Audio plays 5 seconds, pauses, buffers, plays 5 seconds more, pauses....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new to your board and a novice PC user too. I'm hoping someone can help me out. I'm running Windows XP Home Edition. My wife likes to listen to music on cmt.com. We had Norton AntiVirus 2004 and Norton Firewall 2004 previously and I had to write some firewall exceptions to allow the music to play. All was well until my subscription ran out and I installed Norton Internet Security 2005. I re-entered the exceptions and I can get to the music site ok, but when I select a song and click play, the song will only play about 5 to 8 seconds, then it will pause and show that it's buffering. Once buffering gets to 100%, it will play another 5 to 8 seconds, pause, buffer, and it will repeat for the whole song. Maddening! I've sent several e-mails to Symantec (Norton) support, but they don't seem to understand the problem... their response is "we're sorry you can't access the website...", so they have been no help. I have tried turning off NIS, but the problem persists. Could the installation of NIS2005 changed some settings in the PC? I'm at a loss. I have poked around in the control panel and WMP and have increased the buffering time from 5 econds to 30 seconds, but it didn't help. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks!

Flintlock said:
I'm new to your board and a novice PC user too. I'm hoping someone can help me out. I'm running Windows XP Home Edition. My wife likes to listen to music on cmt.com. We had Norton AntiVirus 2004 and Norton Firewall 2004 previously and I had to write some firewall exceptions to allow the music to play. All was well until my subscription ran out and I installed Norton Internet Security 2005. I re-entered the exceptions and I can get to the music site ok, but when I select a song and click play, the song will only play about 5 to 8 seconds, then it will pause and show that it's buffering. Once buffering gets to 100%, it will play another 5 to 8 seconds, pause, buffer, and it will repeat for the whole song. Maddening! I've sent several e-mails to Symantec (Norton) support, but they don't seem to understand the problem... their response is "we're sorry you can't access the website...", so they have been no help. I have tried turning off NIS, but the problem persists. Could the installation of NIS2005 changed some settings in the PC? I'm at a loss. I have poked around in the control panel and WMP and have increased the buffering time from 5 econds to 30 seconds, but it didn't help. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks!

Well flint I have never herd of that problem before but It may be the anti virus you have, but if you whant something really good go to google.com and type AVG free. Avg is the best anti virus I know of.

Good luck,

Sebastian :bounce:

Thanks Compguy, I'll check out Avg. Yeah, I'm pretty sure the the new AV within NIS hosed my music playback. I'm still open to suggestions on a fix. Anybody got any ideas? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back