Black screen help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to repost this...new to site, not sure how it works yet! My apologies! I will paste the original post. I was able to get into the startup menu (f12) and get this info:

Intel Celeron 253 GHz
L@ Cache 256 KB Integrated
BIOS Version A01

After I got out of startup I got this message

Primary drive 1 not found
Secondary drive 1 not found
F1 to continue
F2 to run setup

Hello All! My stepsons computer went black on me! I will give you all the info I can at this piont. Its a Dell with windows xp. I clicked on ie to open web page and the page opened then immediately shut down (tried 3 times) I rebooted, here is where the problem got worse. It boots up normally, runs all the screens until it gets to the password login screen then it just stays black! Cant login, cant see the desktop or icons, cant see anything but black! The cursor stays active, you can move the cursor around the screen but nothing happens! I tried to reboot in safe mode and still nothing! I am at a loss because I cant see anything at all but the cursor.
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Dara

You can try the F2 to run setup, then out the Windows OS disc in. If it doesn't boot from the CD, you will need to access the BIOS and change the boot order to CD first, hard drive second.

Reboot the system> right after the logo loads, before Windows would start to load, press and tap the Del key. For Dell, this will give BIOS access. Once in:
Use the directional arrows on the keyboard to skip along the top to choose 'Boot"
Then use the arrows to choose 'CD first', 'HD second'
Save and Exit
Insert CD and 'press any key'

Hopefully the system will boot from the setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back