Automatic emergency braking to become a standard feature on new vehicles by 2022

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Fully self-driving vehicles are still many years away but already, we're starting to see some autonomous driving features creep into modern vehicles in the name of convenience and / or safety.

It's a trend that's only going to accelerate moving forward as the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) on Thursday said 20 automakers – representing nearly the entire US auto market – have agreed to make automatic emergency braking (AEB) a standard feature on cars and light-duty trucks by September 1, 2022.

Trucks with gross weights between 8,501 and 10,000 pounds are expected to be equipped with AEB systems three years later in 2025.

As the name suggests, AEB systems are designed to slow or stop a vehicle if it detects a collision with another vehicle, a pedestrian or other object is imminent.

AEB systems are already utilized on several modern vehicles. As The Verge correctly points out, the feature first started showing up on high-end luxury vehicles more than a decade ago. As the technology became more refined and cheaper to implement over the years, we've seen it make its way into mainstream markets from a variety of automakers.

It's worth clarifying the fact that this is simply an agreement with automakers, not a rule or law. According to the NHTSA, going the route of an agreement will see the feature rolled out up to three years sooner versus a trip down the regulatory road.

Permalink to story.

So with heightened car security all a car jacker needs do soon is step in front of the car and contrary to your wishes to get the heck out of dodge it is going to stop for them? Don't ya just love the lack of joined up thinking?
Oh and this will be fitted equally on all vehicles or are certain organisations going to be given a back door around this technology as well?

I have this on my car. Its happened once when the car in front indicated right, entered a filter lane and stopped because of oncoming traffic. I was clear to continue but it missed the line separating our lanes and braked, it scared the **** out of me. Luckily nobody behind was close.

What happens when these sensors get to the age where they start becoming unreliable, it's a great new technology in some people's eyes, but what happens when the driver becomes dependent on the feature and it doesn't stop your car resulting in running someone down. Well it's America so lawsuits are going to fly every which way, the guy you hit, if he survives, will sue you, you will sue the automakers and the automakers will ask for money from the government. Sure this will save some lives, but the world is quickly becoming over populated, maybe we need rogue vehicular manslaughter. Don't forget, the now always connected car, what happens if someone hacks your car and disables this AEB system? Then who will the Americans sue? WHO WILL THEY SUE THEN!?!?!

Computers are good at crunching numbers among other things but driving a car? Has the human race go so lazy that they think computers can do every thing? Who invented computers - humans. Who built the first computers - humans. Who buys computers - humans. The problem with so called modern cars is there is little to none of real feed back information to the driver. If computers are sop good at driving why isn't F1 using that tech? I will tell you why - driving used to be an experience until we added all these so called driver aids - how many people today can read a map? How many people can get into a car and just drive it without the aid of navigation aids etc? WE have no idea of the problems created down the road when these computer aided systems malfunction? Example - Google car in accident already - could a human driver prevented that from happening?

Back