ATi RADEON XPress 200M Opinions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

izx2

Hello Techspot members! I'm interested in getting a laptop with a ATi RADEON XPress 200M. I want to know if there are any good sites about this particular card and comparisons with other cards. Or if you can tell me directly, how does it compare to "High-End" cards like the 9800. Would it be able to play, for example, CoD 2 in full settings? Basically, I just want to know if it's a good gaming card. Advice or suggestions are very welcomed. Currently I have a nVIDIA 5200 on my desktop and I expect it to be better... Thank you in advance!

you want to buy a laptop for gaming? such a lappy would be expensive, prone to overheating, and have a very short battery life. in my opinion, gaming and high end apps are best left to desktops. a laptop based on a mobile cpu design, 512MB ram, and your run of the mill mobile graphics will handle anything laptops were meant for.

if you do choose to go with the gaming laptop, you should be aware that neither of the cards listed could pull off COD2, HL2, BF2, or farcry with the eye candy turned all the way up, especially if they're inside a hot laptop chasis. every gaming lappy i've seen needs to sit on a special cooling frame to avoid overheating / burning the owner during use.

you mentioned you have an fx5200, which is a low end card capable of little. if you define the specs of your system here we can reccomend whether a vcard upgrade would be wise. after all, even the best of video cards out there today can still be had for much less than a loaded gaming laptop.

Thanks guys. What would be the best laptop graphics card out there right now? I want to stay under a $2000 budget. I saw the 6800 GO at AlienWare but I'd want to get an HP laptop. I'm not going to play like newer games like Doom3. Ill be playing games like Halo, which even my integrated can play. I also saw a ATi X600 on a HP. I am considering both of 'em but which would have better playability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back