BioWare insiders confirm they are working on a new Dragon Age game

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member

We reported last summer that BioWare might possibly be working on a new Dragon Age game. Director of the franchise Mike Laidlaw was vague about what they were doing with the property but conceded they were doing "something."

A couple of prominent developers with BioWare issued tweets this morning confirming that report. The first came from Casey Hudson, a principal developer on the Mass Effect trilogy (not Andromeda).

In his tweet, Hudson said the Dragon Age team is working on a story and character-focused game. He did not give away much else other than the fact that the game will be “live.”

We can probably expect a DLC or three with this one.

A few hours later, Dragon Age: Inquisition executive producer Mark Durrah tweeted that the folks at the studio were hard at work on both Anthem and Dragon Age.

Currently, EA is pushing hard to get Anthem released, even going so far as to pull staff from other projects to work on it. Despite the proverbial extra muscle, it does not look like Anthem will make it by this fall as scheduled. The word is that it probably won’t even be completed by the end of the year. Considering that BioWare is solely focused on getting Anthem out the door first, it will probably be quite a while before we see heavy work commence on the next Dragon Age.

EA/BioWare has yet to announce the game through official channels, so as always, take this news with a pinch of salt. Anything can happen between now and the time the team gets freed up to work on it.

Permalink to story.

Who cares, they appointed Casey Hudson as head of Bioware again in 2017. That guy created the biggest trainwreck of an ending in video game history ala ME3. Their next game could set records on pissing off fans of ME or DA games.

Wasn't a fan of Inquisition, but if the game transitions into a proper skill based action RPG, I may jump back in.

Interested, but I'll wait for the six-month release Steam sale after checking reviews and patches.

Wasn't a fan of Inquisition, but if the game transitions into a proper skill based action RPG, I may jump back in.

Couldn't get into the series after Dragon Age II, actually, but Inquisition was definitely the low point for me from a gameplay perspective.

Personally, I wish Bioware's RPGs would go back to being traditional RPGs, similar to KOTOR I & II, and -- to a degree -- DA:O.

The shift to fast-paced, action gameplay sort of made me lose interest, but I know a lot of people love it so it probably won't change anytime soon.

The updated ending in ME:3 was fine - well was for me as I never chose one of the given options, always turned around and shot the kid - no colour changing endings for me :eek:)
Big fan of KOTOR and 2, and Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 - and DA: O plus the expansions (and nexus mods) - but both Andromeda and Inquisition were not as engaging as the previous games. The faux "action" RPG (MMORPGs have a lot to answer for) just makes for a stilted combat system - bring back true turn based combat!

The updated ending in ME:3 was fine - well was for me as I never chose one of the given options, always turned around and shot the kid - no colour changing endings for me :eek:)
Big fan of KOTOR and 2, and Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 - and DA: O plus the expansions (and nexus mods) - but both Andromeda and Inquisition were not as engaging as the previous games. The faux "action" RPG (MMORPGs have a lot to answer for) just makes for a stilted combat system - bring back true turn based combat!

I'm with you! The way they handled turn based combat was especially interesting because it didn't feel quite like turn-based combat. It was behind the scenes, but everything happened smoothly and in real-time - no need to take yourself out of the game with frequent pausing and issuing orders.

Maybe Obsidian will come along and make something like the older titles?

I'm with you! The way they handled turn based combat was especially interesting because it didn't feel quite like turn-based combat. It was behind the scenes, but everything happened smoothly and in real-time - no need to take yourself out of the game with frequent pausing and issuing orders.

Maybe Obsidian will come along and make something like the older titles?

I'll +1 this too. No Loot Boxes, no gather 10 of these and 20 of those quests, no/few hp sponge enemies, not even really bothered about large open-world. A real focus on characters, storytelling and quality tactical combat options.

It's all good that Casey is letting us know about the "live" services. But it's not like the game is releasing any time soon. The earliest I see it it being released is 2022 so speculation about whether or not it has and micro-transaction should not really be an issue. But if he really wants to calm peoples fears he needs to address some of the rumors regarding the future of SWTOR which has been in the news as of late.

Back