Audio Service not running Vista/Toshiba laptop

I have lost all sound and there is the "x" next to my speaker icon on the bottom right. I have read what other people have done here and none of the fixes have helped.

If I right click on the speaker icon, I get the "Would you like to enable Windows Audio" message. If I say yes, I do NOT get an error. It goes to the screens about my audio.

But my audio is obviously not working. So I go to the Windows Audio in the Services section. It is on automatic but not running. When I try to run it, I get the message: "Windows could not start the Window Audio service on the local computer. Error 1079: The account specified for this service is different from the account specified for other services running in the same process."

I have looked at all of the dependent services: Plug N Play, Multimedia Class Scheduler, Remote Procedure Call, Windows Audio Endpoint Builder. Those are ALL automatic and Running.

I saw someone mention something about going to the Registry Editor to remove dependencies but I couldn't figure out the registry (looked like lots of gobblegook to me) but since all of my dependent processes are running just fine, I don't think that would be the answer anyway.

Any other ideas of what I can try?

Also, All of my sound drivers are working properly and I have no error messages that I can find

I am not sure if this is relevant:

Product
Host Process for Windows Services

Problem
Windows Update installation problem

Date
10/30/2010 10:37 AM

Status
Not Reported

Description
A Windows update did not install properly. Sending the following information to Microsoft can help improve the software.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: WindowsUpdateFailure
ClientVersion: 7.4.7600.226
Win32HResult: 80070643
UpdateId: DA39B39A-FD8E-4EB8-9661-FFC9B0035EB3
Scenario: Install
SourceId: 101
Environment: Unmanaged
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

There is one of these for every day for a week. But the sound problem has only existed for 2 days

I saw someone mention something about going to the Registry Editor to remove dependencies but I couldn't figure out the registry (looked like lots of gobblegook to me) but since all of my dependent processes are running just fine, I don't think that would be the answer anyway.
You're absolutely right. DON'T try modifying the registry for this problem. Is far more likely to do damage then any good

A few thoughts...

1. I'd first attempt to simply uninstall then reinstall your audio drivers. To uninstall, look in Ctrl Panel->Program and Features and look for your audio to uninstall. Locate the driver download from the vendor website for your computer to reinstall

2. If reinstalling doesn't solve it Also, take a look at [post=926040]Reference Guide to Help Setup and Troubleshoot Windows Audio and Sound Cards[/post]

3. Tho I'll also mention that SOMETIMES malware can be what interferes with audio service and prevents it from running. I mention this to also keep in mind because you say Windows Update is also reporting errors. Both your audio and Windows update problem might due to malware.

In any case, try reinstalling first and post back with any results

Still Broken

Thank you for this quick advice!

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers with no change

I went to the site that you recommended. I downloaded the Microsoft Fix It and It checked everything but was unable to get windows audio to run. (EVERYTHING else runs just fine). It gave up.

If it is malware, any thoughts on how to take care of that?

Any other thoughts?

OK... Given your results, i think is best to rule out malware as the problem source before looking at anything else (fyi.. don't know malware is involved in your case but saw similar symptoms recently on friend;s computer where malware stopped both Audio service and Windows update.. so is good to check and rule malware in or out as the culprit in your case at this point)

Create a new thread in the TechSpot Malware help forum. You can tell them you have a problem with Windows Update failing and Audio service not running and someone in Windows OS forum suggested you should get checked for malware.

Follow directions here for instruction for Virus/Malware removal assistance. Copy/paste all your logs as instructed. Someone there will check you out. When done checked for malware you can post back to this thread

Hope we can get ya fixed :)

/* EDIT */
btw.. if at some point all this troubleshooting gets too painful, also consider if a fresh reinstall is also an option

So as I was looking at all of my settings and there were many things that were supposed to be automatic and were not running. So I gave up and did a system restore back to 3 days ago and now everything is working fine. I also backed up my entire computer beforehand just in case. Made for a long night but I am a happy camper once again.

I really think what happened was something crashed during a windows auto update and that was the source of all of my problems.

did a system restore back to 3 days ago and now everything is working fine. I also backed up my entire computer beforehand just in case.
Good move! And thanks for the update. Glad to hear it now works :grinthumb

So as I was looking at all of my settings and there were many things that were supposed to be automatic and were not running.<snip>

Hi again psc9586 :wave:

I just happened to think about your last post again.....

I'm glad system restore got your service settings fixed... but on reflection as to why the problem occurred in the first place, while you're right, anything's possible with computers and it may have been due to some type of crash.. Still, I think would be prudent to get checked for malware when you have the chance (as again, malware often is the culprit and would also explain all those troubles you had with service settings changing and not running)

Happy computing!

Back