BioNTech to start UK cancer vaccine trials using same mRNA tech found in its Covid-19...

Status
Not open for further replies.

midian182

Staff member
In a nutshell: Starting this September in England, BioNTech, the German company that developed one of the most widely used Covid-19 vaccines alongside Pfizer, will begin clinical trials of personalized cancer vaccines based on the same mRNA technology found in its Covid shots.

Following the Covid-19 vaccine rollouts, BioNTech wants to use the same messenger-ribonucleic-acid technology (mRNA) tech in other therapies, including cancer vaccines. The treatments, tailor-made for an individual, provide immune systems with genetic code from a specific cancer so only the tumor can be targeted. An improvement over chemotherapy, which attacks many cells, including healthy ones. Essentially, the mRNA vaccines will contain a genetic blueprint to stimulate the immune system to attack cancer cells only.

BioNTech's partnership with the UK government could see the treatments provided to around 10,000 UK patients by 2030.

"Once cancer is detected, we need to ensure the best possible treatments are available as soon as possible, including for breast, lung, and pancreatic cancer," said UK health secretary Steve Barclay.

"BioNTech helped lead the world on a Covid-19 vaccine, and they share our commitment to scientific advancement, innovation, and cutting-edge scientific technology, making them perfect partners for a deal to work together on cancer vaccines."

Some of the patients in the trial will have cancer that has already been treated—it's hoped the vaccine will stop it from returning. The trial will also involve those with advanced cancers that the treatment could shrink. Several doses of the vaccine might be required in both cases.

BioNTech co-founder and CEO Ugur Sahin said the agreement came about through the lessons learned during the pandemic about how the UK's publicly funded National Health Service (NHS) worked with academia, the regulator, and the private sector to roll out the vaccines so quickly. "And then there is the genomic-analysis capabilities. The UK is one of the leading nations in that regard," Sahin said.

BioNTech's investment will also include setting up a new research and development hub and offices in the UK.

mRNA is expensive to produce—it's predicted that the market could be worth $23 billion by 2035—though BioNTech says its cancer vaccines will be affordable for healthcare systems. Details of the UK deal haven't been revealed, but for the heavily stretched NHS, which is currently in the middle of a massive nursing strike over a pay offer, the effectiveness of the cancer vaccines would have to make their price justifiable.

Permalink to story.

This is amazing. Fingers crossed it has the results that they're looking for.

My wife recently had a melanoma, luckily it was caught early - but it easily could have been much more serious. One day hopefully we'll have better treatment that means it isn't so scary.

It's the vaccine. It won't cure cancer.
Reeding iz hRd.

"The treatments, tailor-made for an individual, provide immune systems with genetic code from a specific cancer so only the tumor can be targeted. An improvement over chemotherapy, which attacks many cells, including healthy ones. Essentially, the mRNA vaccines will contain a genetic blueprint to stimulate the immune system to attack cancer cells only."

When used it will trigger the bodies immune system to attack cancer cells and train them to see them as hostile, circumventing the clocked nature of cancer where it can avoid triggering the immune system.

I was wondering how long it would take them to use mRNA technology for immunotherapy as was originally intended (AFAIK). It was almost exactly 9½ years ago when I first heard about it. I remember because it was exciting as hell:
New therapies show signs of turning immune system into cancer-fighting weapon - CTV News June 2, 2013
Then a year later they followed up on the story:
Experimental skin cancer therapy boosts survival rates, early studies show - CTV News June 8, 2014
Here's the actual CTV News TV clip:

If they're already starting human trials with the mRNA vaccine, we could see cancer eradicated within fifteen years from now!

It's things like this that make technology truly exciting. Sure, video games are fun and all but it's things like this that are most important and that's why I love progress! :D😁

Last edited:
Wasn't this the plot of I am legend? Lol

Fingers crossed this ends up being a success as Chemo therapy is horrible for people to go through and so dated as a treatment for the disease.
It's not a new thing. I first heard about it almost ten years ago. Look at my post for the information.
This is amazing. Fingers crossed it has the results that they're looking for.

My wife recently had a melanoma, luckily it was caught early - but it easily could have been much more serious. One day hopefully we'll have better treatment that means it isn't so scary.
One day, cancer vaccines will be administered to children along with measles and polio. One day, there will be no cancer (except for anti-vaxxers).
It's the vaccine. It won't cure cancer.
Yes, it actually does. If you already have cancer, it cures you.
Why do we even need the trials? I thought we already established that mRNA is 100% safe and well tested.
You're 100% correct, we did establish that. These trials are for efficacy, not safety. They just want to see how well it works in practice and fine-tune it. Like, does it need boosters and if so, how often? Do higher vaccine doses make a difference? etc.

We already know that vaccines can be effective against cancer. That was proven almost ten years ago. It's called "immunotherapy" and it has been one of the biggest driving factors in the development of mRNA vaccines. This is because mRNA vaccines are modular templates. Instead of having to make a new vaccine from scratch like we've had to in the past, you can just "plug-in" the correct protein coat to make your immune system respond to it. That way, vaccines can be produced much faster and for a lot less money because they don't have to do safety tests each time.

People think that the mRNA vaccine was developed to combat COVID but it wasn't. It was developed for cancer immunotherapy because with so many different forms of cancer, the vaccine had to be modular so that they could switch cancer types quickly and easily.

They're not modifying the COVID vaccine to treat cancer, they modified the cancer vaccine to treat COVID. That's why they were able to release it so quickly. They had already been working on it for close to a decade. If anything, COVID proved to be a massive boon because it has proven without a shadow of a doubt that the mRNA vaccine is safe to use. This has greatly accelerated the time frame for the original raison-d'etre of mRNA, eradicating cancer.

We're watching history unfold before our eyes and it's the most exciting thing imaginable! I can't remember the last time that something has made me this excited! This will extend the lives of so many by so much and I thank my lucky stars that I'm alive to see it! :D

Where are all the MAGA's on here to tell us that mRNA is going to magically alter our DNA? (which it can't)
What makes you think that someone needs to be an American, Republican voter for them to question big pharma and their greed? People all around the world continue to discover just how much of a failure the mRNA was (and still is) to prevent covid. Not to mention, heart damage continues to be proven as a significant side effect, and the overall magnitude is still unknown. Only time will tell. I'm just not (ever) gonna get it, hahaha.

What makes you think that someone needs to be an American, Republican voter for them to question big pharma and their greed? People all around the world continue to discover just how much of a failure the mRNA was (and still is) to prevent covid. Not to mention, heart damage continues to be proven as a significant side effect, and the overall magnitude is still unknown. Only time will tell. I'm just not (ever) gonna get it, hahaha.

You're absolutely right. Stupidity doesn't have a monopoly only on Americans.

The world is full of anti-science stupid people.

I did not accuse Republicans. I said MAGA. They are very different things. I have plenty of Republican/Conservative friends. I don't have any MAGA friends, nor do I want any.

Funny, I must be Superman then because I've had five COVID vaccinations with absolutely no issues whatsoever. The first I got was the "dreaded" AstraZeneca vaccine with no problems. Then I got three consecutive Pfizer mRNA vaccines and most recently I got the Moderna mRNA vaccine. I was never afraid and the only "side effect" that I've experienced is that I don't know what COVID-19 feels like. Strangely though, I can't fly and don't have a huge "S" on my chest either. Go figure, eh?

By all means, you do you, but don't try and tell us that these vaccines are dangerous because, amazingly, all of the BS stories of "blood clotting" and whatever else stopped mere months after the vaccines were introduced. This is despite the fact that people continue to get them on a fairly regular basis. That means the BS stories were exactly what most of us thought they were all along, BS.

You're absolutely right. Stupidity doesn't have a monopoly only on Americans.

The world is full of anti-science stupid people.
You do know that pharmaceutical companies are the most criminal convicted and fined corporations in history right?
You know for things like lying about side effects, falsifying trials, bribing officials ect...
Why on earth people trust these corporations like they are some local Dr down the street is just ignorant of the facts.

People all around the world continue to discover just how much of a failure the mRNA was (and still is) to prevent covid. Not to mention, heart damage continues to be proven as a significant side effect, and the overall magnitude is still unknown. Only time will tell. I'm just not (ever) gonna get it, hahaha.

"The mRNA shots by Pfizer and Moderna are associated with a very small risk of heart inflammation, called myocarditis, which can lead to cardiac arrest. This risk is most pronounced in teenage boys receiving a second dose of the vaccine, but even in that scenario only about one in 10,000 recipients is affected. Myocarditis is a potentially fatal condition, but the version that occurs after vaccination is much less deadly than the heart inflammation induced by many viruses, including SARS-CoV-2. A recent analysis identified only a single death in 104 cases of vaccine-induced myocarditis. In comparison, for every 100 people who get myocarditis from a virus, about 11 will die."

https://archive.ph/lztnf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back