Best Buy refreshes logo for the first time in nearly three decades

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Consumer electronics retailer Best Buy on Wednesday launched a refreshed logo as part of a revised marketing strategy that also includes a new overall look and feel with updated colors, photography and “conversational language.”

As you can see, the company’s iconic yellow price tag has been put on a diet and now plays second fiddle to the large “Best Buy” text that appears front and center in a clean, bold font. Best Buy says the logo is now more modern and easier to read, especially in today’s digital world. I can’t agree more.

While iconic, the giant price tag logo felt quite dated, especially in today’s modern retail landscape where brick-and-mortar stores aren’t the dominating forces they once were. Of all the tech rebrands I’ve seen in recent memory, this is by far my favorite.

Best Buy Chief Marketing Officer Whit Alexander described it as an evolution toward the future.

The new logo is already being featured on Best Buy’s website and in digital and TV ads and will soon be added to uniforms, signage and shopping bags, we’re told.

Best Buy’s new commercials, meanwhile, were directed by Academy Award-winning director Errol Morris. They were shot in black and white with the only color being the bright blue of the Best Buy employees’ shirts. Look for them to debut on May 13.

Permalink to story.

Seriously, that's the best they could come up with? I think any junior-high graphics art student could do better.

I wonder how much money they paid the marketing company to come up with this. Not to mention what it will cost changing all the signage on their stores.

Crazy...

So that mean the yellow tilt tag sign what was yellow with black outline is gone to Blue/White with a yellow tag sign. Odd way to push the public back to the stores. They hardly have anything left in the store to really be interested into going to. Everything is Online today. Why not turn the store into Online store we order online and go pick it up like the old Service Merchandise store changed did. I haven't been to Best Buy since just maybe 2010. I don't see the point to go into the store to buy anything I can't get online cheaper. Washing Machine, Dryer, Stove Fridge, Dishwasher all got from either Lowes or Home Depot because they offered same day delivery and installation. Also prices are a lot cheaper as well. SEARS and Kmart don't see how long those will be around either. Walmart (blue) and Target (red) You merge into one chain they both sell odd and ends yet still Target is mostly empty while everyone at Walmart. Falling prices not like it was before. More like Rising Prices.

Not everyone buys online or even likes to. While millions do there are even more who don't. Everyone has their reasons. It's why Best Buy, Target and Walmart even exist and will continue to do so.
Amazon isn't for everyone and screw up a lot of orders.
Stores may be more money cause they have to pay employees where as places like Amazon don't. In the sense that BB employees have to talk about the product, Amazon don't do anything but ship it. Plus some ppl cant even wait a day and want it now. Stores can do that, online can't.
Also some ppl don't want to look at a picture but want to see the item and mess with it. Again stores can do that, online can't.

While not all like dealing with employees at BB, Lowes, Home Depot, Sears or Walmart, there are millions that do and will continue to do so.

Amazon and other online retailers aren't the end all be all option. They make plenty of mistakes and it's not always easy to get help or even get your money back.

So that mean the yellow tilt tag sign what was yellow with black outline is gone to Blue/White with a yellow tag sign. Odd way to push the public back to the stores. They hardly have anything left in the store to really be interested into going to. Everything is Online today. Why not turn the store into Online store we order online and go pick it up like the old Service Merchandise store changed did. I haven't been to Best Buy since just maybe 2010. I don't see the point to go into the store to buy anything I can't get online cheaper. Washing Machine, Dryer, Stove Fridge, Dishwasher all got from either Lowes or Home Depot because they offered same day delivery and installation. Also prices are a lot cheaper as well. SEARS and Kmart don't see how long those will be around either. Walmart (blue) and Target (red) You merge into one chain they both sell odd and ends yet still Target is mostly empty while everyone at Walmart. Falling prices not like it was before. More like Rising Prices.

All of those stores you mention offer in-store matching pricing for any items they sell against what you find online. So the only thing you're losing by going to those stores as opposed to shopping online is the mind-numbing marketing ads that bombard you from their websites.

Last edited:
Not everyone buys online or even likes to. While millions do there are even more who don't. Everyone has their reasons. It's why Best Buy, Target and Walmart even exist and will continue to do so.
Amazon isn't for everyone and screw up a lot of orders.
Stores may be more money cause they have to pay employees where as places like Amazon don't. In the sense that BB employees have to talk about the product, Amazon don't do anything but ship it. Plus some ppl cant even wait a day and want it now. Stores can do that, online can't.
Also some ppl don't want to look at a picture but want to see the item and mess with it. Again stores can do that, online can't.

While not all like dealing with employees at BB, Lowes, Home Depot, Sears or Walmart, there are millions that do and will continue to do so.

Amazon and other online retailers aren't the end all be all option. They make plenty of mistakes and it's not always easy to get help or even get your money back.

I'm pretty sure Amazon has to pay its employees. Perhaps you meant they don't pay for retail locations? Well, even that's not entirely accurate since they now have physical shops in a few cites, plus you have Whole Foods and whatever else they acquired lately.

Best Buy is just chasing the latest trend of bland, forgettable, generic design. This is the opposite of what smart brands do, but their probably so desperate they'll grasp at anything. I'm amazed that the government hasn't managed to push through a national sales tax on all Internet retailers. That gives you some idea of the lobbying power Amazon and Wal-Mart have. Its not talked about much but Wally World has shifted a huge amount of its business online. A decade from now Wal-Mart will probably be the only department store left standing and they'll only carry the daily essentials. You'll be expected to have a VR rig to shop for anything besides groceries, light bulbs or cat litter..and that's not a world I care to live in, frankly.

Last edited:

Not Everyone purchases exclusively online, and sometimes people just want to see, and touch. Additionally Best Buy price matches every major competitor.... Even Amazon. I also know that Best Buy holds their installers to much higher standards compared to the industry so even though it may not be same day, you're getting someone who will stand behind you the whole way.

As for the logo, I don't mind it. It's also easier to load and mobile friendly and is just a bit more clean. I think the logo shows that Best Buy is a vastly changed company from back in 2010-2012 where they had serious issues. They are substantially better now. Make no mistake, there will always be opportunities, but it's best to be patient and point those opportunities out to management because they do in fact listen.

Seriously, that's the best they could come up with? I think any junior-high graphics art student could do better.

I wonder how much money they paid the marketing company to come up with this. Not to mention what it will cost changing all the signage on their stores.

Crazy...
They don't need to reinvent the wheel, they just needed a more modern font and colors. It's in line with what I would expect from a big brand. The imagery is the biggest change and it's done quite well. It's a textbook example of what 2018 branding looks like.

The rebranding's cost (fonts, colors, text, iconography, imagery etc) is generally in the tens of thousands (maybe hundreds for such a big brand) and the marketing (ads, props, banners, uniforms, website, etc) should be in the millions.

Please don't confuse branding with art, it's two very different things.
(disclaimer: I have experience working at a good branding company)

Last edited:
Back