Beats 1 is now Apple Music 1, more changes coming to streaming music service

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Why it matters: Apple's decision to phase out the Beats brand in its streaming music product could be indicative of a bigger move to distance itself from the Beats brand in general. That may sound crazy given the success of Beats - and perhaps it is - but the possibility is certainly there, especially if Apple would rather promote its AirPods line.

Apple on Tuesday announced a rebranding of its flagship music radio station and added two additional stations to its repertoire.

Beats 1, the 24/7 radio station that started broadcasting via the Apple Music app on June 30, 2015, will henceforth be known as Apple Music 1. Only the name is changing – everything else listeners have come to enjoy, including the station’s team of presenters and shows from today’s top artists, will remain.

Apple Hits, meanwhile, will serve up a full catalog of the biggest songs from the 80s, 90s and 2000s. The new station will have its own daily on-air hosts and exclusive shows from artists such as Alanis Morissette, Snoop Dogg, Shania Twain and Backstreet Boys, just to name a few.

Apple Music Country, as the name suggests, will put the spotlight on the best of today’s country music while simultaneously introducing listeners to the stars of tomorrow and reminding them of the legendary artists that have defined the genre up to this point.

Apple Music radio is available across nearly every Apple platform including the iPhone, iPad and HomePod. And as of last September, it’s also accessible via the web at music.apple.com.

Masthead credit: Vasin Lee

Permalink to story.

There's nothing like taking a well known name and having a committee of overpaid people ruin it in order to make themselves feel better, thinking they're pleasing everyone with their action.

Best thing about Beats 1 is Zane Lowe, I know he has always been a hip hop fan but he doesn't play as much variety now as he used to on Radio 1. Metal to Hip Hop, Emo to Drum n bass, Indie to pure pop, he used to do it all. :(

Best thing about Beats 1 is Zane Lowe, I know he has always been a hip hop fan but he doesn't play as much variety now as he used to on Radio 1. Metal to Hip Hop, Emo to Drum n bass, Indie to pure pop, he used to do it all. :(
Dude I saw him DJ at the warriors dance festival at MK bowl in 2010 best gig I ever went to. The prodigy, Pendulum, Enter Shikari, Chase and Status were all there and a few others.

There's nothing like taking a well known name and having a committee of overpaid people ruin it in order to make themselves feel better, thinking they're pleasing everyone with their action.
Sure, can't please everyone, but it's not like Apple is not a "well known name." It's also not like Beats was ever that successful on its own in the streaming audio space. My guess is Apple felt they had progressed enough in the music space so that the Beats name was no longer a value add.

Personally, I feel the Apple brand is more inclusive than the Beats one (meaning there's a larger universe of customers who are inclined towards Apple but not Beats, than there are customers who are inclined towards Beat but not Apple.)

Back