Bad RAM... very bad RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

resu

Hi, everyone

I trust we are all well

I'm in a little bit of a pickle ...

basically my dads motherboard failed on his PC .. so i replaced it with a new one just to give it a bit of a longer life
before building him a whole new system

anyway since the rebuild the computer just turns off for no aparrent reason

also what seems odd is that i will not complete a registry check which makes me think its either a dodgy file or a stick of RAM on the way out ...

the scan will get so far then the computer will shut down

do any of you guys and girls know a good piece of software to test RAM chips?

thanks in advance

You can also check for the RAM's rated voltages, which may differ from the standard. I had DDR2 PC-6400 OCZ RAM that was rated for 2.0V when the standard was 1.8V, which explained my instability and BSODs.

You can change the voltage settings (only when you confirm that your RAM requires more juice!) through the BIOS settings, depending on your motherboard model and BIOS iterations.

Its may be the power supply, but agreed with Obi-Wan, memtest is a life saver, well it save me $40 once. Very Simple to use, just google for a memtest tutorial.

Check all of your fans, processor and psu too, to see if they are moving. You might be having emergency overheat shutdown from the PSU or CPU. You might also want to download speedfan and monitor your temperatures to see if you are overheating.

Another suggestion: Maybe you forgot to put thermal paste on the CPU and Heatsink when you changed motherboards. That might be the reason IF YOU ARE OVERHEATING.

thanks guys ill give it a go tonight.

yea i thought it might have been the power supply.. so i changed it for one that i knew worked.

and the problem still persisted

Ill try speed fan and memtest this evening

hehe ive built dozens of pc s over the years and it seems that the more i build the more i get stumped by simple problems
maybe im just looking too hard for the solutions :)

thanls again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back