Battlefield Hardline open beta begins, system requirements revealed

Scorpus

Staff member

Starting today Battlefield fans will be able to check out the latest title in the series, Battlefield Hardline, as part of a global open beta program. EA is hoping that by running an extensive beta program they will be able to avoid many of the launch issues that plagued Battlefield 4 at the end of 2013.

While the Battlefield Hardline beta will be available to gamers on all platforms - PC, Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360 and PS3 - if you are planning to run the game on a Windows machine, you might want to check out the system requirements.

Naturally, EA has stepped up the graphics in this Frostbite 3-powered game, so you'll need more powerful hardware in your system. Only 64-bit capable machines are supported, and in the final version of the game you'll need 60 GB of free hard drive space.

For the beta, EA advises that systems with just 4 GB of RAM may struggle to run the title, although the game should be optimized for entry level systems come launch time.

Recommended Minimum
CPU Intel "Quad Core"
AMD "Six Core"
AMD Athlon II/Phenom II 2.8 GHz
Intel Core i3/i5 2.4GHz
GPU AMD Radeon R9 290
Nvidia GeForce GTX 760
3 GB of VRAM
AMD Radeon HD 5770 (1 GB)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 (896 MB)
RAM 8 GB 4 GB
OS Windows 8 64-bit (with KB971512 update) Windows Vista SP2 64-bit (with KB971512 update)
Storage 60 GB

The final version of Battlefield Hardline will launch in North America on March 17th. The open beta will run from February 3-8.

Permalink to story.

Thanks for this.
I assume the Windows Update appears after the beta is installed?
I did a google and that update quoted only affects server 2008 and vista Service Pack 2 as far as I can tell? So not really sure what update for Windows 8 is actually required.

What I find odd is that it needs 60GB space.
BF4 is like 50GB, if the graphics are even better, and the textures are even high res, 10GB isn't all that bad. And from Experience, games very rarely take up as much space as they say they will.

LoL at recommended specs,R9 290 will leave GTX 760 in dust.

I found that odd as well.
Maybe they've seriously optimized the engine for Nvidia cards? Even so though, those two cards are on different leagues!

That entire chart is odd. GTX 260 and Athlon II even for minimum? So basically this game can run on a potato it seems.

Can't wait to see the CPU and GPU performance tests when the game hits retail.

That entire chart is odd. GTX 260 and Athlon II even for minimum? So basically this game can run on a potato it seems.

Can't wait to see the CPU and GPU performance tests when the game hits retail.
Probably means that you can just run the game with Athlon II, but not actually play it with any reasonable framerate. Also in the minimum section i5 is required which is very demanding.

What is with the dramatic jump in hard drive space requirements in just the last year or two?

Probably means that you can just run the game with Athlon II, but not actually play it with any reasonable framerate. Also in the minimum section i5 is required which is very demanding.

I picked out those two because they were the most strange to me. But yeah, the i5 there, the 4GB RAM, and the Intel and AMD "quad core" in the recommended section. All very odd, like it was done in 2mins by someone that just got his A+ online I don't know.

I picked out those two because they were the most strange to me. But yeah, the i5 there, the 4GB RAM, and the Intel and AMD "quad core" in the recommended section. All very odd, like it was done in 2mins by someone that just got his A+ online I don't know.
Yeah, hope that you will be right and that the game will be able to run on mid/lower tier hardware.

Iam playing the beta release and the game play is pretty good.. Graphics are not like bf4.. It is average but I hope they will on everything towards the end on release day for a better game play

How did they possibily put an Athlon II and a Core i5 in the same column?
Even a first gen i5 would be insanely more powerful.
This optimization for only specific brands is really getting annoying.
Any words on Mantle or DX12?

I've seen the previews for this and I'm not interested. It is a departure from the traditional "Battlefield" game. I wish they had called it something else honestly. I hope this game doesn't take a bite out of or replace the traditional Battlefield gameplay style. Overall I hope that BF HL will not be successful. Just my personal opinion and desire...

I used to love battlefield 2, still play on odd occasion even though ea have discontinued support for it and I dont think they have got the playability right in all the releases since, maybe hardline will surprise me but doubt it. but unfortunately lost all faith in ea with recent account hacked and banned for it(something do with fifa ultimate team and I dont even play fifa) and yet to even hear a response since new year so even if is the greatest game ever you wont find me paying for anything off ea again...maybe an illegal torrent :/ rant over :p

Well I dont know but my gtx 660 is running this decently on high settings at 60 fps guess the 760 is a good choice for a recommended

What I find odd is that it needs 60GB space.
BF4 is like 50GB, if the graphics are even better, and the textures are even high res, 10GB isn't all that bad. And from Experience, games very rarely take up as much space as they say they will.

I found that odd as well.
Maybe they've seriously optimized the engine for Nvidia cards? Even so though, those two cards are on different leagues!

Just compared the GTX 760 and R9 290, the R9 290 is 65% faster at 2560x1600 and 50% faster at 1080p.

Back