Bill Gates withdraws from Microsoft board to become a full-time philanthropist

mongeese

Staff
Bottom line: After more than four decades of wielding executive power at a company he created to change the world, Bill Gates is stepping back. And Microsoft won’t be the same without him.

In a statement, Bill Gates says it's his wish to focus on philanthropic priorities “including global health and development, education, and my increasing engagement in tackling climate change.” This will likely manifest as an uptick of activity from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, which spends several billion dollars of Gates’ fortune each year.

Forty-four years ago to the day, Bill Gates co-founded Microsoft with Paul Allen. He served as CEO until 2000, and then as a full-time executive until 2008. In 2014 he stepped down from the role of executive chairman. Until today his official role was as technical advisor and general board member, and though he is retiring from the latter, he will continue as the former at the request of current Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella.

“It’s been a tremendous honor and privilege to have worked with and learned from Bill over the years. Bill founded our company with a belief in the democratizing force of software and a passion to solve society’s most pressing challenges. And Microsoft and the world are better for it,” Nadella said. “…I am grateful for Bill’s friendship and look forward to continuing to work alongside him to realize our mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more.”

Gates expressed a similar cheerfulness about Microsoft’s future, saying that he felt “more optimistic than ever about the progress the company is making and how it can continue to benefit the world.”

Permalink to story.

Won't be the same? From what I observed over those 40 years Microsoft now has the opportunity to get a LOT better .....

Bet if something doesn't go to suit him, he makes one call & sets them straight.
IF he keeps his hands out, maybe MS can FIXsome of the crap they have that doesn't work.

How dumb are these comments? The guy's dedicating his life and fortune to help the poor and the less fortunate, what the f$%k is wrong with you people???
I OTOH, would like to say Thank you Mr Gates, you indeed help humanity. I wish I have the power to show the *****s out there how our world would've been like had Microsoft not existed!

How dumb are these comments? The guy's dedicating his life and fortune to help the poor and the less fortunate, what the f$%k is wrong with you people???
I OTOH, would like to say Thank you Mr Gates, you indeed help humanity. I wish I have the power to show the *****s out there how our world would've been like had Microsoft not existed!

Why would you think there would not be any Russian trolls on TechSpot?

You obviously never bothered to do your research about Gates during the first 30 years of his career!!!!

Basement posters mate, they get to a certain age and their tiny brains get little too loud.

Yeah, he is dedicating the money he earned by tax evasion.

What a saint.

My income is taxed cumulatively by 60%, probably more, if I account for all the direct and indirect taxes.

This guy hoarded his money by evading taxes in tax heavens or by paying none because of lobbying.

So, give me his level of taxes, my income will double and you know, I am kinda ok with giving away a significant portion of money to the poor.

If Gates wants to be a philanthropist, he should start becoming one by PAYING TAXES.

What a saint.

My income is taxed cumulatively by 60%, probably more, if I account for all the direct and indirect taxes.

This guy hoarded his money by evading taxes in tax heavens or by paying none because of lobbying.

So, give me his level of taxes, my income will double and you know, I am kinda ok with giving away a significant portion of money to the poor.

If Gates wants to be a philanthropist, he should start becoming one by PAYING TAXES.

Where do you live that you have a 60% income tax?

Phi-lan-thro-py:
the desire to promote the welfare of others

by putting backdoors in the O.S. you created?
by stealing personal data of every user and selling it?
by destroying the National Security of every nation on the Planet?
by making users pay for their own enslavement?
by hiding vulnerabilities and stolen source-code in a closed source system to maintain a Monopoly?
by using extortion and blackmail in your (ahem) licensing "agreements" ?
by profiting from the misery of others?

Philanthropy is not the word I would use
I don't think it means what you choose to believe it means

He doesn't live in the US since he says he has to pay a VAT tax. He probably lives in Europe? That would explain why he says his taxes are so high.

However, Bill Gates has most of his wealth in unrealized capital gains (aka theoretical value based on his ownership of his company). The higher taxes are on personal income, and capital gains taxes around the world (US and Europe), are almost always lower than personal income taxes.

Oh Good, free vaccines for everybody. Now the government won't have to steal 8.5 billion from the taxpayers in the name of 'our own good'. Oh wait? They already did. Bill your just a few days too late. Hey Bill, can I get a free Windows 10 license (MSRP $99.00) instead of the free shot? It's just about preferences you know. You take the shot Bill, I'll take the Windows license.

What a saint.

You're acting like MS did something that other major corps didn't. And I guess Robin Hood - fairy tale or not, was just another criminal.
I'm sure you feel the same about other IT Billionaires, right?

Oh Good, free vaccines for everybody. Now the government won't have to steal 8.5 billion from the taxpayers in the name of 'our own good'. Oh wait? They already did. Bill your just a few days too late. Hey Bill, can I get a free Windows 10 license (MSRP $99.00) instead of the free shot? It's just about preferences you know. You take the shot Bill, I'll take the Windows license.
Did you know that Bill Gates stopped being CEO of Microsoft 20 years ago?

Also, did you not take advantage of the free upgrade from W7 or W8?

Did you know that Bill Gates stopped being CEO of Microsoft 20 years ago?

Also, did you not take advantage of the free upgrade from W7 or W8?

Okay, but stop and think for a moment. Are you seriously trying to convince me that he doesn't have the clout to get me a free license? Please!!!

Bill but must speak the words and it will be so!

Well for one, no Bill Gates has not and is not dedicating his life and fortune to help the poor and the less fortunate.

Bill Gates philanthropic efforts are what bored billionaires do. It must be nice to make zero personal sacrifice yourself and act as if you are saving the world. Modern American philanthropy is like trophy hunting for billionaires to brag about how many peasants they helped, all the while the wealth gap has been increasing.

Well for one, no Bill Gates has not and is not dedicating his life and fortune to help the poor and the less fortunate.

Our wonderful skeptical internet, where no one does what they say.

"In a statement, Bill Gates says it's his wish to focus on philanthropic priorities “including global health...."​

Bill Gates philanthropic efforts are what bored billionaires do. It must be nice to make zero personal sacrifice yourself and act as if you are saving the world. Modern American philanthropy is like trophy hunting for billionaires to brag about how many peasants they helped, all the while the wealth gap has been increasing.

Please advise what the Gatester should be doing with his billions and time?

What a saint.

I'm pretty sure that both Microsoft and Apple used tax avoidance (legal), not tax evasion (illegal).

income tax, pension/social security/health insurance/ VAT tax, mineral oil tax, property tax etc..

Do the math how much actually you pay in taxes, it is not just the income tax. You are missing the big picture no one is talking about.

"mineral oil tax"? Excuse me for asking, but what exactly are you doing with all that mineral oil?

Back