Best Online Stores

dgower2

I'm looking for SAS HDDs and Newegg doesn't have much of a selection. I know about Zipzoomfly also. What are some other very good online computer parts retailers?

Thanks. I just checked and they have a really small selection of SAS drives as well. Maybe the technology just isn't mature enough yet.

It's not about the maturity of the technology, but the fact that no one needs to buy it.

SAS drives are usually sold through equipment manufacturers and since it's enterprise class stuff, there is little demand for them in the consumer market. In a typical deployment scenario, you put the SAS drive in an enclosure and the enclosure takes manufacturer-specific drive trays so you have to buy the tray with the drive from the enclosure maker (they won't sell you standalone trays).

Also, why would you want a wide selection? Business customers are not interested in Big Numbers and buzzwords and "extreme edition" and whatever. They want a drive that's fast and reliable. Given that there's only a handful of enterprise drive makers and only a couple of standard sizes, there are only so many combinations possible.

Back