AVG quarantined sporder.dll... am i safe to reboot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wackobird

I am using the free edition of AVG, and it found sporder.dll and identified it as Trojan horse Downloader.Agent.GPZ
I tried to google the downloader name and came up with zip, but when I googled the file name I ran across a tech site where someone reported not being able to use their computer after their anti-virus software deleted that file. :eek: Needless to say, now I'm wary of rebooting...
AVG reported that the issue is fixed and quarantined, but this is the first trojan I've encountered on this pc and I'm just worried that if I reboot it will begin a similar nightmare to what I had read elsewhere.
If its any help, there were 3 files quarantined... 2 from system restore folder and the other was C:\WINDOWS\system32\ActiveScan\sporder.dll
If anyone has had any experience with this issue, I would appreciate some advice. Thank you in advance.

That file is probably legit. However, it can be a malware infection, or just a false positive by your AV programme.

Checkout this article HERE and download a legit version of the file.

Regards Howard :)

Ok, I've just downloaded the file into the C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder as the article instructed.
I can't help but wonder if that is a valid file, then why AVG would report that for the first time and quarantine it.
I'm still leery of rebooting... :blush:
I'm going to run AVG again real quick to see if it reports on that file name again... I will post again to let you know the result of the next scan. Thank you for your quick response.

All antivirus programmes will give false positives from time to time. Having said that, the file your AVG has quarantined may well be nasty as it is known to be associated with malware. All you can do, is leave the file in quarantine and having replaced the file with a known good version, reboot into normal mode and see what happens.

Let me know if you have any problems.

This thread is for the use of wackobird only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

I just completed another AVG scan and this time it did not detect the sporder file. I am going to try rebooting with fingers crossed and eyes closed. :eek:
One of my reboot fears stems from the fact that this pc is the first I've owned that does not have a floppy drive, so I have been unable to create the emergency startup disks with AVG. I did not find a way to create those with a cd, so I'm a little nervous about that...
Additionally, I'm using the main administrators user account and I've heard that another account should be used for everything, and never that one. That is probably best addressed in another thread/forum, but I am unsure how to set up another account and what to allow it to do. :confused:
Again, your quick responses are very much appreciated. I will hopefully be posting again in just a short time after the dreaded reboot is performed. Thanks again :)

No errors came up after the reboot and all seems well so far. Thank you again for your quick response and excellent assistance. I love TechSpot!

That`s excellent news.

If you have any further virus/spyware problems, please post in this thread.

This thread is for the use of wackobird only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back