Azureus continues to download for no reason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howard the Duck

I'm seeding right now in Azureus and not downloading any torrents, but despite this the program says it's still downloading at about 10 bytes per second. It seems to be correct because I haven't added any files of any sort (in fact I've deleted a few) and my hard drive's space has gone down about a quarter of a gigabyte. I thought it might be some virus that downloads files from Azureus, but my antivirus program has found nothing.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've exited Azureus, but how am I going to stop it from downloading for no reason?

do alt ctrl delete
see if its still running,you can stop it there in process's
hard to turn those things off
when not in use disable the open ports

Of course you are receiving, how else does Azureus know what parts of the file to send and to whom?

SNGX1275 said:
Of course you are receiving, how else does Azureus know what parts of the file to send and to whom?

So Azureus normally downloads about 10 bytes per second to properly seed? I didn't know that.

Are they temporary files which are then deleted after seeding?

Do this.. Cancel all seeding, and remove them from the list, then shutdown AZureus and reboot the system.. What you have describe is not right.. When you reboot the system go into the folder where you have xxxx.torrent and delete those items. Remember not the torrent files you downloaded.

may have logging turned on and that will make some files
I did forget about the small download amounts
I don't know why it would do that other than they are not downnloads just packets of like handshakes and that they get deleted from a temp file
gotta watch those torrents stuff no 1 in virus and spyware in my book

If done right you won't have to worry about nasty pest... The torrent box should be max protected but don't go over board.

Spyware Realtime Protection On Max
Anti-Virus On
Firewall should be set to ask to access web pages otherwise then you don't know what your getting into. Also Whichever browser your using make sure you have cookies managed. The Browser should prompt you for cookie allow or not.
Also use Ccleaner daily or if you think something got put on..

If i was you id download utorrent and remove azureus .. for one it doesnt take much memory and i personally think utorrent is better but if you like azureus then stick with it

You can have both installed... I do but I find that utorrent is slower connections wise than azureus is faster because it's a java client program.

I don't know if they are temporary files. Maybe. But there has to be some data being sent because otherwise your client would have no idea what pieces to transmit.

Try sending a file over your local network just through explorer, then open up task manager and look at network usage. Set it so you can see sends and recieves. It has to recieve to send, just not near as much.

Thanks a lot for the tips everyone (especially those from tipster).

I removed the torrents in question and rebooted, and started downloading one new torrent to see if the problem would remain. For a second or two the torrent's own dowload speed itself went down to 0.0 kbp/s but the program continued to have a global download speed of about 13 bp/s, just like it did when I was seeding, which led me to believe that this must be normal for the program.

The only strange thing is that I'm pretty sure I remember seeding a bunch of other torrents while not downloading anything before and the global download speed stayed at 0.0 constistently. The only difference was that those torrents were normal torrents, not torrents I downloaded from the private tracker I recently joined. Perhaps the private tracker requires more temporary files during seeding, because it uses a special mod for torrents that have no peers but many seeders (which included me at the time).

Perhaps I will investigate the issue further later with aid from your other tips, but the good news is that after I removed the original problematic torrents from seeding (without deleting their actual downloaded contents), my total free memory went up from about 6 GB to over 10 GB, leading me to beleive that whatever data had been used up was from temporary files that Azureus requires, explaining the continued download speed during seeding only. Still, that's a lot of space for temporary files, even though I deleted a few in the mean time.

So apparently the problem's solved for now. Thanks again to all who helped, it's much appreciated.

I'm with SNG on this one, I have seen the same thing with uTorrent when I'm only seeding and also during any other network transfer. I've also noticed uploading on torrents that I'm leeching without being connected to any other leechers.

Think of it this way, you're sending a shipment of food to someone and they tell you they want 5 bushels of apples, 8 dozen bananas, 40 loaves of bread, and 30lbs of meat. You also need to know where you're sending it, who's going to be there to pick it up, etc etc. Except this is all happening on a scale of bytes.

I don't have any idea what you're going on about with private trackers and special mods.

Configuration Tips for Azureus

azureus v2.5.04 is what I use I never bother with the 3 as it's something else now. I did find verion 2.3.06 to be the fastest version yet. The last one which I am using is more stable.

If you click on Options then click on Advanced Network
Make the first item you see match what you set your Max Server Connections to: 50
Blind to the IP address: the pc your are using for BT
Bind to the local port: the one you use to open ports on your router for BT
Line MTU: matches your cable: 1500 or DSL 1492
blank

that's it..

Then click on Transport Encryption
Check the first box
Minmun encryption level RC4
Check the next two boxes and leave the last uncheck

Now let's move down to Transfer
unchecked - greyed
unchecked - greyed
unchecked - greyed
the all of the rest unchecked

click on auto speed
check the box
uncheck box should be greyed
uncheck box
greyed box

click on lan

check the box

click on torrents
click on performance options
uncheck box
check box
check box
size of cache in MB 32

uncheck box
check box
check box
uncheck box

click on save

Now open notepad

type:

@Echo off
del *.torrent

save this file as: Clean_out_torrent.bat stick this file into your *.torrnet folder (not the file you download) when the torrents are kept. If you really want to create a shortcut or use Windows Task Schedule to automatically run this batch file every 7 hours or more.

This will clean-up that torrent hash cache folder for you and let you download new or go back to download the file again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back