Black screen after changing graphic card

Status
Not open for further replies.

jambo1975

I recently had a techno capable friend change my graphic card. I have Tiger Woods 2008 and Call of duty modern warfare. Both games work but after a while (this varies from 5 minutes to 2 hours) my monitor will go to sleep. i can hear the game but dont see anything. sometimes i can get back to the desktop other times i have to reboot my computer.
I have tried to google this issue and have seen alot of similar problems. Varying from power supply PSU to overheating cards. I think it may be one of these 2 issues.
I have downloaded the latest driver. Tried a program called Speedfan (cpu 55o). Tried a program called CCleaner to clean up my register. (these were all suggestions i read on other forums)
None of these have helped...
How can i know for certain what is causing this issue? I have attached my system specs to my profile and hope that this helps.
I am have been trying to fix this for a few days now and posting this is my last resort :-(

FSP Group Inc. AC Input 220-240v DC Output 300w.

update:when getting back to desktop get a ati2dvag error message

Please tell us the exact manufacturer and model of your graphics card. How much memory does it have? What are the power requirements written on the gfx card box? Does your PSU have sufficient amperage on the 12V rail to run your card?

HIS ATI Radeon hd 3650. AGP 512mb ddrz hdmi 1080p.

128 -bit gddr3/ddr2 memory interface.

says i need 300watt or greater power.
needs 1gb of system memory

Does your PSU have sufficient amperage on the 12V rail to run your card?
How do i check this?

yes thats my card. it says +12v2 16.0A(yel\black) +5vsb = 2.5a(purp) 12v = 0.8a(blue)

not sure if thats what u mean? its written on the side of the psu

It seems that your PSU has 2 12V rails each at 16A. (Did you also notice a +12v1?) If so then you have sufficient amperage to run the card.

Things to try:

1. Download the program I linked to and keep it monitoring when playing a game. See how high your GPU temps get. Also check the other system temps.
2. Ensure that you're running the latest drivers for your card. Incase you haven't uninstalled your onboard video drivers then do so.
3. If possible, try a different PSU (400W or greater with about 30A on the 12V rail) and see if you get any further issues.

Nothing else seems to come to mind at the moment. All the best.

i do have a +12v1.

i did download the program you mentioned. gpu core at 35o.

thanks for trying to help. it seems the only solution is to try the PSU solution.

The problem described has to be graphics card related, if it was PSU failure the system would crash or shutdown I would expect. If it keeps on going just without display then its hardware or driver failure related to the graphics card. However seeing as how it is a dual rail PSU maybe the rail your card is hooked up to is failing (This is my biggest problem with multi rail PSUs) or just cant pump out enough power. Try rearranging your power distribution so that your graphics card is alone on a rail, this may be a little hard to do because its sometimes impossible to tell which wires are on which rails. Just switch things around making sure not to forget to plug anything back in. The error your getting seems to be related with lack of power too.
Give that a try then if nothing works my next suggestion is to exchange it, maybe its defective, always a possibility.

this ati2dvag error message seems to be quite a popular little f***er....am now in contact with the guys who sold me it...see if they can help....mind u...there first suggestion was to make sure my fan isnt dusty.....how dare they suggest i have a dirty fan..

hey what bout your display settings in control panel or power settings. In those there is an option to set how long before the monitor goes into standby and if your bios isnt updated you canoot come out of standby sometimes. so maybe you could try that. That is what i had to do to be able to get out of standby. was just a simple bios update. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back