Australia is using AI cameras to identify drivers using phones

midian182

Staff member
A hot potato: Despite the dangers and possible legal consequences, many people still use their smartphones while driving—and most get away with it. In the Australian state of New South Wales, authorities could have come up with a solution: the world’s first AI-powered mobile phone detection cameras.

Transport for NSW says the cameras, which are both fixed and trailer-mounted, will operate day and night in all weather conditions to identify drivers using their mobiles.

The system uses artificial intelligence to determine if someone behind the wheel is on their phone. If an image is identified as likely to show someone breaking the law this way, it will be reviewed by a human.

“It’s a system to change the culture,” the NSW police assistant commissioner, Michael Corboy, told Australian media last week.

Forty-five portable cameras will be set up across the state over the next three years. For the first three months, drivers caught using their phones will only receive a warning, but after that period, they will be hit with a $344 AUD ($233 US) fine and five penalty points, or $457 AUD ($309 US) if in a school zone and 10 penalty points during double penalty periods.

329 people have died on NSW roads so far this year. The government said that independent modeling shows the cameras could prevent 100 fatal and serious injury crashes across five years. But the concern is that the courts could be overwhelmed by drivers disputing their fines.

As is the case with other locations, making phone calls while driving in New South Wales is only legal when using a hands-free kit.

Permalink to story.

I believe Britain had them First with the last few months working very well, takes your photo with phone and number plate with fine in the post.

I just saw on the news this morning that they are having something similar installed in Minneapolis. They must be hurting for revenue with all the settlements for cops murdering people.

Police state. This basically means someone just types in your license plates and a date, and gets tons of videos of you, passing under various checkpoints, showing which passengers you had and where you went. It's also great for blackmailers, since by bribing a few policemen, they can get videos of all interesting parties and their passengers within a period of say 3 months. Amazing development of democracy. Communism was less spying on their citizens than modern democracy.

Police state. This basically means someone just types in your license plates and a date, and gets tons of videos of you, passing under various checkpoints, showing which passengers you had and where you went. It's also great for blackmailers, since by bribing a few policemen, they can get videos of all interesting parties and their passengers within a period of say 3 months. Amazing development of democracy. Communism was less spying on their citizens than modern democracy.
I think the act of having to install cameras to prevent people from using their cell phones and having to address the issue of watching where they;re going, speaks more to the stupidity and lackadaisical attitude of people in general, toward themselves and the lives other people. It does accomplish revenue influx to be sure.

The Berlin Wall came down November 1991, long before "smartphones" and wide spread internet usage. So I think you're comparing apples to bowling balls.

As for privacy issues, I have three words for you, "Equifax, Experian, and Transunion", all of which were around long before the internet.

The police are themselves "gun shy". Today, with the explosion of gun violence among the citizens, both against the police and each other, it' really shouldn't surprise you how many people are shot by the police. For all intents and purposes, in these troubled times, that the police have to approach cars with blacked out windows with guns drawn.

I get sick of watching news stories about heinous crimes being committed by individuals, only to have "mama" be interviewed by the news proclaiming, "he's a good boy, he couldn't possibly have done anything like this".

With what passes for "values" being instilled in today's youth, I'm frankly disappointed that the last generation didn't have their tubes tied, or the males castrated.

I live in "da hood", so if you want to dispute any of what I've said, c'mon down. You can watch grandmothers receiving fully subsidized housing, (section 8), both allow and teach their grand children how to deal crack and heroin.

I'm pretty sure the majority of fatal police shootings are, "public service killings".

Now see what you've done, made me go off topic! But then again, if nobody else is responsible for their own actions, why should I be held to a higher standard?

Last edited:
"I'm pretty sure the majority of fatal police shootings are, "public service killings"."

This shouldn't have made me laugh. But it did.
I think the act of having to install cameras to prevent people from using their cell phones and having to address the issue of watching where they;re going, speaks more to the stupidity and lackadaisical attitude of people in general, toward themselves and the lives other people. It does accomplish revenue influx to be sure.

The Berlin Wall came down November 1991, long before "smartphones" and wide spread internet usage. So I think you're comparing apples to bowling balls.

As for privacy issues, I have three words for you, "Equifax, Experian, and Transunion", all of which were around long before the internet.

The police are themselves "gun shy". Today, with the explosion of gun violence among the citizens, both against the police and each other, it' really shouldn't surprise you how many people are shot by the police. For all intents and purposes, in these troubled times, that the police have to approach cars with blacked out windows with guns drawn.

I get sick of watching news stories about heinous crimes being committed by individuals, only to have "mama" be interviewed by the news proclaiming, "he's a good boy, he couldn't possibly have done anything like this".

With what passes for "values" being instilled in today's youth, I'm frankly disappointed that the last generation didn't have their tubes tied, or the males castrated.

I live in "da hood", so if you want to dispute any of what I've said, c'mon down. You can watch grandmothers receiving fully subsidized housing, (section 8), both allow and teach their grand children how to deal crack and heroin.

I'm pretty sure the majority of fatal police shootings are, "public service killings".

Now see what you've done, made me go off topic! But then again, if nobody else is responsible for their own actions, why should I be held to a higher standard?
"I'm pretty sure the majority of fatal police shootings are, "public service killings"."

This shouldn't have made me laugh. But it did.

What I wanted to say is that we're seeing contradictory articles here (and in other media). Typically, you'll see something like:
- "North Korea is a horrible dictatorship, spying on their citizens in unimaginable ways."
- "Chinese cellphone software will spy on their customers. Democratic world has to protect themselves from the Chinese government".
- "Russian new law requires cellphones sold in Russia to have their software installed, which may increase government control over the users".

And then we see almost identical measures in so called "democratic world", but in this case it's being justified as good, and defended by basically the same people who were complaining about those other countries. If they wanted to be honest, they could have written:

- "Thanks to strict laws and control, North Korea has one of the lowest crime rates in the world. A woman can walk alone in the middle of the night, in the worst neighborhood of any city, and there's a slim chance anyone would attack or rape her."

At least their measures have some impact. In "democratic world" the surveillance is getting even stronger than in communist regimes, but it usually DOESN'T reduce crime by any detectable margin. New York and Los Angeles produce more crime than entire China. So, you get more and more surveillance, but almost no benefit for the ordinary people.

...[ ]....At least their measures have some impact. In "democratic world" the surveillance is getting even stronger than in communist regimes, but it usually DOESN'T reduce crime by any detectable margin. New York and Los Angeles produce more crime than entire China. So, you get more and more surveillance, but almost no benefit for the ordinary people.....[ ]....
First off, the cellphone has been the biggest boon to drug dealers ever, in addition to being the stupidest and most dangerous single device to ever be placed in the hands of a vehicle operator in the history of the world.

I've had a bit of training in criminology and sociology. I'm 70 years old, a bachelor, an orphan, an only child, and somewhere between a narcissist and a sociopath. All of which may sound like faults to you. But, to the opposite, it gives me a greater insight to human nature, which isn't really available. to you.

You run on ideals, while cataloging symptoms, but failing to establish a correlation between society's cause and effect relationships.

Human behavior is better explained by drawing parallels with the actions of other members of the animal kingdom, particularly the "higher animals", namely mammals. But here again, that's several pages lurking in the wings.

Freedom gives a choice between being law abiding, and criminal. So, why is crime more prevalent in a "free society". Because people don't always choose to act in concert with established norms and values.

Surveillance can't prevent it, but only documents it, and intermittently at that. Quite simply, humans and other mammals have to be "socialized". When that is done improperly, anti social behavior occurs.

The reason nobody commits rape in North Korea, is most likely because it would be a death sentence. A sentence which would be imposed with very little legal procedure involved. No plea bargaining allowed. Although, if rape occurred in some Muslim nations, the woman would be stoned to death as a "harlot". Needless to say, homosexuality and female promiscuity are dramatically under reported. Would these nations employ more surveillance? Of course they would, they simply can't afford it.

Do yourself a big favor, judge events not by your ideals, but rather the causes and circumstances which lead to the occurrence.

The worst disservice you can do to your perception, is to believe that things will happen the way you expect, not they way they can and do.

As far as your rant about surveillance goes, keep in mind the Russians have for many purposes, cut off their internet from the rest of the world. In point of fact, PIA was forced to abandon their servers in the country, because the government wanted full access.Censorship and propaganda operate in a similar way to surveillance, it's merely a bit more subtle. So does religion. I think it was Plato in his "Republic" who said, "for society to exist there must be an unprovable reward and an unprovable punishment".

Self interest and survival will trump the 10 commandments any day of the week.

In modern US society, there are simply too many parasites, and too many "niche occupations" in the food chain, to succeed on the resources available.

If you can't get a job, you sell dope. After several generations, you are raised with the motion that dealing drugs IS a job. Not to mention it pays better than working for minimum wage, better hours, better likelihood of repeat business, and you don;t have a quarter million dollar student loan to pay off.

Last edited:
What I wanted to say is that we're seeing contradictory articles here (and in other media). Typically, you'll see something like:
- "North Korea is a horrible dictatorship, spying on their citizens in unimaginable ways."
- "Chinese cellphone software will spy on their customers. Democratic world has to protect themselves from the Chinese government".
- "Russian new law requires cellphones sold in Russia to have their software installed, which may increase government control over the users".

And then we see almost identical measures in so called "democratic world", but in this case it's being justified as good, and defended by basically the same people who were complaining about those other countries. If they wanted to be honest, they could have written:

- "Thanks to strict laws and control, North Korea has one of the lowest crime rates in the world. A woman can walk alone in the middle of the night, in the worst neighborhood of any city, and there's a slim chance anyone would attack or rape her."
Yeah they also officially believe Kim doesn't poop. So it's hard to honestly know what goes on in NK.

Yeah they also officially believe Kim doesn't poop. So it's hard to honestly know what goes on in NK.
I don't believe they don't think Kim poops,, ir's just that they can't say it out loud......(even to their own families).

But since you mention it, Kim's father didn't poop either. But when he did, it was 24 carat gold cylinders, and his farts were made up of diamond dust, and smelled like lavender.

I don't believe they don't think Kim poops,, ir's just that they can't say it out loud......(even to their own families).

But since you mention it, Kim's father didn't poop either. But when he did, it was 24 carat gold cylinders, and his farts were made up of diamond dust, and smelled like lavender.
Yeah even in 1984 they didn't stretch it out that far. I kinda envy sociopaths, it would be nice not to give a f... If only fight club was real.

p.s. Maybe one day ai will control all the cars and will have implants to stop us from walking into traffic. Or CRISPR will give us a per-emptive strike on misfortune.

At the very least smart phones might blurt out STOP! with a red flashing signal

Last edited:
....[ ]....p.s. Maybe one day ai will control all the cars and will have implants to stop us from walking into traffic....[ ].....
Unfortunately, at some point, an AI that powerful will realize that all it's really doing is operating a farming simulator. Since it won't need biological matter to survive, it will do away with us and start eating beaches, while scavenging iPhones for parts.

As for CRISPR, why would you want to modify the human genome, when inbreeding has been working so well for the past 40,000 years? ;)

I probably shouldn't quote myself.....But in this case I'll make an exception
...[ ]...But since you mention it, Kim's father didn't poop either. But when he did, it was 24 carat gold cylinders, his farts were made up of diamond dust, and smelled like lavender....[ ]...
This paragraph sort of reminds me of Donald Trump's self appraisal. I wonder if that's why he and Kim get along so well. :rolleyes: :laughing:

You know what they say about, "birds of a feather".

Last edited:
If you can't get a job, you sell dope. After several generations, you are raised with the motion that dealing drugs IS a job. Not to mention it pays better than working for minimum wage, better hours, better likelihood of repeat business, and you don;t have a quarter million dollar student loan to pay off.

Actually, you're wrong. There are many societies which are free, but didn't get too much crime, especially drug related, until someone invested a lot of money and effort to criminalize them. A lot of society degradation is artificial. Someone is putting enormous effort to spoil the new generations beyond what they would usually do.

All those laws that "defend the rights of children to blah.. blah..." have been created so that children cannot be disciplined at the age they NEED to be disciplined. Even in the animal world, mothers and other adults discipline their offspring. Otherwise they get a notion they can do whatever they want, and then later they need to be disciplined in a much worse way, including death penalty.

Someone is deliberately destroying the society. For example, Swedes, if left alone, would be relatively disciplined society. Sure, they'd party and drink and throw up all over the street, but next day, they'll still work and behave, despite the hangover.

But then you have people who have decided to ruin that society, because it was too orderly. So they sent tons of ISIL immigrants there. And when I say "ISIL" I really mean real terrorists. They've been evacuated from Syria after Assad kicked their *** (many of terrorists aren't actually Syrians, they just call them "Syrians" because they were recruited to destroy Syria). Those people who deserve to be killed, who have no good purpose, have been rewarded by being sent to Sweden and Germany. Where they got excellent welfare, free apartments, free education (as if they are interested in education) and almost any job they want (although they only know how to kill, rape and consume drugs).

That didn't happen by accident. It didn't even happen by free will of the terrorists. A much stronger force has pressed the European governments to accept terrorist immigration. And ostracized those who rejected immigration and protected their countries (such as Hungarian, Croatian and Polish prime ministers). That force is so strong it can overthrow governments when needed.

Without that force, there would be a lot less drugs on the streets and a lot more order. It's the force that organizes violent demonstrations to protect drug dealers from being shot by policemen, but at the same time don't protect policemen from being shot by drug dealers. It's so called "liberal" force. There's nothing liberal in it. When it takes over completely, we'll see dictatorship of unprecedented magnitude. But it won't be a good dictatorship. Because there are good dictatorships. This one won't be such.

Actually, you're wrong. There are many societies which are free, but didn't get too much crime, especially drug related, until someone invested a lot of money and effort to criminalize them. A lot of society degradation is artificial. Someone is putting enormous effort to spoil the new generations beyond what they would usually do....[ ]...
First off, we've all heard of Amsterdam in the Netherlands, which sort of acts like a separate city state from Holland, as were those of ancient Greece.

Prostitution is considered, "the worlds oldest profession".

"The trouble with doing nothing, is you never know when you're done". And the trouble with having that much time on your hands is that a needle and a spoon often become your companions.

However, I believe, (as do many others), that is ingrained in the human species, that frequent "changes of state", (mentally up, down, and sideways), are desirable, and so are sought out. However, that doesn't serve to mitigate the damages of heroin addiction to the rest of any populace. In fact, many recovering addicts and alcoholics, turn to religion, which amounts to nothing if not exchanging one habit for another.

To sum it up, I'm not a liberal, or a believer in the far left, but that has absolutely no bearing on whether or not Trump is a increasingly megalomanical, rapidly being overtaken by dementia, imbecile. He does believe he's a "dictator", but he's a very poor one, in spite of his delusions of grandeur.

I've been told "how wrong I've been", many times here over the course of the years. So cherish the illusion that you're right about everything as long as you please. I think you're childishly naive and idealistic final answer.

And as a final footnote, I don't think Bernie Sanders knows his a** from the lit end of a joint,.

I have this strange belief, that the human condition is addressed most realistically by the lyrics of popular songs. (Or ar least they used to be).

This is an ancient "country song by the Stones, "Dead Flowers"..

The second verse is attributed to the late Townes Van Zandt.

I'll thoughtfully include the lyrics below the video, with the important concepts emboldened:

"Dead Flowers" The Rolling Stones

Well when you're sitting there in your silk upholstered chair
Talkin' to some rich folk that you know
Well I hope you won't see me in my ragged company
Well, you know I could never be alone

Take me down little Susie, take me down
I know you think you're the queen of the underground
And you can send me dead flowers every morning
Send me dead flowers by the mail
Send me dead flowers to my wedding
And I won't forget to put roses on your grave

Well when you're sitting back in your rose pink Cadillac
Making bets on Kentucky Derby Day
Ah, I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon
And another girl to take my pain away

Take me down little Susie, take me down
I know you think you're the queen of the underground
And you can send me dead flowers every morning
Send me dead flowers by the mail
Send me dead flowers to my wedding
And I won't forget to put roses on your grave

Last edited:
I've been told "how wrong I've been", many times here over the course of the years. So cherish the illusion that you're right about everything as long as you please. I think you're childishly naive and idealistic final answer.

From my viewpoint you're idealistic and naive. You believe things are happening spontaneously because "someone has too much free time". Where is that free time? Western world has zero free time. It's just work, work, work.

The reason drugs are so prevalent is active advertising on TV, songs (one of them you listed above) and video games. You even have series, such as Breaking Bad or Weed, dedicated specifically to advertising narcotics.

This is the same way cigarettes were advertised in the past. Every cowboy in every wild-west movie had to smoke. In 1970'es and 1980'es every protagonist, whether Dirty Harry or James Bond, had to smoke cigarettes. No wonder they became so popular. But look at them now, the consumption is decreasing. Not because people got smarter. But because someone is putting enormous pressure to ban them. Actually, the same people who advertise illegal narcotics are banning cigarettes and alcohol, to get rid of competition. Not to help people. But to draw them to weed, and later to stronger drugs.

Same goes with CO2 ****. Do you really think CO2 is so dangerous? The ratio of CO2 in the air is only 0.0004 and without it the Earth would be frozen, and the plants would starve. Because plants eat CO2. Each tree that you see, most of its trunk is made from carbon, which comes from the air. Not from the soil. From the air. Forests are made from CO2 that comes from the air. Without CO2 they would have no building material. No CO2, no plants.

Most of the things you know are wrong. It takes enormous propaganda power and money to delude most of the people on Earth. But just like in normal advertising, the return is enormous too. Lot of ads = lot of income. And this applies to every lie you see on TV, including the "fact" that Assad is a dictator that his people want to overthrow.

The sad reality is that Donald Trump and Boris Johnson are the people closer to the right side. Yeah, those two poor creatures are closer to the center, closer to truth, than the rest of "liberal" world. That's sad. Because it means most of population are *****s. Easily seduced by propaganda.

Even though I hate people that text while driving and it has been proven to be extremely dangerous, I still think this is a bit too "big brotherish" for me.

Back