ATI Rage 128 pro driver installation problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey ppl, Hendrich again. Before my previous ATI RAGE 128 PRO issue was fixed (Thnk You! ^^) but now I've got another one.

:dead: Yea, great, another one.

Anyways, when I try to install the driver for my card, it gives me a message saying that "Your video card does not match the driver provided by the installation" and then it closes. I want to know how I could install the driver for that card. Here is where the driver was:
http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/xp/legacy-xp.html

Here is the page of where I could get the drivers for my ATI Card:
http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.HTML

(I picked Windows XP - Home/Professional then I picked Legacy [discontinued] then I picked Rage 128/Rage 128 PRO)

I have Windows XP Professional SP1 Version 2002. I was thinking maybe I should remove my driver then re-install again? No? Hopefully your ideas will be better then mine. :p

You really running SP1 this time? ;)

Will try gettin to the bottom of this! I'll download and look into those ATI drivers to see what the driver installation is doing/looking for and compare to what ya got (Tho driver install files aren't always the easiest thing to interpret but give it my best shot)

I need collect detailed info on your current hardware and drivers
  • Click to download and run devcon.exe. It prompts to extract some files. Indicate folder C:\devcon. Verify it creates C:\devcon\i386\devcon.exe
  • Save my attachment devcmd.txt to your Desktop
  • Change its filename to devcmd.bat and double click to Run it
  • It creates a file devcon.txt on your Desktop. Please attach it in your next post.

Attachments

• devcmd.txt
    256 bytes · Views: 26
Sorry for posting late! :p
I beleive this is the driver I want:

ATI Technologies Inc. RAGE 128 PRO AGP 4X TMDS 6.13.3279

Below is the devcon file, hopefully this can help!

Attachments

• devcon.txt
    19.9 KB · Views: 16
Hmmm.....

You'll have to refresh my memory a bit.

1. I see your ATI Card
2. I see it listed as RAGE 128 PRO AGP 4X TMDS
3. And i also see an ATI driver installed for it
Driver description is RAGE 128 PRO AGP 4X TMDS (Microsoft Corporation)
Manufacturer name is ATI Technologies Inc.
Provider name is ATI Technologies Inc.
Driver date is 7/2/2001
Driver version is 6.13.10.5019​
4. This is not the same version as on ATI download site. They list
6.13.3279 Oct. 22, 2001​
5. Your ATI Card provides Windows indicators which say:
==> It's best to match me with a driver using these indicators (i'll call Set1)
==> But if that's not possible, try matching me with a driver using these indicators (I'll call Set2)
==> The driver you and I both thought would be OK (only given ATI's description) isn't configured to say it will work with Set1 or Set2! So you are getting the error message when you try to install the other driver!

Hmmm.....So is the current driver not work for you? or not provide some functionality? my question is: what is wrong with or you think is missing in the current driver that's loaded. Let me know and i will think about it more also..

So is the current driver not work for you? or not provide some functionality? my question is: what is wrong with or you think is missing in the current driver that's loaded. Let me know and i will think about it more also..

There isn't any "bugs" in the driver, two reasons I want a new driver is that:

1) Having the most recent driver for my card will help it work faster. :p

2) Another reason is that the card shipped with the driver only supports D3D. They fixed this with the newest driver that tells the card it also supports OpenGL, and I want OpenGL to play many of the games that only supports it.

Do you think to fix this problem, its best if I remove my current driver and then try installing the new driver again? I belive I can still "roll-back" to my old driver if that doesn't work. :p

Do you think to fix this problem, its best if I remove my current driver and then try installing the new driver again? I belive I can still "roll-back" to my old driver if that doesn't work.

When Windows goes to load a driver,
  • It queries the device (the video card) to get information about it. This information has been programmed into the card by its manufacturer, some examples
    • A unique id for the card
    • Text descriptions of the card (that's the nice human text you'll see)
    • Driver selection criteria. These criteria come from the manufacturer via the card. Windows applies these criteria as it goes through all driver packages it has available. Using these criteria, it creates a list of all possible driver packages and assigns a rank to each one corresponding to how good a fit based on the criteria.
      - Criteria Set1 - Using this set has highest priority as it will match the best possible drivers Windows might find
      - Criteria Set2 - It won't provide the "perfect" match like set1 but the card mfr thinks it will stil work and is compatible for the card
    There typically 1 to 4 criteria sets. If Windows has nothing that matches any of them, it returns NO DRIVER FOUND
Bottom line, the criteria sets returned by your current card will never match the selection data in the driver you want. Meaning it will never get selected (i.e. installed)

Can't tell you why ATI wrote the new driver so it wouldn;t match your card. It might mean they started making slight modifications to the card and sold an ATI 128 RAGE v0, then v1, etc. Where the v is the hardware version. And could be the new driver only applies to versions that came out later then yours.

It is also possible to try and "hack" the driver but:
  • But only to get past that "first criteria check" which might be sufficient to get it selecteed. (Sometimes a driver package has more check beyond that first one.. but can get ugly trying to find/figure them all out
  • Hacking the driver so it'll install is still no gurantee it will work or work well.
  • I don't know and can't say if it's at all possible to damage anything by forcing in the driver. (Tho i know it's sometimes done and works just fine)
  • I guess what it means is "Proceed down that route at your own risk"

Damn...so either I hack the card (Which might not work) or get a new one. *Sigh* Thanks for your help man, you heled me understabd what has happened to my Card. I guess the only thing to do to make this work is just get a new card. :p

Well, for one last question, when I ask the manufacturer if I could get a card but he said something about my Motherboards Bus number or something, I didn't understood him. Can you shed any light? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back