AVCHD (.mts files) How to play on XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

turjya

I have a Canon HG10 camcorder. The format used for recording directly onto the camcorder's HD is AVHCD. I am unable to play these files on my computer. Since these are compressed files (using MPEG-4, I think - not very sure) I do not want to convert them to another format. (Wastage of space)
What freeware can I use or what should I do to make these files (.mts is the extension I think) play in the existing format on my computer?
I do not want to edit the footage ... as yet. Just want to store them on my computer and play/ review the footage. It would be great if I could also burn DVDs which would play on a ordinary DVD player. Possible?
I have tried using Windows Media Player, VLC, Ivivo. Nothing works. My searh till now has yielded very complicated and intimidating instructions on how to go about it.
I am not very tech savvy. Still a novice.

Didn't the camcorder come with some software?

It did. With "Corel Application Disc", "Canon Digital Video Disk" and "Canon Backup Utility Ver 1.0". But can't activate it. I'm in India. The Camcorder came from Canada.
Apparently, I'm not the only one who is having problems with using the software that came along with the camcorder. I've found many on the web who have had a very tough time. Many have failed.

What I shall do is try and load the sofware that came with the camcorder again (I had completely forgotten about it till I read your reply) and will let you know where I get stuck. Maybe the it will be easier for someone to find a solution then.

New 2008.12.09 - MHplay.exe with .mts playback added.

I use this little program to play back media files almost to the exclusion of all others. It is small (100k) and I have copied it to my camera chips so that I have a player with me when I am not at home.

googlepages.com/mhplay.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back