Blizzard, it's time to take Warcraft back to its RTS roots

Jos

Staff

blizzard warcraft rts warcraft kotaku rts

Blizzard gave Warcraft fans one hell of a nostalgia trip last month when it debuted the cinematic trailer for Warlords of Draenor. But much like the upcoming World of Warcraft expansion that Blizzard was teasing, the video only took gamers so far down memory lane. At a certain point, a reality check was inevitable:

This wasn't a new Warcraft real-time strategy game.

It can be hard to remember sometimes given World of Warcraft's incredible popularity, but the franchise that's now synonymous with Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Games (MMORPGs) started out as something completely different. It was Warcraft: Orcs & Humans. First released in 1994 before Blizzard ever put out a Diablo or StarCraft game, this influential RTS was one of the first things that put the company on the map as a rockstar PC game developer.

Blizzard kept making Warcraft RTS games for a while after Orcs & Humans. But by the time Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos came around, it was clear that Blizzard had something else in mind for the franchise. The game that ultimately came out in 2002 was still an RTS through and through, but it introduced role-playing elements with the hero characters that players controlled throughout the single-player campaign. Something about these heroes must've stuck, because by 2004—only a year after Blizzard released an expansion to Reign of Chaos—the company debuted World of Warcraft. And, well, the rest is history. Flash forward to 2014, and the Warlords of Draenor expansion for WoW is stepping back in series history to the time period in which the original Warcraft unfolded.

This is fulfilling a dream for many. But it's not completely the dream we wanted.

World of Warcraft fans are very excited for Warlords of Draenor, especially since it's coming alongside an impressive visual overhaul of the whole game. But for originalist Warcraft fans, the nostalgia trip was ultimately a bittersweet one. Because Warcraft was a phenomenal series of RTS games, too. I, for one, fell in love with Warcraft III the minute it came out. So while I loved seeing an Orc like Grom Hellscream return with some classy new CGI, I also remembered being shaken up seeing his downfall for the first time:

My nostalgia was so powerful that, shortly after building a new powerhouse gaming PC, I promptly installed Reign of Chaos anew and dove into its campaign. I was nervous to revisit a pivotal game from my childhood. But having replayed a good chunk of the single-player campaign, I'm happy to report that Warcraft III really holds up after more than a decade. The action felt as tense as ever when I built up my human bases and lead Prince Arthas to face the hordes of undead monsters that were invading. Just as importantly, the stakes of its epic high fantasy felt just as high when I watched in horror as Arthas journeyed through the snowy tundra to his tragic...fall from grace.

I also noticed some things—particularly early in the campaign—that helped explain how isometric strategy games like this have changed over the past twelve years. One core problem that I willfully forgot was that, much like in the old Lemmings games, there can be a lot of downtime when you're just sitting there, watching as your troops hack and slash at their foes, waiting to see whose health goes down to zero first. This gets less dull as you advance in the campaign and unlock more units and building that add layers of nuance and complexity to the strategy in turn. But I kept running into the same problem of destroying an enemy base, then sitting there waiting for my soldiers to topple every last one of the buildings. At one point, I felt an urge to turn the radio on.

In between those fleeting moments of tedium, however, there's something incredible. I've played a lot of games over the past twelve years, so it's difficult to stir up the exact same thrill I had when I first booted up Warcraft III. But still: even by today's standards, this game feels epic in a way that StarCraft hasn't quite captured for me in the same way.

Played at the right difficulty, certain levels in the single-player campaign turned into intense, pitched battles. One stage late in the night elf campaign lasted more than an hour. I barely noticed that much time had passed until I got up from my desk, since I was so lost in the violent ebb and flow of trying to keep my bases intact while simultaneously taking on my opponents.

The hero units were a clever way to spruce up the RTS gameplay by giving you access to special defensive and healing abilities to help rally your troops, or offensive ones to rain down hellfire on the opposing forces. But then the awesomeness of hero units obviously lead to another question: why not make a game centered on those kinds of characters? Now we have a wide variety of games like League of Legends and Dota 2 that are often referred to as "action real-time strategy" because they did just that. Heck, Defense of the Ancients first started out as a mod for Warcraft III and its expansion pack.

StarCraft, meanwhile, has stayed strong as Blizzard's core RTS game. And now instead of modding Warcraft III levels to make something like Defense of the Ancients, modders are turning StarCraft II into Warcraft as best they can. I can't read anything into the minds of these modders any more than I can speculate about Blizzard's intentions with Warcraft now or at any point in its storied history. But I also see a longing to revisit the glory days of Warcraft, before "World" was added to its name and changed the franchise forever.

So why don't we?

Permalink to story.

Taking Warcraft to its roots means letting players focus on just the game strategy and throwing away the modern social network BS and fancy effects.

Last edited:
I get the feeling that if you're idly watching to see who's HP goes down the fastest you totally missed the point of Warcraft?

I loved all the Warcraft RTS games, played them over and over again many times. I did the same with all the SC and SC 2 titles and I spend most of time with SC2 online nowdays.
I have been waiting for a new Warcraft RTS title for long years but I think WOW just destroyed that with it's success.
I wish Blizz would hire a smaller, cheaper team of developers who would only be working on the remakes of these old titles on their newest engines. I would buy all of these remakes without a doubt. And I am just talking about a graphical improvement here, not touching anything else in the game. Not like those crappy remakes of XCOM: UFO Defense that made us all cry and forced us to play the original with Dosbox until the latest came out which is actually a very good game.

Peace

I think most of us are waiting for WORLD of Warcraft to get back to its roots (actual incentive for partying other than raids, depth in character growth and gameplay, actual skill required to excel at a class, etc). Sadly, its becoming fairly obvious that WoW is being dumbed down for consoles and mobile devices. Hopefully "Titan" will bring back some of the real feelings of accomplishment and comradeship we once enjoyed.

As an original Warcraft gamer and then World of Warcraft gamer, I think I can speak for a lot of people when saying that even though bringing back the RTS Warcraft would be nice, blizzard isn't focused on it and they won't be for a while. Many would argue that Blizzard already has a RTS series (Starcraft), which is wildly popular and highly competitive, so bringing back another RTS (Warcraft) is something that Blizzard doesn't need to devote staff and resources to work on. Now, this argument is true is some ways but is also wrong in others. It is true that having two RTS games going is not in the interest of blizzard and devoting staff seems unnecessary, but they must realize that the two games are so vastly different that trying to say that they are the same is completely false. Yeah it would be nice if Warcraft came back, but our chances to accomplish this task are very slim in my eyes.

Very nice article, well done. I could not agree more. That took me back to when I played it through, many years ago. Those were the days, life (and gaming) was simpler then. The only trolls were the NPCs you were whacking on your screen, not 13-year olds spamming chat channels with idiocy. It was nice to go back down memory lane again, thank you!

The main fault of WoW that will never and I mean never go away is that the people who designed it originally and those who have taken up the reigns come from RTS games and this is reflected in the endgame rush, quick level beat this and that then when you are ready beat this and it is a cycle that never ends and never will. people like you complain about how the game is being dumbed down which is not at all the truth what is happening is that it is being turned into a more interactive RTS game on a more grand scale. just look at all the changes in how abilities and talents are condensed and presented. OH I should also add that the ability to make macros and press a few buttons or in the case of some one button does not make you good or give you skill it just means you can make a macro and press a button or 2 in a certain order with hopefully enough luck to do it at the right time to kill something, nothing in this game requires any sort of skill whatsoever! even the min/maxers have no skill they just know math and probability....pffft

I remember getting Warcraft 1 Orcs and humans in the bargin bin at CompUSA. I loved that game but Warcraft 2 and the expansions was my favorite with all the custom puds u could make. I used to play that game all night till the sun came up. So much fun... I loved WOW even more so. I think they need to make several versions of WOW because its hard to please everyone. Blizzard did an excellent job with WOW although I did quit when the penguin expansion or whatever that last expansion was came out.

I remember for Halloween they had a zombie plague where if a zombie hit u you started slowly turning into a zombie over several days or was it hours. That was so much fun and very cool to see how a plague could spread from city to city. Unfortunatley, people started complaining about the zombie disease and blizzard removed it. My wish list for WOW: More randomness. If your going to make me go through an instance more than once at least change it up a bit, maybe randomize the monsters and their locations instead of having everything exactly the same. Like how they randomize the loot that drops. Wish 2 is stop making my weapons obsolete everytime an expansion comes out. I worked hard for my weapons. I will stop bitching now about WOW because everyone likes to ***** about WOW.

I wonder if the Rift works with WOW?

The WoW RTS series was great, but if they brought it back I would be torn between it and SC2. Not sure I have time for both in my life :)

They need to bring back Warcraft 1 and 2. I didnt like 3. If they brough back those mechanics in 4 it would be an easy sell

Why did they change the one thing everyone loved about blizzard games? The old story line...

Anyways I loved war 2 3, I still play war3 now and then. Surprisingly enough even though its been a decade you can still find multiplayer matches.

As far as I know warcraft 3 was the first game to introduce a skill based multiplayer match making system.

Starcraft 2 has no innovation, its like starcraft 1.2, I havent been impressed by a blizz game since wow wotlk. Then again I'm getting old and will probably never be impressed by another blizz game.

Last edited:
+1 a million times. I'd pay top dollar for a Warcraft 4. Starcraft II just doesn't compare to how good WC3 was.
Even if they had to come out with some sort of Subscription model for a Wc4, I would probably STILL buy and play it. It's needed that badly.

War 3 is a mix of RTS and Diablo. Not my cup of tea. War2, SC, and SC2 those are balanced RTS. War 2 still prob the greatest.

Back