Bill Gates reveals which phone is his new daily driver

midian182

Staff member
In a nutshell: Bill Gates has an impressive CV: co-founder and, at various times, chairman, chief executive officer, president, and chief software architect of Microsoft; the sixth wealthiest person in the world; author; and renowned philanthropist. But what people really want to know is which phone he uses as his daily driver. That question has now been answered, and it seems Gates is a fan of foldables, though not ones from his former company.

Gates revealed his love for the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3 in a Reddit AMA last year, saying that it was both a great portable PC and phone. If you're wondering why he didn't opt for a Microsoft Surface Duo 2, it's probably because it isn't very good and not a proper foldable as the device uses two separate panels connected by a hinge.

Gates took part in another Reddit AMA yesterday, where he was asked if he's using a new phone as a regular daily driver. He is: a Galaxy Z Fold 4. With a personal fortune of $111 billion, the phone's near $2,000 price tag is unlikely to be a concern for Gates, but it sounds as if he never even paid for the handset as Samsung Chairman JY Lee gave it to him when they met in South Korea.

The billionaire confirmed he's still a fan of Microsoft products by mentioning that he uses Outlook and other software from the Redmond firm on his Z Fold 4. Gates also highlighted the enormous unfolded screen size as a reason not to use a tablet, just the phone and his "portable" Windows PC.

Another part of the question asked if Gates could confirm rumors that the next Microsoft Duo would ditch the dual screens and go for a Fold-style foldable screen. But while Microsoft does involve its former boss in some research and product plans, he is not up to date on its hardware roadmap.

Like Gates, we love pretty much everything about the Galaxy Z Fold 4, one of the few exceptions being its price, awarding it a score of 85 in our review.

Permalink to story.

I would like one but the price is ridiculous.

I was lucky enough to get one before Christmas. They had some really good deals on them. I got mine through ATT at $800 off when I traded in my Note20 Ultra 5G. After that Samsung started running some really good deals on their site for them.

One of the richest man in the world and he gets a free phone as a gift.

Second, I wonder if he got a different version that is like the Pixels, bloat-free?
That's capitalism for ya. Those who need things the most get the least and those who need things the least get the most. Bill Gates is part of a tiny group of people that I call "Modern-day Aristocrats".

They get free stuff because there are a lot of fools who worship wealthy people instead of being suspicious of them like they should be. When those fools read an article like this one, it's free advertising for Samsung because these people think that having the same phone as Bill Gates will make them more like a rich person.

It's stupid, but people are stupid.

Last edited:
I played with one in the showroom, it's a nice phone but the price kills it for me. LOL

That's capitalism for ya. Those who need things the most get the least and those who need things the least get the most. Bill Gates is part of a tiny group of people that I call "Modern-day Aristocrats".

They get free stuff because there are a lot of fools who worship wealthy people instead of being suspicious of them like they should be. When those fools read an article like this one, it's free advertising for Samsung because these people think that having the same phone as Bill Gates will make them more like a rich person.

I'd say that its more that people have bought into the fantasy that its the possessions you have that makes you what you are.

ok you want communism .. got it

One can hope that sooner or later, the press will catch on to the fact that in many, if not most instances, what they think makes Gates newsworthy is, in fact, irrelevant drivel rather than newsworthiness.
All they care about is getting readers so that their advertisers will pay them more. They otherwise do not care about the actual importance of an article. This is why I don't pay attention to corporate "news" outlets. I thank my lucky stars that I have CBC News here.
I'd say that its more that people have bought into the fantasy that its the possessions you have that makes you what you are.
Well, that sounds like consumerism to a "T", something that only really becomes rampant under Neo-Liberal capitalism. In a way it's true though. If I see that someone has nice things that are priced just before the sharp diminishing returns curve, I'll respect them and think that they have a good head on their shoulders.

OTOH, If I see that someone has all these fancy gadgets that they were more than willing to pay too much for, I'll be under the assumption that the person is most likely a fool. Stupid people always whine about getting "the very best", like someone who buys an RTX 4090 but only has a 1080p monitor. Smart people are always thinking about what's "good enough" for their purposes without bankrupting themselves. :laughing:

When they fall to £500 Iam grabbing one. Possibly the biggest development in phones for the last 10 years.

Foldable phone running the ARM supported version of Windows? Basically Microsoft would just need to code a dialer app for phone calls, since everything else is ready software wise. I don't know how the battery life would be, but definitely Microsoft could get back into the mobile phone market this way. I just think it would be cool to run some Windows apps on such a device. Of course the OS would need to be customized for typing on virtual keyboard and the UI be fitted otherwise, but the question is could Windows 11 really be a commendable OS for a foldable phone if tweaked?

Back