Biden Administration says China is the culprit behind Microsoft Exchange cyberattacks

jsilva

The big picture: The Biden Administration issued a statement claiming "with a high degree of confidence" that China exploited the Microsoft Exchange vulnerabilities to acquire confidential information for gain. The White House already confronted the Chinese Government about this and other malicious cyber activity related to it, pointing out how these actions injure the confidence and stability in cyberspace.

In early March, Microsoft Exchange vulnerabilities had given unwanted access to over 30,000 government and commercial organizations in the US. These vulnerabilities were exploited by "at least 10 hacker groups," allowing them to control servers remotely via a web browser. By late March, most Microsoft Exchange Servers were patched against these vulnerabilities.

According to Biden's administration, China's Ministry of State Security (MSS) hackers exploited the Exchange Servers vulnerabilities to engage in ransomware attacks, cyber-enabled extortion, crypto-jacking, and rank theft from victims worldwide. This caused billions of dollars in lost intellectual property, proprietary information, ransom payments, and mitigation efforts.

White House's statement is backed by allies and partners of the US, including the European Union, the United Kingdom, and NATO. Besides the White House, the US's Department of Justice also indicated that four individuals working for China's MSS were charged for attacking multiple entities and organizations between 2011 and 2018 targeting the aviation, defense, education, government, health care, biopharmaceutical and maritime industries, among others.

The UK's National Cyber Security Center (NCSC) and the Council of the European Union also issued statements denouncing the China's malicious cyber activities and backing the US' position against these attacks.

In response to the attacks exploiting Microsoft Exchange vulnerabilities, the US will be strengthening the USG's Cyber Defenses. First steps include making sure that cyber actors can't access public and private networks anymore and add private companies to the US Government's new model for cyber incident response.

CISA, NSA, and FBI are also releasing a "cybersecurity advisory" detailing cyber techniques used by China-sponsored hackers to target US and allied networks, including those used to exploit the Exchange Server vulnerabilities.

To further protect Federal networks and improve US's cybersecurity, the Biden Administration funded the Federal government to modernize their network defenses, implemented President Biden's Executive Order, and issued a directive to oblige critical pipeline companies to meet cybersecurity standards.

Masthead and Image Credit: Alejandro Luengo, ESET

Permalink to story.

It's such a good thing that we no longer need to worry about Trump using "China!" as a culprint for all his failings!

And before you guess no, I'm not pro Fascism, I'm just anti-government overall and this does includes blatant liars like the DNC they don't get a free pass.

So? You think Biden, the Republicans, Democrats, business CEO's would do anything about it?
Nope! Because China OWNS everything. They could cut off pretty much everything. How about
pharmaceuticals? Most ingredients come from China.

So what is a reasonable, proportionate response? I wonder how much countries like the US are responding to state sponsored hacks covertly rather than publicly, overt action risks escalation.

Nice hysterical rant. Where's your proof it's a lie? Maybe you can tell us who actually did it if it's not China.
Proof is not a strong point of the right.

This announcement was made in unison with 10 other countries so far ranging from similar announcements as ours to condemnation. Do you think the right will take note of that and report it?

Me neither.

QUOTE = "The UK’s Nationwide Cyber Safety Heart (NCSC) and the Council of the European Union additionally issued statements denouncing the China’s malicious cyber actions and backing the US’ place towards these assaults."

Quote from this write-up:
"US, allies and partners have come together to expose China's malicious cyber activities

Last edited:
So what is a reasonable, proportionate response? I wonder how much countries like the US are responding to state sponsored hacks covertly rather than publicly, overt action risks escalation.
I have thought about that myself, but I think if we were responding it would have become public knowledge by now. But fingers crossed.
It's hard to fight when American hackers get their jollies attacking American targets while Russia, China and maybe Iran are also doing it to us.

I have thought about that myself, but I think if we were responding it would have become public knowledge by now. But fingers crossed.
It's hard to fight when American hackers get their jollies attacking American targets while Russia, China and maybe Iran are also doing it to us.
I think of how sophisticated stuxnet was, that went straight after scada systems running uranium enrichment, we only found out because it infected other systems in its effort to deliver the payload. I don’t think there is any question of US/Western capability, but maybe their targets are government/ military/ counter hacking operations and their victims would not reveal breaches?

Nice hysterical rant. Where's your proof it's a lie? Maybe you can tell us who actually did it if it's not China.
Same government who lied to the world about Iraq's WMDs. Are they still searching for it?
Same government, who with Israel, not Russia or China, developed and unleashed the stuxnet virus in 2010 which wrecked absolute havoc. Have they even admitted to this, let alone apologize?
The same government, not China or Russia, who bugged the EU offices in Brussels and Angela Merkel's personal cell phone. I reckon that's fine?
This is simply part of the push to justify invading China, just like the lie in 2003 that Iraq has WMDs (Colin Powell and co.), but US won't / can't go alone so they're disseminating anti China propaganda to win support from the "international community".

Last edited:

Every... singe... issue... the US has is because:

- Russia
- China
- Trump (new scapegoat/blamegoat)

In no particular order, take your pick.

They will sing this lunacy song till the end of times and at least half the country is full of brainwashed morons to believe it.

Murica de greatest country in the world my ***. It has stopped being that decades ago... decades ago.

I would not live in that country even if someone would give me 100 million $$$.

Every... singe... issue... the US has is because:

- Russia
- China
- Trump (new scapegoat/blamegoat)

In no particular order, take your pick.

They will sing this lunacy song till the end of times and at least half the country is full of brainwashed morons to believe it.

Murica de greatest country in the world my ***. It has stopped being that decades ago... decades ago.

I would not live in that country even if someone would give me 100 million $$$.

Someone’s jealous.

Imagine understanding that after reading my comment, lmao. 🤣

You must be one of those that sees everything inversed: white is black and black is white for you, right?
Well, what we have here is a pot, meet kettle moment. Your words remind me of exactly what the USSR sounded like in the 80s and back.
Brother, you need to learn all your 40+ year old thoughts mean less than nothing to us anymore.

Same government who lied to the world about Iraq's WMDs. Are they still searching for it?
Same government, who with Israel, not Russia or China, developed and unleashed the stuxnet virus in 2010 which wrecked absolute havoc. Have they even admitted to this, let alone apologize?
The same government, not China or Russia, who bugged the EU offices in Brussels and Angela Merkel's personal cell phone. I reckon that's fine?
This is simply part of the push to justify invading China, just like the lie in 2003 that Iraq has WMDs (Colin Powell and co.), but US won't / can't go alone so they're disseminating anti China propaganda to win support from the "international community".

Invading China? Nobody on earth has aspirations to invade the communists! The fear is the opposite, that China will take over the world and convert it to communism. Under the Biden ineptocracy the process is moving forward.

How so? Be specific, no copy and paste without proof. (There's that word again)

Head in the sand? Why do I have to educate you? Ever hear of Hong Kong or Taiwan? Google is your friend.

Like everything else going wrong, Dementia Joe has no world respect except as a carpet for foreign leaders to walk on. His weakness has emboldened everything from criminals, to illegals and to China/Russia. Time to pull your head out of the sand.

Head in the sand? Why do I have to educate you? Ever hear of Hong Kong or Taiwan? Google is your friend
I already did. Nothing to back what it seems you are claiming, except right wing media. And we all know better than to give them an ounce of consideration. And you didn't even mention what Biden specifically had to do with it.

Dementia Joe has no world respect except as a carpet for foreign leaders to walk on. His weakness has emboldened everything from criminals, to illegals and to China/Russia.
You sure you want to go there with Biden? The last President (the one that lost the election amongst his people) fell in love in China and wanted to build a Trump Tower in Moscow. And let's be specific about war criminals he pardoned. Not to mention, he has the diction and vocabulary that a 6-year-old would be ashamed of. And I am saying that while drinking covfefe and planning a trip to Yo Semite. Not to worry though. I will be amomanoush.

Just remember, you don't get to be an "educator" when everything you learned came from your transistor radio.
So I'm thinking you are the one with your head in the sand. That way, your rear end will be up higher so you can talk.

Last edited:
What good are those 3 letter agencies for? Keep being humiliated by adversary now they reserve to only spy on their own citizens.

Seppo politics really is just the supporters of the two wings of their single-party regime screaming that the other wing is pro-China and pro-Russia, while they both cover for and protect the triple-letter agencies, their crooked militarized police, their genocidal army, the destruction of countries and democracies across the world through the funding of anti-people think tanks, terrorists, fascist groups, etc...

Laughable.

"US, allies and partners have come together to expose China's malicious cyber activities"

Who are they exposing China to? Me? Sorry, I can't do anything about it even if I wanted to.

Honestly, everyone that matters. Or listens.
Then listen:
China rented Hong Kong to Brits, lease was for a 100 years. Lease has expired. Now we get to "but I don't like what China is doing in Hong Kong" and "but it's their internal affair"
Taiwan is as Chinese as Hawaii is American. Internal affairs. You don't like it? Sure, voice your opinion and concerns. DON'T push for WAR, you are going to go to that war to die (draft). Be careful what you wish for, it might just come true.

Back