AVG 8.5 won't update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry00

Hello all , Im back with another problem.. yay! :haha:

Ok, a year back, I had a virus( or something else ) that made sure I couldnt update AVG

"Connection to update server failed"

Again I have the problem :/
I fixed it last time by formatting my PC, reinstalling AVG has no use.. currently I have AVG 8.5 free
Please help! I really dont want to format my PC again!
I will do anything like last time!

Well. I'm not sure I'm completely in agreement with the advice I'm about to give you, but it is sound nonetheless.

Remove the AVG altogether, and install the free version of Avira. An AVG removal tool may be found at their website, I think you can download Avira from here.

Can you visit other security company websites? If not you may be infected again. The "Conficker" worm is a recent threat that causes just this very symptom.

Anyway go to the "virus and malware removal" forum; https://www.techspot.com/vb/menu28.html and carefully review the 3 threads at the top of the page.

AVG can be a tough install over itself, or you may have malware. Better to be safe than sorry.

I'll go along with the Captain on this. The AVG antivirus program has had numerous episodes with failed updates since v8 came out. There are usually workarounds- till the next time.

There are other, more reliable AV programs that have a much better track record. Since you're in this forum and not starting a malware cleaning, try Avira or Avast. This is NOT something you have to reformat your system for!

Avira: http://www.free-av.com/
Avast: http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

To change the AV program:

1. Download the new program and save it to your desktop. Do not run it yet.

2. Boot into Safe Mode> Go Offline (File> work offline)

3. Start> Run> msconfig> enter> Selective Startup> Startup tab> UNCHECK all AVG related processes> Apply> OK.

4. Control Panel> Add/Remove Programs> UNINSTALL AVG

5. Double click on the new AV setup on the desktop> Run.

6. Reboot the computer> ignore and close the nag message after checking 'don't show message again'. Stay in Selective Startup. Go back online when that message comes up.

7. Update the new AV and run a full system scan.

Ok... I know avast, so I will install it again ( will do the above steps now )
So its probably time to wait till AVG makes a fix?
I mean why not add the virus in the database :/

AVG:
I love the resident shield, cleans every virus lol.
Avast:
Every day, a new scanner?! O.O
Turn PC on, AVAST! next time, nothing...I start scanning a bit later.. program update!
Avira:
D=

So I will take Avast, tnx for the tips!! :)

6 of One....., Or Half a Dozen of the Other.......

Well, I kinda like the AVG also, hence the "I'm not sure that I completely agree with the statement I'm about to make" statement.

But, my AVG instalation was made on a fresh copy of Windows, with NO prior installs of any AV software whatsoever. AVG gave me a bunch of problems trying to update directly from version 7.5 to 8.00. I'm a trifle scared to try to go to version 8.5 for that reason.

You might want to consider installing the Avira, which seems to go right in, no problems. Avira seems to be currying the most favor at the moment. But that's a personal choice

Fix for avg won't update!!!

I got this fix from the AVG free forum. It worked for me.

Re: AVG 8.5 Free Edition updation problem: Receiving error "connection with update server has failed"
Posted by: avgfan56 (IP Logged)
Date: May 1, 2009 10:21PM
I was fighting with this same problem since upgrading to AVG 8.5 a couple of weeks ago on my Win XP machine. I could not do updates on any of my anti-virus, spy, ad, or malware. I also found out that I could not run regedit, msconfig, or a console window. After searching the net high and low for help, I finally found bleepingcomputers.com and they had the solution in one of their posts regarding the failure of regedit to run.

The key info was in the Apr 22 2009, 10:35 AM and Apr 23 2009, 02:21 AM posts from farbar. To get regedit to run, I had to go to the C:\Windows folder and rename regedit.exe to copy.exe. I then double-clicked copy.exe and the registry editor opens. In the left pane, I navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32

I highlight the Drivers32 sub-key. In the right pane under Name there is a value named aux. I looked at the entry for aux and saw that it was not set to wdmaud.drv as required, but in my case was set to ceito.nly. (This could be anything depending on the virus that caused the problem.) I right clicked the aux entry and selected Modify and typed in the Value Data box: wdmaud.drv. I clicked OK and close the registry. After rebooting, I delete the file: C:\WINDOWS\ceito.nly and I found that the reboot had restored the regedit.exe file to its proper location, so I simply deleted the copy.exe I had created.

Regedit, msconfig, and the console window now all work as do all my anti-malware updates including AVG 8.5.

Give this a try and see if it helps you!

Also worth a shot would be to download the latest M$ :
"Malicious Software Removal Tool", and let it sniff around for a while.

AVG Update, update. My AVG 8.0, of it's own free will, with no intervention on my part, updated itself to Version 8.5. Scared the heck out of me, I thought, "oh s***, is this the end of free AVG anti-virus as I know it"! It still even connects to the update server.

Oooo, it's nice too! Gone is the ugly blacked out tray icon when everything is not as it should be, replaced with a tasteful triangular exclamation point, that gently yet insistently informs me when something is amiss.

Point being, you might want to give the malware angle a bit of serious consideration.

Thanks millerhilife, I've copied down your info in case a member insists on keeping AVG8 and has the same issue.

I'll provide your quoted info
And the AVG8 uninstall tool

The user can make the choice ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back