Best laptop under $400

oldikes

At this point in time I was headed for an A6, I just need to be able to play skyrim/BF3/MW3 etc etc.

So for 300 to 400 (cheaper IS better) i was wondering what was the best i could find. I was looking at these two:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung...Id=4073078&st=A-series&cp=1&lp=4#BVRRWidgetID

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+La...41016361&skuId=3893083#tabbed-customerreviews

I like the keyboard on the samsung better (unless the HP is chicklet and i just cant tell) but it LOOKS like the HP has a bluray drive, but i cant confirm it. Bigger hard drive is a plus.
so if the HP has a chiclet keyboard im getting it most likely, but a blu-ray drive isnt THAT big of a deal to me, and i can always upgrade the hard drive later (i dont imagine using more than 250 GB)
im on a rather tight budget, so that 20 bucks (especially with tax) off is cool.

Just wanted to know what people thought.

There is no such "best" animal. Many, many will work fine, but expect them to be unreliable as the days and years pass.
I would look for the one that offers the longest warranty... Even if they offer a better warranty for an additional cost, that means they believe in the system board a bit more. Maybe.
Most of the Laptops sold for less than $500 are all made in the same giagantic building in China... quite a site to see if you ever get a chance to go visit. They just put a different cover and brand name on them and ship them out in stacks huge towers wrapped in thick plastic.

Whatever you get at that price, count on it having a short life... perhaps three years or possible four before the system board begins to curl and break the circuits.
Get the best you can afford, by brand name, with dealer support, or warranty.
There are some I would avoid, but I would guess they don't want me saying that here.
I would prefer a top brand used one... one that cost $1400 and has dropped to $400 or less... Better system. Better components. Look at Lenovo T-series for ruggedness.
Good luck. Please let us know what you decided.

Back