Blizzard is hiring nearly a dozen full-time employees for an unannounced Diablo project

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Highly anticipated: Diablo fans have been waiting for Blizzard to announce a proper sequel for years but thus far, it hasn't happened. Recent job listings provide hope that Diablo 4 is on the way but until it's officially announced, nothing is for certain.

Blizzard is looking to hire nearly a dozen full-time employees at its Irvine, California, headquarters to work on an unannounced Diablo project.

Details regarding the specific project weren’t shared although the sheer number of open positions suggests Blizzard could be cooking up something big.

Two possibilities immediately come to mind. Blizzard earlier this year on Twitter published a video of a demon-themed nightlight being turned on and off which many interpreted to be a hint that a port – likely Diablo III – was heading to the Nintendo Switch. A Blizzard spokesperson seemingly shot down the rumor in a follow-up e-mail to Polygon although a few days later, sources reportedly familiar with the company’s plans told Eurogamer that Blizzard is indeed working to bring the franchise to Nintendo’s hybrid console.

The other possibility – and the one that’s way more interesting – is a sequel to Diablo III. That game was launched more than six years ago and although we’ve seen some new content added over the years, I don’t think most would complain about a proper sequel.

For the Diablo project, Blizzard is looking to hire a dungeon artist, an environmental artist, a senior dungeon artist, a technical artist, general and senior software engineers for gameplay and graphics, a VFX artist and a creative director. Those interested in a position can apply over on Blizzard’s job portal.

Permalink to story.

It certainly sounds like a proper Diablo team being put together. You know what would be great? If they leveraged the Overwatch engine to make a co-op 3D Diablo game. You'd have your outside zone and your dungeon zones. People could go nuts for that.

When DIII was announced, I was hoping for a FP 3D RPG akin to the way WoW went from platform to FPS.

Honestly, I always thought Diablo had the edge (story-wise) over WoW to have been the more popular game if they had just dropped WoW and revamped D instead.

And *please* Blizzard, *simplify* things a bit. One of the appeals of Diablo 1 was its simplicity (D2 further complicated things with "gem recipes" and "crafting". D3 raised that to an absurd level.) And "online only" play? You can't stuff that nonsense up an ogre's butt.

And stay with "mouse control". Diablo players don't use gamepads to perform gymnastics that require three hands to perform.

Good luck to Blizz. I think D3 had done a lot of things right but there were a lot of big things that they didn't get right so hopefully they learn a lot from it and put together a good new Diablo game.

After D3 came out, I went to play Grim Dawn instead. GD has all the makings of what D3 should have been; intense moody atmosphere and dark aesthetics like D2.

If you watch Rhykker's videos on youtube you'll already know Blizzard have been hiring people for a Diablo project for a few years now. He regularly updates jobs posting related to Diablo.

Can't come soon enough. D3 is garbage.

After D3 came out, I went to play Grim Dawn instead. GD has all the makings of what D3 should have been; intense moody atmosphere and dark aesthetics like D2.

Ha ha, me too. I played D3 for 3 long boring years before I came to my senses. I then discovered GD and despite it's archaic game engine still delivers a captivating single player experience. God I'd love to GD get a new engine like POE or Wolcen.

I think they need to borrow a page from Path of Exile with their "skill tree" that's basically a circle in which a player can become who they really want to and not be defined as a specific "class" necessarily. If I want to have a necromancer who happens to be a body builder on the weekends and wants to crush skulls to get him his needed skeletons, why not?

Also, I would love to see them go back to the D2 style where apart from "crafting" a few recipes, one had to truly hack-and-wack until the gods smiled upon them and a Grandfather sword dropped which made your entire week. I miss that feeling...

Over the winter during a job transition, I played D3 with my brother-in-law at his place for about a week on-and-off and I was up to Level 70 within a few hours (via following him and his friends), and then into the upper extended levels within a few more hours. That's not fun. And I shouldn't be able to reach Level 70 within HOURS of gameplay.

Where is the actual earning of levels, legitimately old-school grinding where when you reach it, you are proud to have it, and it just doesn't end with a season...

Although, I will say a Diablo version of WoW would be pretty dope indeed.

Ha ha, me too. I played D3 for 3 long boring years before I came to my senses. I then discovered GD and despite it's archaic game engine still delivers a captivating single player experience. God I'd love to GD get a new engine like POE or Wolcen.

Yea, the character model/gear model could really be better in GD. But the atmosphere/world is amazing. I would love to see a sequel on a great new engine as well. Imagine it on Frostbyte or something! haha. I'm cautiously optimistic about D4...blizzard seem to have lost their ways in the last decade, imo :T

Back