BAD_POOL_CALLER during Windows Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had decided (probably foolishly) to re-install Windows XP in an attempt to fix a variety of networking problems I was having. However, during Windows Setup, I get a BSoD with the BAD_POOL_CALLER message and the following stop codes:
0x000000C2 (0X00000007, 0x00000CD4, 0x00340045, 0xE1417FFC)

I have reviewed a number of other BAD_POOL_CALLER posts and I gather that C2 errors indicate bad drivers. But all of the suggested solutions assume that you can start windows somehow and update drivers or make other changes.

In my case, I cannot start windows at all because it is half-installed. It says safe mode is not available. And any other attempt to start it just sends me back to Windows Setup and the same problem. EDIT: Actually, I just figured out that I can go into the Recovery Console, so am exploring what I can do there..

This is a Dell Dimension and there is no hardware that was not installed in the factory.

The Recovery Console is usually more trouble than it's worth. You're probably better off reformatting the drive and doing a fresh install.

Yeah, I couldn't figure out how to do anything useful in RC. Looking at trying to recover some files before reformatting. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back