Belkin Wireless router with built-in Asdl modem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if someone could help with a networking issue as I'm a bit of a doughnut with these things to say the least lol.
My Daughter recently got a Belkin router with build-in asdl modem and a Dell lap top. Now we actually access the Internet via an NTL broadband cable modem not via an Asdl connection but she has still been able to access the internet ok via the wireless card in her laptop with the router plugged into the Ntl cable modem. The problem is I purchased a Belkin wireless adaptor for our one year old desktop pc and it picks up the wireless network with a very good signal but it just cannot connect to the internet, I just get the stock dns error page (although my daughter swears it did connect for 15 minutes on Sunday). I've checked the Ipconfig and that seems to be to the correct address as stated in other postings on here.

The thing is is there likely to be a problem with my router's config or is the problem that the router has a Asdl modem we are trying to bypass (although it doesn't seem a problem with the laptop) ? I don't want to have to send the router back if I don't have to obviously will if it comes to that . Any help would be appreciated.

The router isn't that good as you're getting those DNS errors. I was getting those too. The Router makes a good Access Point or a small SPI/NAT Hardware Firewall. That's about it. There are other choices out ther that's better than the Belkin.

Avoid

Belkin 1 ant wireless 54G dsl/cable router
Belkin 2 ants wireless 54G Plus with high speed 125mbp dsl/cable router

Both are slow and give dns errors... You could try to reset them and maybe lucky to get them to work, but they hang, get so hot they crash an etc. A lot of reboots also.

Thanks for the reply. The only problem are these are the routers that PC World recommend you use for NTL/Telewest connections. Not that they seem to know what they are talking about as they nearly crapped themselves when I said I had a technical problem yesterday. Hopefully I can get them to take the adaptor back as it doesn't do the job.

Well no matter what the Router doesn't know connect. I have 4 of these Belkin's and they all do the same thing with different hardware with different users. Most people just take back the Router to the store. I have purchased another brand and don't have this problem anymore.

Thanks for the link... :)

tipstir said:
Most people just take back the Router to the store.
Well my son has one and it works flawlessly -- but it's attached to Mac :grinthumb

If I need another, I will certainly go with the Belkin.

I've installed many Belkin routers and other Belkin networking devices - most without incident. I even bought a couple for my personal use over the years. I'm not impressed with their products, but from the wide variety I've seen, they work just fine and at a pretty good price point too.

I've also installed scores of other routers and worked with a very wide variety of brand and off-brand products. I can tell you the big brands will usually give you just as much trouble.

What it comes down to is inexpensive home networking products are just bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back