Begginer pc builder

Hey so, I've been wanting to learn how to build a PC but felt it might be a little over my head. So I decided to learn how to replace parts or upgrade my current PC before learning how to build one. I bought a pre-built PC with an i5 processor and an LGA 1155 motherboard I think. Can anybody help get the basics of upgrading a pc?

PC building is simple and not all at the same time! The simple part is that most of the parts connections are pretty straight forward. The difficult part can be figuring out which stuff is compatible with what you want to work with. So it is good to figure out what is going to be your base component. Meaning, what is it that you plan on using or keeping. Typically it is either your processor or motherboard.

I typically use Newegg.com to help me figure out what my compatible component options are and then shop around for the best deal. The processor is probably the most difficult component to upgrade because you have to remove the heat sink, clean off old thermal compound from the heat-sink and processor, remove the processor, put in new processor, apply new thermal compound, put on heat-sink (new or old is up to you) and pray that you didn't screw anything up. lol

Most important part of all, is to make sure you are grounded (go to your room! jking!) so you don't accidentally statically discharge on one of your PC components. So make sure there is some metal near by you can touch. Typically most computer cases are metal.

Also, use Google to do additional research. If you use Bing, I will never answer anymore questions :p

Back