Infinity P965 Dark board for £70 delievered. I am aware this has no eSata but it is crossfire compatible. Anyone know anything about this board? isit a good buy?

You should look into Gigabyte's DS3 boards. They usually have the best price-to-performance ratio.

I'd recommend the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R, which uses the new P35 chipset. This one is Gigabyte's replacement for the well-renowned GA-965P-DS3, and it might even become more popular than its predecessor.

If you really need Crossfire support, then you should look at Asus's P5K series (which also uses the new chipset).
For example, the Asus P5K (which is the "vanilla" board in the P5K series) has two PCI-E slots, supports Crossfire technology, and it also has eSATA, which meets all the expectations you've stated.

can i have some opinions about these motherboards, which would be a better deal.

DFI LANPARTY UT ICFX3200-T2R/G - £85 delievered

DFI Infinity P965 Dark (S model) - £70 delievered

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R - £95 delievered

Asus P5K - £85 delievered

The P5K and the GA-P35-DS3R are the best choices. I have a P5K and it's superb, so I vouch for it. The others have old chipsets that won't support Penryn CPUs. The LanParty UT ICFX3200-T2R/G is a RD600 based chipset, so it might perform better in Crossfire but that doesn't justify the relatively similar cost to the P5K.

Yes SLI motherboards are only for NVIDIA based cards due to their chipsets being made by NVIDIA! Crossfire motherboards have chipsets made by ATI.

One more question people. Im now onto RAM. Apparently this motherboard supports PC8500 ram? Would this be worth the extra £30-40 more? Im looking for 2x1gb sticks. I have £85 absolute tops and have already been looking at the Hyperx and XMS Dominator rams in pc6400 as they seem to be in my price range. Please can someone show me a website where they bench these rams or give me some advice on what sticks to go for bearing in mind my system specs will be as followed.

Asus P5K (non deluxe)
E6400
x1800gto 256mb
2x Hitachi Deskstars sataII

I will be using the system for uni which means lots of gaming and overclocking!

Cheers

Well.....shame about the mobo, Grafficks was trying his best to steer you to some cracking boards. The Gigabyte DS3 and P35 DS3R are the best overclockers you can get. I just built 2 rigs with the DS3R and they are excellent.
Asus are good don't get me wrong, but they're also fussy as to what ram they like so check their website for compatibility.

What RAM?

well the way i saw it was... i just saved £20... £20 more i can spend on ram :) im on a budget. I was aware the gigabyte was a better motherboard but the asus worked better for me and had everything i wanted and more.

Im now looking for some suitable ram and according to the Asus website on the P5K page they are running some GeIL PC2-6400 DDR2-800, GX21GB6400PDC 2x1GB. (here) I have found these for £75 delivered and am wondering if these would be a good choice?

Geil are good. I'm sure my asus boards ram ok with corsair XMS ram too.

ps....off-topic, was just thinking about UT2004 when i looked at your sig, lol.
Was thinking back to when i was playing a map and got about 10 HOLY SH*T!!!'s in a row...due to the carnage i was creating. Aaaah....the memories. :monkey:

Corsair XMS would be the best choice in my opinion. As for you choice about the ASUS I honestly don't like them. They are overpriced and overated not to mention how easily the fry. But they are, by many professionals, the best motherboards.

ASUS is one of the better mobo manufacturers. I'd rather buy them than a Biostar or ECS mobo. GeiL RAM is good quality too, as is RAM from G.Skill, Corsair, OCZ, mushkin, pQI, Buffalo and Kingston.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back