Best way to create a 1 page a day book for eReaders?

SNGX1275

I want to create an ebook for reading on a Kindle or whatever, and ultimately it will have 1 page for each day of the year.

I want to be able to do this on a computer, probably as a *.rtf file. I was originally just going to use WordPad and insert a page break after each day's content. Turns out that even though WordPad and rtf files can handle page breaks, you can't insert them from within WordPad.

I'm not sure that a Kindle can read rtf files (it probably can) so I was going to convert the rtf to mobi with Calibre after completing it.

So.. My question is. Is there something small and basic that I can use to accomplish this? I know I could do it in Word (or ugh GoogleDocs) and insert page breaks that way, and then eventually save as *.rtf, but I was thinking there has to be a program that is light like WordPad but will insert page breaks. I did google simple rtf editors, but I got a bunch of results for web developers and sort of gave up pursuing at that point.

I'll probably just do it in Word and save as rtf, but I was just not wanting to go that way if there is a program that will do it outside of a full featured office program.

Edit: Maybe I don't need the page breaks anyway... I was thinking, the Kindle might override any defined pages based on the size text set on the Kindle.

Try digging up an old copy of "Microsoft Works". I have it, but it's tatooed to my board as "value added" software. It used to be available as a cheap "buy me instead of Office" disc. I have no idea what in the way of DRM the install disc has in it. I should run under XP without a problem. Any CD emulator should be able to rip and mount it, regardless.

I was playing with its word processor the other night, doing exactly what you want to do, but with music tabs. Rich Text does hold the page breaks, but I figure you already know that.

I only have "Works" on one computer, so .rtf is the way to go so as to avoid installing "Open Office", on every computer in the house.

I remember Microsoft Works, heh. I bought an HP Pavilion the summer of 1998 and it came with a Works CD (along with several others, believe Microsoft Money was also in there). Never used it much because I got that PC for college and then everyone was using Word, so I had to obtain a copy of Office and just used that...

Here's one way, but due to RTF headers, the results are no usable;
  • create & save document.xxx
  • create daily addendum and save as day1.xxx
  • type day1.xxx >>document.xxx
do this with TEXT files and it will demonstrate the concept is correct.

Back