Blackmagic's new digital film camera can record 12K footage at up to 60 frames per second

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Editor's take: Recording in 12K resolution may not seem advantageous at this exact moment in time, what with 8K televisions being the highest resolution consumer offerings currently available. But as Blackmagic notes, oversampling from 12K down to 8K or even 4K at higher frame rates is certainly advantageous. And one day, higher resolutions will eventually become the norm and we’ll be thankful to have the time capsule-like footage to reminisce on.

Australian camera maker Blackmagic Design recently announced the Ursa Mini Pro 12K, a third-generation pro-grade model boasting eye-popping capabilities that some might argue are a bit too ahead of their time.

The shooter features a 12,288 x 6,480 12K Super 35 sensor with 14 stops of dynamic range that’s built into the same chassis as its predecessor, the Ursa Mini Pro 4.6K G2. With it, users can capture footage at up to 12K resolution at 60 frames per second, 8K @ 110 FPS or 4K at up to 220 FPS at a native ISO of 800.

When shooting with the Blackmagic RAW codec, you can even edit footage on a laptop, a feat that Blackmagic says simply isn't possible with other codecs.

Other amenities include an interchangeable lens mount that affords compatibility with PL, EF and F mount lenses, built-in neutral density filters, dual UHS-II SD / CFast card readers and USB-C connectivity. Blackmagic said its new shooter is ideal for feature films, immersive large-format IMAX and even episodic television productions.

For a full list of hardware specifications to salivate over, be sure to check out Blackmagic's press release and product page.

Blackmagic’s new Ursa Mini Pro 12K is available to pre-order from today at select resellers priced at $9,995. Look for it to ship by the end of the month.

Permalink to story.

When I was in college in 2005, they were talking about how nice the OLED TV's will be that can do true black. It's been over 15 years since that conversation and still nobody can afford them. When will they try to sell them to real people, and not just people with money? The people that do have the money, have no idea what OLED is or why they would need it. They just stuck a high price on something to try and convince people it's worth it. If it was worth it. People would be buying them. At that price, it's not worth it. My 65" 4k TV was 600$. Am I going to more than double that just to get a true black picture? nope.

When I was in college in 2005, they were talking about how nice the OLED TV's will be that can do true black. It's been over 15 years since that conversation and still nobody can afford them. When will they try to sell them to real people, and not just people with money? The people that do have the money, have no idea what OLED is or why they would need it. They just stuck a high price on something to try and convince people it's worth it. If it was worth it. People would be buying them. At that price, it's not worth it. My 65" 4k TV was 600$. Am I going to more than double that just to get a true black picture? nope.
Funny thing is CRT could do black just fine. Also loved monitors that did not have a native resolution.

Funny thing is CRT could do black just fine. Also loved monitors that did not have a native resolution.
A 65" CRT would weight something like 300 pounds, be almost impossible to move, and horribly costly to ship. A nice IPS 65" 4k TV weighs under 100 pounds and cost about $700, depending on what features you want. They can cost a lot less on sale.

Last edited:
Every YouTube Video star will be getting one ....

I upload my Youtube videos in 4K 60fps and it's more than enough. Most social medias cut our videos down to 720p.

The problem is working with the files - which is why I prefer to use iPhone iMovie since I am working on a fast SSD and apble to quickly finalize videos (4K 60fps takes about 40 minutes to finalize an hour long video of 10GB).

That's why I need 1TB of storage so bad.

Far more efficient than a $2000 Mac/laptop.

55" LG 4K B9 OLED with a list price of $1,299.99 https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-OLED55B9PUA-oled-4k-tv
Expect the prices to keep dropping.

I upload my Youtube videos in 4K 60fps and it's more than enough. Most social medias cut our videos down to 720p.

The problem is working with the files - which is why I prefer to use iPhone iMovie since I am working on a fast SSD and apble to quickly finalize videos (4K 60fps takes about 40 minutes to finalize an hour long video of 10GB).

That's why I need 1TB of storage so bad.

Far more efficient than a $2000 Mac/laptop.

God phone footage is a nightmare to work with. The h264/h265 codecs are atrocious for editing. Before I went full into film career I was shooting on my phone, it made me hate editing.

OT:
So many comments about 12K being overkill online, how we don't even use 4K yet alone 8K/12K. Like clearly you aren't the target demographic and stick to your DSLR lol...

Also its focused towards the RGB demands of broadcast, and having a 12k sensor is effectively the same as a having an RGB sensor, but instead of having the typical 3 sensors (red, green, blue) on a series of prisms, its allows for what is effectively a solid state RGB sensor using one sensor, less power, and avoiding image distortion from prisms.

Certainly not for me, I would much rather prefer something like the C300 MKIII or C500 MKII (double the price) for the off-chance I need to have AF as one-man crew or low budget. Pulling focus in a fast paced doc style filmmaking is GL with that bruh.

If the camera is digital, should you be calling it a "film" camera?

Yeah, that was confusing for me too because I shoot film.

Film is not really referred to the traditional film-stock based cameras anymore. More so for professional/cinema setting & filmmakers. It's neater to call it film camera than a movie camera as well. Pretty sure most digital cameras for cinema are referred to as "digital film cameras" otherwise they would drop digital.

Title is straight from their official post:

Last edited:
A 65" CRT would weight something like 300 pounds, be almost impossible to move, and horribly costly to ship. A nice IPS 65" 4k TV weighs under 100 pounds and cost about $700, depending on what features you want. They can cost a lot less on sale.
True - had a largish Philips CRT that could even display 720p and 1080i via HDMI. It did weigh a ton - only replaced it after it broke since I did not feel like moving it.

But, on the plus side I bought it for €200 new while FHD capable LCD cost over €2000. Flat screen TV were the new thing and no one wanted a bulky high end CRT. Sad, because entry level LCD had a crappy picture and even 1080p capable higher end models did a very poor job scaling up digital SD TV or DVD.

Blu Ray movies did not look as good as on an fhd LCD, but everything else looked a lot better (HD TV was not a thing yet).

But yes, the weight....

$10k is cheaper than I expected. I'm also surprised at the amount of people calling it overkill for youtube. no, it's actually good for medium-high to large youtube channels. having access to simple high quality high FPS or high zoom levels is godsend.

Editor's take: Recording in 12K resolution may not seem advantageous at this exact moment in time, what with 8K televisions being the highest resolution consumer offerings currently available. But as Blackmagic notes, oversampling from 12K down to 8K or even 4K at higher frame rates is certainly advantageous. And one day, higher resolutions will eventually become the norm and we’ll be thankful to have the time capsule-like footage to reminisce on.

Australian camera maker Blackmagic Design recently announced the Ursa Mini Pro 12K, a third-generation pro-grade model boasting eye-popping capabilities that some might argue are a bit too ahead of their time.

The shooter features a 12,288 x 6,480 12K Super 35 sensor with 14 stops of dynamic range that’s built into the same chassis as its predecessor, the Ursa Mini Pro 4.6K G2. With it, users can capture footage at up to 12K resolution at 60 frames per second, 8K @ 110 FPS or 4K at up to 220 FPS at a native ISO of 800.

When shooting with the Blackmagic RAW codec, you can even edit footage on a laptop, a feat that Blackmagic says simply isn't possible with other codecs.

Other amenities include an interchangeable lens mount that affords compatibility with PL, EF and F mount lenses, built-in neutral density filters, dual UHS-II SD / CFast card readers and USB-C connectivity. Blackmagic said its new shooter is ideal for feature films, immersive large-format IMAX and even episodic television productions.

For a full list of hardware specifications to salivate over, be sure to check out Blackmagic's press release and product page.

Blackmagic’s new Ursa Mini Pro 12K is available to pre-order from today at select resellers priced at $9,995. Look for it to ship by the end of the month.

Permalink to story.

LINK to info. hope this is right THEN. good summer

Back