Athlon 64 3700+ & 4000+ are coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
Ready or not, they are coming at the end of March. Birds singing in our ears have told us that when the S939 boards are launched in about two months, they will be accompanied by A64 3700+ chips. If AMD keeps to the schedule, they will beat their own roadmaps, even if it is only by a day or two.

The upcoming months will bring us the 3700+ in not only S939 guise, but also in S754 form. All those people who bought an Athlon64 board should have little to fear, the 3700 will be a very viable upgrade for you, and the 4000+ which follows should fit in your board also. Overall, AMD is not going to orphan you any time soon.

Read more: The Inquirer.

That is awesome. What clock speed are these chips going to run at? I would love to feel an AMD chip at 3GHz, or even like 2.6-2.8.

And I guess we can just consider the FX line of A64's dead?

FX-51 is gone in my book. Costs too much. All this new hardware is making me want to retire my XP1600+

wow. i just bought my new Athlon system and already its looking obsolete with all this new technology coming out.

Very very nice. Very very convincing. But I'm not taking my leap into the 64 bit world for another year or two.

It's not that big of a deal. Getting a Athlon64 now is the same thing as when people got the 9700 Pro before DX9 got released. It works very well now as it is, & once apps in 64bit are available, it will only get better.

It's not like you're getting a bad machine by getting one of those right now.

I agree, NoisySilence. To put it into closer perspective: anyone remembre when the P6 (Pentium Pro) line was initially released? Win95 OSR1 was slow on it, but it's performance was realized when using Windows NT 4.0. I would anticipate the same performance results with the Athlon64s (FX or otherwise). Sure the performance is on par with an Athlon XP 3200+ (all other relative components being equal) with Windows XP-32/2k; but once Windows XP-64 is utilized in tandem with 64-bit applications, the performance will much greater. As Microsoft seems to have a solid foot supporting AMD64, I don't see a reason not to jump on the Athlon64 bandwagon - even if it means getting trailing edge AMD64 technology.
Personally, I'll be upgrading my Palomino XP2000+ when the AMD64/4000+ is made available. I'll just be picking up the Athlon64 3200+ then. Hopefully the price will drop reasonably, provided the processor will still be available.
Call me cheap, call me budget-conscious. I just don't feel I NEED the fastest components out there when what I have (and what I hope to upgrade to) suffices for my gaming and development needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back