Best Of: 10 free Steam games worth playing

Julio Franco

Staff member

While Steam gets a lot of hype for discounted prices, you don’t actually have to spend any money to enjoy some of the best games the service has to offer. Over the years, Steam has accumulated a number of great games that are free-to-play, and I’m here to tell you which ones you should check out.

Some of these recommendations will be obvious, as some of Steam’s biggest games are free-to-play—so why wouldn’t I suggest them? But, I also want to make sure to tell you about the smaller free games you might otherwise not hear about, especially when it comes to games that try something new. With that in mind, here are our top free Steam games that everyone should try.

Read the complete article.

There's absolutely nothing of any interest for me here. It's mostly multiplayer stuff here which I don't do and if it's not then it looks like the kind of game you couldn't pay me enough to play. Being free I'm sure they'll be popular.

Warframe is steam free game, which means it's PC.

Hawken looks awesome.

Path of Exile, played it for a while it was cool, the way you develop your character and have a bazillion way to do so, but it gets a bit too repetitive for my taste, never got to see the end-game of it.

Thanks for the list. Some I already play though I'll have to check out a couple of the other games.

I just clicked into this to check if Marvel Heroes 2015 was on the list, because it deserves a spot here. Anyone who's enjoyed playing the Diablo games would enjoy this game, especially if you're a Marvel fan to boot. It's got a great F2P model. Everything is achievable through gameplay (apart from maybe extra bank/stash slots), and there are no mechanics put in place to hold you back if you don't buy stuff.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm new to Steam. Between work and homelife, I don't have a lot time for games. I don't like plopping down $ for a game I may not even have time to play.

Cry of Fear is an excellent psychological horror game, and definitely worth checking out. Graphics are a bit outdated (game uses HL1 engine), but game is so immersive, and story develops so well, that graphics won't bother you at all. Turn off the light, put on the headphones, and give it a chance, you won't regret it. ;)

What about Total War Arena? I haven't played it yet (not had the time), but I have it downloaded. Reviews so far have been overwhelmingly positive, it is however still in alpha which may be me answering my own question!

A couple of these I might check out.... When I have some free time that is. Thanks for the list of free games to play.

I've been playing warframe for years, they add new stuff all the time and its not pay2win, can recommend if you like a fps with mild rpg components.
The pay vs free option boils down to time, you can instantly buy something or farm the parts and build it for free.

I tried hawken once but just couldn't really get into it

Warframe started on PC then got ported to PS4 a few months after release

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm new to Steam. Between work and homelife, I don't have a lot time for games. I don't like plopping down $ for a game I may not even have time to play.
That's understandable but since this article is talking about free games you aren't risking any money.

War Thunder and Marvel Heroes 2015 should be up there, especially over "how do you do it" and "depression quest".

I played over 1000 hours on Path of Exile. If you were a Diablo 2 addict, and you were disappointed by Diablo 3, you will love Path of Exile. It feels like a spiritual successor to Diablo 2, and adds many new dynamics which makes for a great game. Even if you liked Diablo 3, give Path of Exile a try. It is free to play, but not pay to win. Be prepared though, it doesn't cater to casual players, and there is a lot of grinding.

Depression quest? Sorry but No. That game gets it all wrong. I found it a bit insulting as I have depression. I hardly found anything relatable.. Even if you watch the steam review section you see a lot of people agreeing. It may be a fun game to play, but don't think it's the actual truth. I wonder how they made the content. Have they actually spoken to a depressed person who openly gave an answer? Or is it just from what they saw?

I'm leaning toward a thought that if someone has depression, playing this game would never be a desire of theirs. I doubt anyone with depression would want a reminder of that fact.

Warframe is steam free game, which means it's PC.

Hawken looks awesome.

Path of Exile, played it for a while it was cool, the way you develop your character and have a bazillion way to do so, but it gets a bit too repetitive for my taste, never got to see the end-game of it.
Hawken is using CryEngine 2 if I remember correctly. It really looks cool. I haven't tried it yet as I don't have time for other games beside Starcraft 2... :)

"A game that puts you in the shoes of an 11 year old girl who doesn’t know how sex works, How Do You Do It? is short, sweet, and refreshingly honest."

That isn't creepy at all.

Was the inclusion of Depression Quest with the tagline "Disclosure: I am friendly with the developers behind the game." a joke or are you serious?

I recommend NOONE to play that garbage "game," it's more of a horrible story. It has only been promoted by some untalented girl who slept with a journalist to get positive votes. It's the game behind the GamerGate Scandal.

Wow. Depression quest? FOH. I recommend not touching anything with Zoe Quinn's name attached to it. And the game is NOT good at all.

Rest of the list is just fine.

Back