'Battlefield 1' to focus on historically accurate weaponry

Shawn Knight

Staff member

In the weeks leading up to the reveal of Battlefield I, rumors suggested the game may take place in an alternate reality World War II. That proved inaccurate, however, as we learned in May that Battlefield I will instead be inspired by the First World War.

As we inch closer to the October 21 launch date, much of the narrative regarding the game has to do with DICE’s attention to detail as it relates to historical accuracy.

In the clip above, Era Game Designer Martin Kopparhed notes that there was a huge variety of weapons used in WWI – everything from clubs and medieval-style melee weapons to fast-firing and sub-machine guns. Design Director Lars Gustavsson said they’ve done extensive research in order to recreate the weapons with regard to how they sound, what they feel like and how you’ll handle them in the game.

Infinity Ward and DICE are taking vastly different approaches to the next installments in their respective first-person shooters. While Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare will take the fight beyond the confines of our home planet, Battlefield 1 players will step back in time. The directions couldn’t be more opposite and despite the harsh criticism that Infinite Warfare has received thus far, it’s really a win-win for gamers.

Think about it. If the two games were exactly alike – both set during World War I, for example – that wouldn’t be much fun for players that prefer a more modern or futuristic approach to combat (and vice versa). There’s an audience for both games and I have little doubt that each will rake in boatloads of money this holiday season and beyond.

Permalink to story.

More futuristic approach to combat? It's literally the same game they've been releasing for the past six years, just reskinned.

More futuristic approach to combat? It's literally the same game they've been releasing for the past six years, just reskinned.

More futuristic?

Am I reading something different or what? Does this article talk about how they are trying to take an accurate approach on WWI weaponry?

I dunno, I miss stuff sometimes...

Edit: You must be referring to Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare, which this article mentioned... barely... In what aspect do you think they meant that? Either that or you skimmed the article.

More futuristic?

Am I reading something different or what? Does this article talk about how they are trying to take an accurate approach on WWI weaponry?

I dunno, I miss stuff sometimes...

Edit: You must be referring to Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare, which this article mentioned... barely... In what aspect do you think they meant that? Either that or you skimmed the article.

The article states that they are going in a different direction with the other competing franchise. And the words, futuristic warfare are used. That is what he was referring to ... I'll be here all day for your reading help.

I'm still mixed on the game. Previous BF titles were just far more exciting and well-paced. I wouldn't quite call it a pure CoD clone yet, but it seems like they really tried this time with how the gameplay felt during the alpha.

The article states that they are going in a different direction with the other competing franchise. And the words, futuristic warfare are used. That is what he was referring to ... I'll be here all day for your reading help.

From the article:

Think about it. If the two games were exactly alike – both set during World War I, for example – that wouldn’t be much fun for players that prefer a more modern or futuristic approach to combat (and vice versa).

A modern/futuristic aesthetic != A modern/futuristic approach to combat.

The correct term for what Shawn was saying is 'setting.'

P.S. I don't tutor for charity. That's your only freebie.

Read the whole thing. Capitalized on the opportunity to CoD bash provided at the end of the article.

From the article:

Think about it. If the two games were exactly alike – both set during World War I, for example – that wouldn’t be much fun for players that prefer a more modern or futuristic approach to combat (and vice versa).

Read the whole thing. Capitalized on the opportunity to CoD bash provided at the end of the article.

No, first you read my whole comment again. I dont think you get what I'm saying or you cannot understand something.

From the article:

So you think Shawn had meant to type "setting" instead of "approach"? I doubt it, but whatever.

No, first you read my whole comment again. I dont think you get what I'm saying or you cannot understand something.

I read your comment correctly the first time. I also read the full article (ergo, "Read the whole thing").

My first comment had nothing to do with Battlefield 1.

So you think Shawn had meant to type "setting" instead of "approach"?

No.

SSDD .... again!

^ This man gets it.

Oh BF1 looks so good played at the live event and closed alpha can't wait to see the beta later this month and final product.

Back