Bank of Ireland "glitch" caused mad rush to ATMs for "free money"

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Facepalm: Yesterday, ATMs owned by the Bank of Ireland began processing withdrawals without debiting customer accounts. Word quickly spread, prompting customers to line up at the failing machines to dip into the free piggybank. The mad rush caused law enforcement officials to deploy police presence to ATMs nationwide, but made no arrests.

On Wednesday, the Bank of Ireland stated that an "IT glitch" caused a malfunction that has since been remediated. However, that was well after a quasi-bank run in which some customers withdrew more money than they had in their accounts.

Typically, ATM debits are limited to €500. However, The Irish Times notes that the cash machines allowed customers to transfer as much as 1,000 euros from the Bank of Ireland into their Revolut accounts – an online bank similar to PayPal. These transfers were permitted even if they exceeded the customer's balance. They could then use their Revolut cards to withdraw the funds from the same machine.

Late Tuesday night, the bank warned customers that all withdrawals, even those over limits, would be deducted from their account balances when the glitch got sorted out.

"We would like to remind customers if transferring/withdrawing funds – including over normal limits – this money will be debited from their account," the bank tweeted. "We are conscious customers may not be able to check balances, but should not withdraw/transfer if they are likely to become overdrawn."

The bank claims transactions during the glitch did not exceed average daily business levels.

"[The] volume of transactions conducted last night wouldn't be a significant proportion of our overall transactions volumes through an average day," a Bank of Ireland spokesperson told The Irish Times.

However, Garda (Irish police) told the BBC that they received calls to several ATMs throughout Ireland regarding an "unusual volume of activity." Officers were deployed to maintain "public safety" and "order" as people formed long lines at the malfunctioning machines. Garda withheld the name of the "financial institution," but it is readily apparent which bank was having issues. Nobody was arrested since the problem was an internal accounting error, and customers appeared to be conducting normal transactions.

The Bank of Ireland and Garda did not mention if criminal charges would be filed against those who intentionally exceeded their limits. However, the bank did say that debits against accounts would go through starting today and that overdrawn balances would be subject to the usual credit rating penalties.

That said, Bank of Ireland customers who took advantage of the situation are not the only ones potentially facing hot water. Minister of Finance Michael McGrath said on Wednesday that he requested the Central Bank to investigate the incident and report to him how the IT problem occurred. The bank has apologized for the "outage," but it's unclear what penalties it might face if the issue arose from negligence.

Permalink to story.

Sometimes people are stupid when they think oh free money. Trust me those that went and took out more money than they had in their accounts are going to be in the negative and will have to either put it back or pay it back or probably face charges for trying to steal money that was not theirs.

Sometimes people are stupid when they think oh free money. Trust me those that went and took out more money than they had in their accounts are going to be in the negative and will have to either put it back or pay it back or probably face charges for trying to steal money that was not theirs.
It's kind of hilarious that there are already people tweeting at the bank asking if they will face overdraft fees if they "accidentally" took out too much money. ROFL You can't make this kind of stupidity up.

It's kind of hilarious that there are already people tweeting at the bank asking if they will face overdraft fees if they "accidentally" took out too much money. ROFL You can't make this kind of stupidity up.
I can't believe I'm saying this man, but maybe the bank should give everyone a chance to return the money
Every penny, before taking action. Though they certainly are not required to do so. And should not be.

Every seasoned developer has their own war stories, but I really want to see the commit behind this bug (and why the tests didn't catch it). Seems like guaranteed inclusion into future textbooks...

Every seasoned developer has their own war stories, but I really want to see the commit behind this bug (and why the tests didn't catch it). Seems like guaranteed inclusion into future textbooks...

A bug.... They can't test everything. But no such thing as free money from a ATM unless you blow the device in bits. All transactions are logged. Thats what the bank is exactly saying. They will charge the customers who took money.

There is really no hope for humanity.

Those *****s used their OWN cards to take out money that wasn't theirs = Digital card transaction trail

AND ATMs have cameras!

Need I say more??

Ok, If I had an account balance of 1 euro and had no concern about keeping a positive balance I would withdraw 10.000 euros and say good bye to the bank, then I would move to a small town in another country, open a shady bussiness and become the city top gangster.

Then I would fall in love with Alancyr, the wife of a local guy named Slamidr. I would kill him while hes sleeping and hide the body at his cousin house so he gets the guilt. We would marry and have three red head kids. The police will caught up to me and send me to jail, just to let me get locked in the same cell with Slamidr's cousin. He would kill me while I sleep as revenge and bath in my blood while dancing naked praising the Whole Gods of the Oak forest.

After 10 years, my first born get his alcohool situation straight and start a new life in Ireland, leaving the bad memories of his father's life behind. He falls in love with a lovely woman name Nidia, they are about to marry. That afternoon, everything seems fine, but Nidia needs to tell my son an unnerving truth...

She meets him outside the church, and after a long silence, she gives him a letter....
The letter says "Balance: -10.000 euros. Pay it."

Last edited:
Back when I was 16 I knew well enough that "free" money given to you from the bank wasn't yours to keep.

I stopped at the local bank to deposit my paycheck - I deposited most of it and kept $80. The teller gave me back crisp new $20 bills. He handed them out to me as he counted out the total. I took my money and stepped away from the counter and as I was putting the bills in my wallet I found that there was 5 bills in all, two were stuck together and the teller missed it. I knew the teller would be in trouble if his counts came up short and I wasn't one to steal so I got back in line, showed the teller his error, returned the extra money that wasn't mine and went about my business.

I'd like to say that I'm not surprised by the stupidity of these people, thinking that they can just get free money from a bank when they withdraw or transfer the funds to another account. The bank has records of this and they want all their money back and they will take it back, without your permission. These people are just stupid and I hope they learn their lesson by watching their accounts get overdrawn....morons.

Bugs are missed.

One place I worked at, the programmers accidently created a loop for the security software they made for the proprietary software programs it was designed to protect. Part of the security software's design was to verify if the security software is actively running and talking to the proprietary software. Somewhere along the lines the programmers had the software doing a continuous check that was happening over and over and over again, nonstop. The end result was that after a few months of this check happening over and over again it actually went through all read/write cycles on the SSDs and the SSDs started to fail.

Sometimes bugs happen.

That reminds me of a Facebarf scam going around about the "Cash App glitch" giving free money! There are people that actually believe it, wow, no wonder they voted for Demoncrats! Free money!🤣🤣🤣

Welp, enjoy your overdraft fees everybody!

Really though, what do people expect?

Someone I worked for years back through some snafu wrote me a paycheck twice for one pay period. Next pay period they were like "We are SO sorry, this next paycheck is for like $5" expecting me to have spent my double paycheck and flip out. They were SO releived when I pointed out "It's fine, I saw I was double paid, I didn't run out to spend it."

Back