Battlefield V DXR Real-Time Ray Tracing Performance Tested

Julio Franco

Staff member
Ray tracing off still looks amazing to me. I'd trade 60+ fps at higher resolutions anyday. At least 60 fps at 1440p with my 1080 ti is a great upgrade from 1080p. As long as it's smooth and lifelike. No motion blurr.

OK, so real-time ray tracing isn't a fit for FPS games in its first iteration. But I can't wait to see how games that don't focus on fast paced action will utilise it. Games that focus on visuals similar to "What Remains of Edith Finch" or "Everybody's Gone to the Rapture" are going to look awesome. Various RTS and RPGs are also probably going to be able to take advantage of this technology to look amazing.

Either they should have cancelled the raytracing in this title or made a better gpu that can actually run raytracing. Don't know who did a bad job but someone did and I hope he gets fired. I bet even the 21XX can't run raytracing at 4K and as I wanted my next upgrade to do 4K I have to wait for the 22XX series and I bet by then they introduce another gimmick to make games run like ****. They really don't want me to buy new hardware..... hope investors force them to offer something that people actually wants.

Excellent article, congrats! This is why I believe that pre-ordering something is a stupid idea.
Intel and Nvidia have been milking us for years now, for not having high-end competition, but they will not get my money when I upgrade my PC again, that´s for sure.

OK, so real-time ray tracing isn't a fit for FPS games in its first iteration. But I can't wait to see how games that don't focus on fast paced action will utilise it. Games that focus on visuals similar to "What Remains of Edith Finch" or "Everybody's Gone to the Rapture" are going to look awesome. Various RTS and RPGs are also probably going to be able to take advantage of this technology to look amazing.
You are asking for indie games and small studios to invest time and money into it. Very few will do it.

Battlefield being a fast paced game isn't suitable for highlighting RTX(despite reflections only). That said RTX is new technology and it got to start somewhere. I remember 8800 GTX being miserable first generation hardware for crysis, 480/5870 for metro 2033 and so on. The RTX cards are at least better of in comparison.

Hahaha early adopters are feeling the pinch now for sure. and a lot of publications did mention this awful performance before.
Early adopters are the reason technological advancements are being pushed to the public and becoming mainstream. Be grateful.

Ray Tracing is completely useless in the current graphic generation. It is easily two graphic generation away. To play with Ray tracing on 4K we will need at least 3 RTX 2080Ti on sli mode

And some poor souls were wondering why Morgan Stanley and others have downgraded NGridia for RTX that will never deliver in 20x0 edition ,even before the launch of any titles that use some sort of raytracing computations .

I love this website usually, but in this particular article I have to ask why did u run such a limited set of benchmark. OK, so it runs dogshit on ultra, what about the other graphical presets? There are some folks out there like myself who care more about frames than fidelity, and will happily play Medium settings with DXR on if that results in better performance. Of course now I don't know that because for some reason u did not benchmark those settings, u didnt benchmark anything at all really.

Be interesting to see if/when DLSS is implemented it can make ray tracing useable for this generation of cards.
No it won't. We already know that DLSS is not great for lower resolutions. Even 1440p has some upscaling problems (DLSS upscales from 1080p to 1440p using a new AI assisted technique). It's mainly for 4K, but even with it enabled I don't see it helping to get AAA games into a playable state at this resolution.

"And honestly, Nvidia should have been far clearer about what to expect from ray tracing when they announced their new GPUs."

But why be an honest company if you can hype up the product while nobody can use the highlight feature of this generation, get a ton of sales, and then disappoint the customers? Fanboys will justify it saying it's just 1st gen raytracing and well worth the cost of entry for the "privilege" of experiencing it first (whatever that means). Regular consumers will identify the RTX series as the poor value it really is. Meanwhile, Nvidia has already won the Fall game with a ton of sold cards at an obnoxious price markup.

I got mad enough at Nvidia's price hikes with Pascal, that I decided to try AMD GPUs for the first time, an RX480. I loved it, but with the mining craze, I couldn't pass up selling it for way, way more than I paid for it (I made north of $150 extra!). Got a cheap 1060 with the earnings but I've been disappointed with it ever since. I ended up buying a Freesync monitor and now I'm waiting to upgrade to Navi. I wasn't expecting to like AMD better, and yet, trying both sides of the mid-range offerings has revealed a very different truth than I was expecting.

I love this website usually, but in this particular article I have to ask why did u run such a limited set of benchmark. OK, so it runs dogshit on ultra, what about the other graphical presets? There are some folks out there like myself who care more about frames than fidelity, and will happily play Medium settings with DXR on if that results in better performance. Of course now I don't know that because for some reason u did not benchmark those settings, u didnt benchmark anything at all really.
It was explained that the difference between Medium and Ultra is too small to even consider testing (virtually identical). It would have been just a waste of time.

"We tested several other sections of the game and couldn’t spot any difference between the three higher settings."

It's either a bug or intentional because of the lack of time.

Last edited:

From what I understand that won't have any effect, RTX runs on a separate part of the GPU normally not being utilized if the game doesn't support ray tracing. That's why the 2070 GPU side starts to run under utilized with ray tracing enabled. Turn the regular settings down as far as you want, there just aren't enough "Gigarays" to go around regardless of visual settings.

Now do I cancel my trade in with EVGA and just go get a 1070TI/1080 whiles they're on sale... Really need to upgrade from my 970, it struggles at 4K bad with games on my 65".

From what I understand that won't have any effect, RTX runs on a separate part of the GPU normally not being utilized if the game doesn't support ray tracing. That's why the 2070 GPU side starts to run under utilized with ray tracing enabled. Turn the regular settings down as far as you want, there just aren't enough "Gigarays" to go around regardless of visual settings.

Now do I cancel my trade in with EVGA and just go get a 1070TI/1080 whiles they're on sale... Really need to upgrade from my 970, it struggles at 4K bad with games on my 65".

I can't recommend the 1080 gtx enough, it has been phenomenal for me since release.

If nvidia had used the same amount of RT cores on all of the cards we would have a "glimpse of the future" without feeling totally ripped off.

Back