Best of IFA 2018: What's Next on TVs, Laptops, and More

You are absolutely NOT future-proofing yourself if you buy an 8K TV. Even now there are still competing HDR standards for 4k and you cannot buy a TV that supports all the formats. And by the time 8k is mainstream you know there will probably be 8 more revisions of HDMI, HDR, and who knows what else. But, I'm likely preaching to the choir here.

Can we please get improved sound on current TV's? Yes I know you can only do so much with a thin TV but I don't want thinner at the cost of HAVING to get a soundbar.

Last edited:
You are absolutely NOT future-proofing yourself if you buy an 8K TV. Even now there are still competing HDR standards for 4k and you cannot buy a TV that supports all the formats. And by the time 8k is mainstream you know there will probably be 8 more revisions of HDMI, HDR, and who knows what else. But, I'm likely preaching to the choir here.
I tend to agree, I have rephrased to better communicate what Rob was likely trying to say.

8 kay, finally, just wait until the price drops to <4k, New formats are resolved through firmware updates no big deal.

To keep sales ticking over they have to appear to be offering better products.... 3D failed, curved screen failed... 4K worked hence the 8K version..... trouble is 4K wasn't as good as it should be.... sure looked great when inputting 4K but with SD it is poor..... this is why certain retailers only play 4K in their store and not what customer will view at home..... Plasma still a better allrounder!

Back