Biomutant console comparison reveals no native 4K on PS5 due to technical reasons

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Biomutant is one of those games that we’ve been anticipating for a long time. For those looking forward to playing the game on the PS5, there’s a bit of unwelcome news: it won’t support native 4K resolutions on Sony’s console.

Publisher THQ Nordic has been showing off footage of its open-world action RPG on PC and consoles recently. On the Xbox Series X, it runs at dynamic 4K and 60fps, while the less-powerful Xbox Series S outputs a still visually impressive dynamic 1440p@60fps. On the PS5, however, Biomutant runs at 1080p@60fps upscaled to 4K.

It’s worth remembering that there are no PS5/Xbox Series X/S-specific versions of Biomutant launching on May 25; the PS4/Xbox One versions are backward compatible with the new consoles. When asked why native 4K has been disabled on Sony’s machine, THQ Nordic said it had been deactivated “due to technical reasons.”

The PS5 footage (above) begins with the following disclaimer: “The footage you are about to see has been captured on a retail PS5. With this build, the option for native 4k on PlayStation has been deactivated due to stability- and performance-related reasons. What you see here is 1080p @60fps upscaled to 4k @60fps. It will remain deactivated for the release version, too. It will not be a native current-gen experience. More information on that will follow soon.”

The publisher did say that PS5 and Xbox Series X/S versions of Biomutant are in the works, so these will presumably offer a more next-gen experience. However, the company added that it has yet to decide if these will be offered as free upgrades to owners.

Biomutant launches on May 25 for the PC, PS4, and Xbox One.

Permalink to story.

Yet TV brands want to sell us 8K already. You night as well get 4K right first. I want 1440p gone.

Not so much that the PS5 isnt capable of 1440p but rather, after a google search, it appears that sony simply doesnt support 1440p out for whatever bizzare reason.
Yet TV brands want to sell us 8K already. You night as well get 4K right first. I want 1440p gone.
Why? 1440p is a fantastic resolution for gaming, considerign that even the top end of this generation's overpriced GPUs cannot do 4k60 consistently, and thenext gen will likely increase demand further still. 1440p monitors also allow older software to run at 720p with native upscaling without too much issue, many older progrms panic if you have a 4k resolution monitor plugged in.

And if you like high refresh rate gaming, 4k is right out while 1440p144 is feasable.

Has more testing been done on the consoles? I remember from the pre-release stuff that the cooling system of the PS5 seemed pretty weak when comparing to the Series X which could possibly lead to the Series X baaaarely being able to handle 4k at an acceptable level but not the PS5.

But yeah I haven't forgotten most of the console "enthusiasts" claiming how ahead the new consoles where, how they believed Sony and Epic about the fastest ssd ever made, all of the same spectacularly full-of-crap claims all consoles launch when it's been now 2 generations and several SKUs for us to know it's just AMD stuff except on a single die instead of the separate CPU and GPU on the PC side.

All the "optimization" claims end up being just the devs tweaking the ini settings and a few more tricks before release, not all that different than what PC gamers already do anyways.

The issue is, this is ps4 game, and ps5 using bc to run it. Native ps5 version should be released later this year. Xsx have better bc options, so that's the main difference.

Has more testing been done on the consoles? I remember from the pre-release stuff that the cooling system of the PS5 seemed pretty weak when comparing to the Series X which could possibly lead to the Series X baaaarely being able to handle 4k at an acceptable level but not the PS5.

But yeah I haven't forgotten most of the console "enthusiasts" claiming how ahead the new consoles where, how they believed Sony and Epic about the fastest ssd ever made, all of the same spectacularly full-of-crap claims all consoles launch when it's been now 2 generations and several SKUs for us to know it's just AMD stuff except on a single die instead of the separate CPU and GPU on the PC side.

All the "optimization" claims end up being just the devs tweaking the ini settings and a few more tricks before release, not all that different than what PC gamers already do anyways.

Anyone who didn't know the Xbox series x would start to show it'd superiority over ps5 in almost all cases was drinking the kool-aid hard. Sony really wanted you to THINK the SSD was way more important than it is and in reality they over spent on the wrong part.

The issue is, this is ps4 game, and ps5 using bc to run it. Native ps5 version should be released later this year. Xsx have better bc options, so that's the main difference.

The Xbox is just a better designed console it's a much more balanced approached that doesn't leave you with paperweight if your storage fails and is already able to offer many features the ps5 may get "someday".

The difference in power to many seemed meaningless and so many wanted to believe the hype that ssd "would make up for it" but in reality the Xbox is JUST barely able to squeak by with settings that many times the ps5 isn't able to mirror and adjustments need to be made (with limited time and effort leading to them just being capped even more below where they made need to be).

The Xbox is just a better designed console it's a much more balanced approached that doesn't leave you with paperweight if your storage fails and is already able to offer many features the ps5 may get "someday".

The difference in power to many seemed meaningless and so many wanted to believe the hype that ssd "would make up for it" but in reality the Xbox is JUST barely able to squeak by with settings that many times the ps5 isn't able to mirror and adjustments need to be made (with limited time and effort leading to them just being capped even more below where they made need to be).
Actually, xsx is a deadweight for any bc titles if there is no internet connection, and ps5 in general plays most of the next gen titles better. So no worries, both systems are pretty similar, just ps have more highly praised games.

Not so much that the PS5 isnt capable of 1440p but rather, after a google search, it appears that sony simply doesnt support 1440p out for whatever bizzare reason.

Why? 1440p is a fantastic resolution for gaming, considerign that even the top end of this generation's overpriced GPUs cannot do 4k60 consistently, and thenext gen will likely increase demand further still. 1440p monitors also allow older software to run at 720p with native upscaling without too much issue, many older progrms panic if you have a 4k resolution monitor plugged in.

And if you like high refresh rate gaming, 4k is right out while 1440p144 is feasable.
In my opinion,1440p is a great resolution for gaming if you are gaming on a monitor that is no bigger than 32 inches. When you are looking at a TV, they typically are 40 inches onwards. Thus, 1440p won't cut it unless you want to be able to count the pixels with a 50 inch or larger monitor. If one is gaming on a monitor, then I totally agree that 1440p is the sweet spot, and 4K is a waste of money.

Actually, xsx is a deadweight for any bc titles if there is no internet connection, and ps5 in general plays most of the next gen titles better. So no worries, both systems are pretty similar, just ps have more highly praised games.
All new and last gen consoles need to have some sorts of active internet connection to function properly if I am not mistaken. If you are using a game disk, I think you can get away without an active internet connection, depending on the game's requirement. PS5 stands out from the likes of XBSX because historically, Sony always have the upper hand when it comes to exclusive game titles that are also great games. Which is also the reason why I will choose PS over an Xbox.

Performance wise, I think XBSX actually have the upper hand by means of brute force because the GPU is hands down more powerful. In most new game titles, the dynamic resolution tend to stay higher on the XBSX which unfortunately may impact FPS. Thus, we see both consoles trading blows in terms of performance. Assuming dynamic resolution is taken out of the equation, I think it will make the comparison easier.

Actually, you don't have to look too far to figure the actual performance between the Xbox Series X and PS5. The closest and most relevant GPU we can kind of figure their performance will be the RX 6800 vs the 6700 XT. Its not a like for like comparison because the GPU is customised in both cases. But just looking at the number of CUs, the 6800 is somewhat 4K worthy, while the 6700 XT is clearly targeted at 1440p. Since the XBSX's RDNA GPU has 52 CUs, and PS5 with 36 CUs, its clear that PS5 is really not cut out of 4K gaming to begin with.

A fast SSD I feel is good if it minimises load times, which can make a game more immersive. It will certainly not contribute to better looking image nor smoother FPS.

I feel Sony did not want to splurge that much to develop their consoles. Certainly not as much as Microsoft who is willing to accept steeper lost per console sold. This pattern is the same with Xbox One X where the hardware is certainly a notch better than the PS4 Pro, though performance on the GPU is severely hampered by the ancient AMD Jaguar cores.

Actually, you don't have to look too far to figure the actual performance between the Xbox Series X and PS5. The closest and most relevant GPU we can kind of figure their performance will be the RX 6800 vs the 6700 XT. Its not a like for like comparison because the GPU is customised in both cases. But just looking at the number of CUs, the 6800 is somewhat 4K worthy, while the 6700 XT is clearly targeted at 1440p. Since the XBSX's RDNA GPU has 52 CUs, and PS5 with 36 CUs, its clear that PS5 is really not cut out of 4K gaming to begin with.

A fast SSD I feel is good if it minimises load times, which can make a game more immersive. It will certainly not contribute to better looking image nor smoother FPS.

I feel Sony did not want to splurge that much to develop their consoles. Certainly not as much as Microsoft who is willing to accept steeper lost per console sold. This pattern is the same with Xbox One X where the hardware is certainly a notch better than the PS4 Pro, though performance on the GPU is severely hampered by the ancient AMD Jaguar cores.
Nice example because it's also probably indicative of why AMD is now hurrying up to release Fidelity FX Super Resolution: With it the 6700xt could do some moderate-looking 4k. Actually pretty good looking if they get the best case scenario like DLSS 2.0 and Control in which yes the 1080p DLSS renders upscaled to 4k can actually have *more* detail than native 4k on some areas but less in others with artifacting and such.

But well this is probably going to be just one or two games and my guess is that it will be a Sony property since they stand to gain a lot from the PS5 suddenly at least matching the Series X with this trick, but just as with DLSS 2.0 the later and more hastily done implementations probably will have a pretty severe visual fidelity penalty when uspcaling to 4k.

4K gaming is still in infancy. Even the mighty PC with a "mighty" 3090 or 6900 crawls with some games.

For example, the PC still can't attain 60fps @ 4K in MS Flight Simulator. You can come bragging to me when a PC can play ALL games at 4K at MAX or Ultra settings with MINIMUM 1% above 60fps.

4K gaming is still in infancy. Even the mighty PC with a "mighty" 3090 or 6900 crawls with some games.

For example, the PC still can't attain 60fps @ 4K in MS Flight Simulator. You can come bragging to me when a PC can play ALL games at 4K at MAX or Ultra settings with MINIMUM 1% above 60fps.
If you ask me, MS Flight Simulator is an outlier and poor performance attributed to poor optimization. The game itself is very CPU intensive, but yet unable to utilize multicores properly. Almost all games can run 4K comfortably with a RTX 3080 or RX 6800 XT. That is until you enable RT in games where performance will plummet.

Too bad there are no 1440p TVs, they might actually offer that resolution. 1080p or 4K is a bit stupid.
It doesn't matter whether its a 4K TV or not. The reality is that all console games that claims 4K support are basically running some sorts of adaptive resolution (unless the game is not graphically intensive to begin with). What this means is that the game is not running native 4K all the time in order to maintain a target framerate. Even if you have a 1440p display, its likely you will be locked to 60 FPS for modern and graphically intensive titles.

If you ask me, MS Flight Simulator is an outlier and poor performance attributed to poor optimization. The game itself is very CPU intensive, but yet unable to utilize multicores properly. Almost all games can run 4K comfortably with a RTX 3080 or RX 6800 XT. That is until you enable RT in games where performance will plummet.
It would be a shame to pay obscene amount of money for a 3090, yet get dragged behind by Nvidia's very own "RTX" tech.

Unfortunately the 3090 can't even claim supremacy at all settings set to max in ALL games. One would have expected nothing less for it's asking price.

But that doesn't stop some a-holes bragging they got 2 or more of 'em. Which can be entirely false and can be regarded as some teen's wet dream to brag online without any proof.

Back