AVG anti-virus not updating

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyromaster114

I use AVG Free anti-virus on all my computers. NONE of them have been able to update recently. (For about 3 days I think now...) The internet and everything seems fine, nothing else is wrong... but it just says that it's waiting for a response or something... and never moves from 0%...

Does anyone know how to get my AVG Free anti-virus updating again? I'm pretty nervous cause the database is out of date by now...

Just in case, make sure you are using the latest free version, which is 7.5 I think. If you are using an older version, they have probably stopped supporting it.

Actually that's probably it.
Auto Updates, does not work on the older version

Therefore use my link, and re-install AVG

agv anti virus free not updating

well its very simple. if you reinstall it may help, if it does not, its possible that one of the setting in your network connection has changed one way or the other, anyway, click on the network adaptor properties, re-check you dsn number, if you're not too sure, click on "obtain Dns server address automatically, Note that you can download from avg and other programs but you will not beable to update them if these setting are not right.

The latest version is 8.0...
It does not update automatically, and nothing about 8.0 is as good as 7.5 to my way of thinking.

Since this thread started some 11months ago !
My new recommendation is now (or has been for many months now) to remove AVG8 fully

Uninstall your AVG Antivirus
Then run the removal tool
Here is the 32Bit version (most users): http://www.avg.com/filedir/util/avg_arm_sup_____.dir/avgremover.exe
Here is the 64Bit version: http://www.avg.com/filedir/util/avg_arv_sup_____.dir/avgremoverx64.exe

Then restart

Then install Avira free AntiVirus

All users will be much better off doing this.

AVG8 was also removed from the UPDATED 8-step Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions since this thread started as well (about 5 months ago now) It should be noted that the version previously used was AVG7.5, which was quite good)
AVG8 was found to be not ideal for all the below reasons:
Too resource heavy confirmed
Faults under Virus\Malware infection often
Can cause Internet\Network lockouts often
Does not heal up as many infections as Avira or Avast always
Is reviewed across the net as low quality mostly
Generally a poor quality Antivirus (note: version 7.5 was ideal)

All users are advised to use better alternatives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back