1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Bethesda might not sell Rage 2 on Steam

By Polycount ยท 27 replies
Dec 10, 2018
Post New Reply
  1. More and more big players in the game industry are moving away from Steam as their sole distribution platform, and Bethesda has been one of the latest companies to do so.

Fallout 76 on PC was only available directly through the Bethesda.net game distribution client - it could not be purchased through Steam or any other third-party platforms. Now, evidence has surfaced that suggests the company may do the same for ID Software's upcoming Rage 2, the sequel to 2010's Rage.

The chaotic, Mad Max-like shooter has not appeared for pre-order on Steam and attempts to pre-purchase the game through popular key-selling website Fanatical displays a message warning users that all sold keys are for Bethesda.net, not Steam.

Furthermore, attempting to pre-order the game directly from its official website will only give you the option to purchase through Bethesda.net; Steam isn't listed anywhere.

All of this combines to make it fairly clear that, at least on launch, Rage 2 will most likely be a Bethesda.net exclusive - for better or worse.

That doesn't mean the game will never arrive on Steam, but for now, it's not looking good. If Rage 2 does well enough, Bethesda's future games (perhaps even main series entries like The Elder Scrolls 6) might never arrive on platforms other than Bethesda.net.

Permalink to story.

2. m4a4

m4a4 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,355   +870

Then I might not buy Rage 2 at all.

3. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 11,208   +4,873

It is their prerogative not to sell to people like myself, who only buys from Steam. No skin off my back, I'll find something else.

ghostf1re and ShObiT like this.
  4. kevbev89

kevbev89 TS Booster Posts: 106   +98

Wayyyy to many damn platforms now....

uPlay
    Steam
    Battle.net
    Bestheda.net
    Origins
    Epic Game Store
    Microsoft Store
    Discord Store

what else am I missing??

ghostf1re, Humza, m4a4 and 3 others like this.
  5. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 4,882   +3,315

Just another great reason NOT to buy it!

6. Skjorn

Skjorn TS Maniac Posts: 309   +169

GOG
    All the clients are fine to me. Why not make your own store and take all the profit? Valve was asking for it all to happen by taking 30%.
    Eh I wasn't going to buy it either way. No co-op.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  7. kevbev89

It kind of bothers me a lot because I don't like having so many different things installed. I especially hate it when I have to install a platform to just play 1 game.

Also some platforms just provide a better experience than others :\

H3rmit and ShObiT like this.
  8. ShObiT

ShObiT TS Maniac Posts: 155   +158

+1, Loved Doom 2016, got it at Full price, wont even dare to touch Rage or Doom sequel if not on steam, I'm not going to have the franchise all over the place.

H3rmit likes this.
  9. ShObiT

ShObiT TS Maniac Posts: 155   +158

I'm sensing FLOPs air coming from this title if this turned out to be true...

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    H3rmit and ghostf1re like this.
  10. BigBoomBoom

BigBoomBoom TS Enthusiast Posts: 48   +47

Twitch also sell games. I happened to get Tyranny on Twitch due to Amazon Prime while already got it on Steam.

11. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,424   +384

Ugh. It's as bad as all of the studios starting their own streaming services - I want simplicity, not a thousand different accounts I have to juggle just to get the content I want to consume. Same with gaming.

Feels like the entire industry is getting less consumer-friendly on the PC front. I find it amazing that the very studios who vehemently defied the "PC gaming is dying, consoles are the future" mentality over the years, are slowly driving consumers to a state where the simpler single console/platform provider option is enticing.

H3rmit likes this.
  12. kevbev89

Not to mention some may not be up to security standards, leaving your personal information more at risk if you have accounts on all those platforms....

H3rmit likes this.
  13. amghwk

amghwk TS Guru Posts: 431   +257

I miss the days of simple physical media distribution. You own the physical disks from floppies to CDs and DVDs bought from your favourite store either in the mall or outside, which came with boxes and thick manuals. It's just you and your game in your hand, and you feel like an extension into the gameworld by holding the physical medium in your hands.
    And some games came with peripherals and accompaniments which further extended the gameworld into this world.

Nowadays, they are rip-offs in the name of "collectors edition" with prohibitive prices and you have to pay for them, instead of getting it default like those days.

14. Suisam

Suisam TS Member

Nope....not touching yet another steam clone.

I'm done and there are many more games I'd rather play than be forced to use yet another game manager.

H3rmit and ghostf1re like this.
  15. Humza

Humza TS Maniac Posts: 174   +136

What you're missing my friend, is a damn all-in-one store that I don't want to disable at windows start up.

16. cliffordcooley

It would be more accurate to say you couldn't disable it.

Humza likes this.
  17. Skjorn

Skjorn TS Maniac Posts: 309   +169

Yeah cause Sony has never been hacked.

Yall funny. Can't manage a few launchers?

ghostf1re likes this.
  18. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 3,231   +1,666

Aand... it failed before it even launched.

19. Adi6293

Adi6293 TS Addict Posts: 117   +69

Hmm I might just get it for the Xbox then......

20. Dimitrios

Dimitrios TS Maniac Posts: 320   +220

Someone call up Gabe and tell him he needs to make a new Half-Life game!

21. pambaboy

pambaboy TS Rookie

GOG Galaxy

22. mbrowne5061

mbrowne5061 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,127   +603

I'm just waiting for the meta store to drop; like the pidgin of game stores.

23. Polycount

Polycount TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 1,472   +327

I'm a big fan of competition, particularly in the gaming industry, but all of these platforms are becoming overwhelming. Developers now expect us to have anywhere from 3 to 7 game store clients running on our computers at any given time - if you ask me, that's completely unreasonable.
    Worst part is, the revenue split argument doesn't even apply to these big companies, because their games sell enough that they fall into Steam's lower revenue split bracket automatically.
    Now, if all 7 of these clients had similar game line-ups and not just company-exclusive titles (FIFA, Anthem, Mass Effect, etc.), I wouldn't argue so much. But it's starting to feel like it's just the video streaming situation all over again - gotta have Netflix, Prime Video, Hulu, and a dozen other services just to watch a few specific shows now.

H3rmit and cliffordcooley like this.
  24. cliffordcooley

I wouldn't really care from a browser based perspective. But requiring independent clients is as you say unreasonable.

H3rmit likes this.
  25. ghostf1re

ghostf1re TS Maniac Posts: 325   +200

I already decided on against giving any money to Bethesda anyway. Fallout 76 is a joke and a slap in the face to consumers and I won't support Bethesda moving forward because of it.