Bios Question - I'm gonna need an expert

VerbalEmissions

Okay so I will do my best here because I am not stupid with computers nor am I great with them. I read I can up my video ram in bios which I would like to do. From what I can tell it uses my current ram which is 8gb. When I go into Bios I do not have the option I read about to perform such a task.

I looked into it and there is an upgrade of my bios. I have a dell precision t3400 workstation with bios A08. I downloaded the proper update which is A14 direct from dell but before I go through with it I wanna know if itll make a difference at all. Why risk it for no benefits right?

Basically I wanna up my Video ram as much as possible without buying anything new. any info or pics you would like ask away and I will provide. Here is what I have so far that you may need. If I can't up it then that is fine but I am a guy who likes to learn and to get the most out of what I have.

Pic 1.jpg

Pic 2.jpg

Pic 3.jpg

So any suggestions for how to up my graphics would be great.

There's nothing wrong with making stuff last. Your PC is more recent than any of mine but rather than fiddling around with settings in the BIOS look into upgrading the graphics card. It won't cost much, is easy to do and it will make a big difference to the graphics.

Dedicated video ram (vram) is a function of the card you are using, you cannot simply change the bios to use more than the card has on it. You can upgrade to a card with more vram on it though.
The newer bios might allow you to access more vram on a newer card than what the current bios allows, but you still need a card with more vram.
In my opinion, you should always use the latest bios version available. It can make the system more stable and more efficient and use the resources available more effectively.

Okay, I upgraded the bios which was stressful haha. Only took like 2 mins but the decission based on what you read out there made it hard. I will look into uping my graphics card. What would be suggested for video ram? I am not looking for a gaming pc but something that can handle any operation or program without much effort. Things like photoshop and other adobe programs. I am a hobbyist and really like all forms of design be it drawing, 3d, video etc...

Okay, I upgraded the bios which was stressful haha. Only took like 2 mins but the decission based on what you read out there made it hard. I will look into uping my graphics card. What would be suggested for video ram? I am not looking for a gaming pc but something that can handle any operation or program without much effort. Things like photoshop and other adobe programs. I am a hobbyist and really like all forms of design be it drawing, 3d, video etc...
For editing photos and videos and for rendering 3d programs like 3DS max, you need a lot of ram, not great graphics.
The things that will affect you the most are the CPU (number of cores and speed per core) and the amount, speed and type of ram. Quad channel fast ram and lots of it. Quantity will be a bigger impact than the other factors. So, for example, 64 gigs of 1600 ram will be faster than 4 gigs of 2133 ram for rendering and editing.
Once the video is done, and you want to play it then the graphics card will make a difference.

For editing photos and videos and for rendering 3d programs like 3DS max, you need a lot of ram, not great graphics.
The things that will affect you the most are the CPU (number of cores and speed per core) and the amount, speed and type of ram. Quad channel fast ram and lots of it. Quantity will be a bigger impact than the other factors. So, for example, 64 gigs of 1600 ram will be faster than 4 gigs of 2133 ram for rendering and editing.
Once the video is done, and you want to play it then the graphics card will make a difference.

so if I have an index score of 7.2 for both ram and processor and 5.3 for 3d graphics I should bo okay then without any updates? Like I run photoshop pretty good. I just wanna optimize my computer for performace.

No, for my editing rig, I have 128 gb of ram and would like more. I have a 6 core CPU at 3.8 ghz and would like an octocore.
The index score is a windows experience score, not a worthiness for editing and rendering score. It means you will have a decent experience using Windows.
If you are only doing small changes to small photo files you are fine, if you want to be able to work on larger files faster, you will need to upgrade. If you want to edit video in a reasonable time frame, you need to upgrade and if you want to do renderings of 3D environments and animations using ray tracer, you need to upgrade.

If you are happy with the results you get now, you do not need to upgrade anything.

No, for my editing rig, I have 128 gb of ram and would like more. I have a 6 core CPU at 3.8 ghz and would like an octocore.
The index score is a windows experience score, not a worthiness for editing and rendering score. It means you will have a decent experience using Windows.
If you are only doing small changes to small photo files you are fine, if you want to be able to work on larger files faster, you will need to upgrade. If you want to edit video in a reasonable time frame, you need to upgrade and if you want to do renderings of 3D environments and animations using ray tracer, you need to upgrade.

If you are happy with the results you get now, you do not need to upgrade anything.
lol sounds like im gonna have to just buy some stuff. did not realize it took so much.

The greatest guideline ever is "If it aint broke, don't fixit". We all want the latest, greatest and fasted machine on the face of the earth, but that only comes for price $$$$$$$ and next year there's a better one available for more $$$$$.

Pragmatism will save you lots of cash, anxiety and non-productive time.

Photoshop can be a real pig when attempting to render large poster-size images or working on video for Dream Works (btw: they use special SGI os). If your performance is reasonable, smile. My laptop Experience index is in the 5.x range - - it WILL get the job done, I just have to be patient.

The greatest guideline ever is "If it aint broke, don't fixit". We all want the latest, greatest and fasted machine on the face of the earth, but that only comes for price $$$$$$$ and next year there's a better one available for more $$$$$.

Pragmatism will save you lots of cash, anxiety and non-productive time.

Photoshop can be a real pig when attempting to render large poster-size images or working on video for Dream Works (btw: they use special SGI os). If your performance is reasonable, smile. My laptop Experience index is in the 5.x range - - it WILL get the job done, I just have to be patient.
Lol patience my eye, I wanna kill something'.

With that setup you need more than patience, you need time, and time can never be replaced, money can.

We each have our personal priorities; computer performance per se is not #1 for me.

We each have our personal priorities; computer performance per se is not #1 for me.
I agree completely on that, my main priority is my family and spending as much time with them as I can and if that means spending less time on the computer, then that's what I want to be able to do, but I still have to make music and movies and game assets and graphic designs. So anything I can do to that end is a good investment to me and my family.
Cheers

As a hobbiest I make due and only spend when I can afford it. Ive decided to spend 120 bucks to up the video ram a bit. Every photoshop thread I see recomends a minimum of 512 mb of vram and I have 256. to get 512 would cost me like 50 -70 so may as well throw in an extra 50 and get 2gb ddr 3. I am a single mad so it won't kill me. Also I don't need an ssd but they are way better I read so again for 150 later down the road to get a small 250 gb drive won't kill me. I def do not need more then that as a hard drive. I got a back up hdd installed which runs my paging file with a tiny bit left on my primary drive as suggested in case of crash. then in a bit I may spend another couple hundred 2 get an ssd hard drive. after that if I want I will up my ram to boot. I am not looking for the best pc on the planet tbh and pride myself on making due with what I have. Plus I love how much your learn by being frugal haha is that that word. I wish I knew how much I loved computers at a younger age because I really enjoy all the building and jargen and working to upgrade. it is fun to me.

I agree completely on that, my main priority is my family and spending as much time with them as I can and if that means spending less time on the computer, then that's what I want to be able to do, but I still have to make music and movies and game assets and graphic designs. So anything I can do to that end is a good investment to me and my family.
Cheers

holy jesus h christ. I bought and installed a new video card ( Radeon R7 240 2gb ddr3 video ram ) and photoshop is like a new program. Its so amazing. I dont think I will need much more then this and an ssd hard drive for shits and giggles.

Back