ATI Radeon 4850 (Going up to 110 °C)

darkty

Hello everyone, So I a while ago got a graphic card from a friend. It was ATI Radeon 4850. For some odd reasons, I saw videos of it playing games like GTA IV on max and so on. But from the day I got it, It would never play any of those games. So I gonna cut this and get down to the point, my GPU temp always gets to 110 (C) when playing games. The most aggravating part is how it shuts off my computer in mid game. I think that's the reason why I can never play any of thoses games without lag. I have tried getting the dust out of the comp and what not. So If you can help me, That would be amazing. btw, I installed ATIExpert Tool. Does not help when playing games.

EDIT: Just want to add. It Idles at 76c. That is even when my room temp is pretty cool. Also, This is weird but I can play BF2 at max and stay at a stable, 92c. But I can't play BF Vietnam or BF1942 without going over 100c. If you do not know, BF Vietnam was made in 04 and 1942 was made in 02. BF2 was made in 05.

Added some vide of what they look like In Game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YXtJP_g6lE&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qsxzRyrZ6E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkKIYeIpyrM

I think that's the reason why I can never play any of thoses games without lag.
No its not, its the reason your computer turns off.
But it is too hot, if you can control case fans, turn them all the way up, and turn up your fan speed on the card.

You shouldn't expect the 4850 to run "all those games" on max.

Is the heat-sink fan working properly on that card? Fan speed should automatically adjust according to temperatures on that thing.

Please do ensure optimal airflow for your casing as rightfully pointed by HK.

Kitty, I do not expect my card to run all the games at max, I should say so they look pretty good. Also, I ma using the default HP case. I only have 3 fans in my case total, One in the GPU, One of the Heatskin, And one on the back vent fan or something. I was thinking about just overall getting g a brand new casing and a new card.

Radeon HD 4850 is still a reasonable graphic solution.

As you stated that your using 'HP Case', does it mean you are also using 'OEM PSU came with it?'

If that is the case, I very much doubt that it can handle this graphic card, and may be the one of the causes of your issues along side airflow problems.

No Sir, I am actually using a BlackWidow Cable Management power supply. About 50-100wats over what is needed to run the card.

Ok, assuming according to information you have provided that the fans are working as they should, I suggest you should open side panel of the casing and place it near a fan and see whether that brings down the temperatures.

What is the specs of your system? Does it has onboard vga? If so temporarily take out your graphic card, and switch to using on-board vga, then see how your system behaves.

Specs-
8Gigs
Win 7 Home P 64 Bit
1TB HD
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8300 2.5 or 2.50Ghz

I have a GMA X4500 on the motherboard, I do not use it since I have the ATI one tho. But from the past, It did not work to good in general. (Shitty Graphic Card)

It is, but the aim right now is to determine the cause of your system's instability. Hence, if the system stays 'stable' with onboard vga, it would mean that graphic card is bad (provided its fan is working alright) or your PSU is not upto the mark (despite being a very good unit)

It is, but the aim right now is to determine the cause of your system's instability. Hence, if the system stays 'stable' with onboard vga, it would mean that graphic card is bad (provided its fan is working alright) or your PSU is not upto the mark (despite being a very good unit)

Sorry, Not to good at installing/removing parts from my PC. Can I just disable the device and plug the cable into the ports for the onboard one?

Sorry, Not to good at installing/removing parts from my PC. Can I just disable the device and plug the cable into the ports for the onboard one?
Yes...from the bios would be best though.

IMO its very obvious that the card is overheating.
Your computer only shuts down when your playing 3d games right? And your temperature is about 110c?
4850's can run at over 80c, as it is a relatively hot card, but 110c is way to high.

IMO its very obvious that the card is overheating.

Apparently it is provided that the fan is not working properly. That is what I am saying all along.

@darkty
Please uninstall your ATI drivers before switching to onboard graphics, once you have switched to it, please install drivers for your onboard graphic chip. If you don't have them, you can download them from Intel's site.

Well, if restarts still happen, then you'd have two problems.
In theory:
after [hopefully] taking care of any shut downs independent of the 4850, you'd run back to the problem of overheating again.
If you don't have any issues running on integrated graphics, then you'll have to deal with overheating anyway.

I would work on the overheating, and if everything works out happily after thats fixed, i'd ignore other possibilities and move on until something bad happens.
Meh either way.

Thanks for the help everyone, I am getting on the onboard one, I will update you on the current status soon.

Update: Hey guys kinda busy, But I want to mention something. When I open up my case I realize that the hot air from the fan in the PSU is pushing alot of heat onto the card. Can That be the cause? Ask me if you want to see a picture.

I suggested earlier to leave the side panel (if it is an mid-tower/tower casing) open for a while, and check if that brings down the temperatures, and whether that help stop these crashes.

Back